Voices that have NOT been multitracked

Have you ever tried Multitracking? Post any songs you have 'multitracked' in here .. and tell us how you did it.

Voices that have NOT been multitracked

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Aug 2019 23:20

This Category is all about Multitracking .. but sometimes it is difficult to tell if a piece has been multitracked or not. Multitracking specifically meaning that a 'double' recording has been done and phrases or a counter-melody 'added into the recording' after the recording has been done.

You may remember a piece played by Charles Hughes (ChuckH) called A Trumpeter's Lullaby, written by American composer Leroy Anderson in 1949.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/uiov301m57msxn4xtxkmqnjbasu0is7z

Listening to that, I made this comment to Charles:
Loved that combination of Trumpet and Horn. Tell me, as we can hear Trumpet (on the Upper?) and Horn and chord harmonies (on the Lower?) I presume that you do not actually have three hands, but did a 'double recording'? Multi-tracked it is the expression, I think.

Charles' reply was as follows:
Hugh .. I split the lower keyboard and put a horn on the right of the split which I occasionally brought into play by stretching my right hand between upper and lower keyboard; I've not tried doing a double recording as yet. Stretching to play two keyboards with one hand does take a lot of slow practice which, in the early days, seems to be getting nowhere, then one day it just sort of comes together. I had the solo Dixie Trumpet on the upper keyboard. I used the right foot switch to change the registrations.

... so no "Multitracking" going on here.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Voices that have NOT been multitracked

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Aug 2019 23:31

Now here is another example of a recording that has not been multi-tracked .. although on first listening to it (without looking at the video) one could be forgiven for thinking that it had been. This is a piece by Peter Hayward, and has been brought to my attention by Max (Greenwilby). You can see quite clearly in this video that Peter Hayward is doing the same as Charles Hughes in the example above .. stretching his fingers between one manual and the other. Thanks for this one Max.

Look at the World .. Peter Hayward playing the Ringway RS600.

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Voices that have NOT been multitracked

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 25 Aug 2019 06:12

Hi

One of the more advanced "standard" techniques on classical organ is "thumbing down". That's where a melody or counter melody is (normally) played by the two thumbs on one manual, whilst the fingers are playing the manual above. One piece that was in my repertoire (but sadly, I don't think I've got a recording of me playing it) is Edwin Lemare's Andantino in Db. That has a whole page where your playing a bass line with your feet, an accompaniment figure on one manual (left hand), whilst the right hand plays the melody on one manual at 16ft pitch, and at the same time the right thumb is playing a counter melody/2nd part at 4ft pitch on the next manual down. Great fun.

Depending on the music, it's possible to use more than just the thumb on the lower manual - just do what works for you! There are reports of organists with unusually large hands thumbing down from manual 3 to manual 1 - missing out the one in the middle! My hands aren't bit enough for that!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Multitracking