Pentatonic Music

Something to do with playing your keyboard but don't know where to put it? Post in here.

Pentatonic Music

Postby dentyr » 18 Aug 2019 22:13

Hello, Start with the F# note and just play the BLACK notes only. With any luck you will be playing the "Tennessee Waltz". Watch all the music you play and you will find that 90% of melodies are in a pentatonic scale! Especially the Country Music. Sure there are some white notes thrown in but you be surprised at what you can do with just black notes.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Pentatonic Music

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Aug 2019 22:45

Hi Den,

Pentatonic Scale? You've got me there. A bit too much 'music theory' for me. I'll have to look it up on Google.

Google says is is called the Pentatonic Scale.

From Wikipedia:
A Pentatonic Scale is a musical scale with five notes per octave, in contrast to the more familiar heptatonic scale that has seven notes per octave (such as the major scale and minor scale). Pentatonic scales were developed independently by many ancient civilizations — an indication that pentatonic scales are based upon a naturally occurring phenomenon. They are still used all over the world, for example (just to name a few) Chinese traditional music and US country music, blues and metal.

I don't know the Tennessee Waltz, but feel I should do as it was sung by Connie Francis in 1959 (I would have been 17 at the time) .. and it's had over 10 million views!

Tennessee Waltz ( 1959 ) - CONNIE FRANCIS - with Lyrics

I'll listen to this closely and try to make out which 'black notes' she is singing.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Pentatonic Music

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Aug 2019 23:44

But first, here is another one I do remember (from when I was 6 years old!) that I know uses the Pentatonic Scale (for the Verse, anyway). The song was written for and appeared in the Bob Hope and Jane Russell film, The Paleface.

Dinah Shore - Buttons And Bows 1948

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Miscellaneous