Removing 'parts' from an Audio track

Something to do with playing your keyboard but don't know where to put it? Post in here.

Removing 'parts' from an Audio track

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Sep 2019 13:50

We had Paul Carman at Organ Club this month. He used to be a demonstrator for Orla (Italian) and now classes himself as an 'Entertainer' (rather than a Professional Organist/Keyboard player). We usually have an organist for our club, but he had brought a Korg PA4X and some foot pedals.

At one point he told us that he had heard a beautiful piece sung by (??? don't remember who, or what the piece was) who was accompanied by a full orchestra and a choir. So he bought the CD, and had a computer program that would ..

First he removed the singer's voice from the track. So you just had the orchestra and drums and choir. He then removed all the bass (because he was going to play the bass with the foot pedals on his keyboard); then removed some of the orchestral parts .. but kept the strings. And he played this 'doctored' track through his keyboard as AUDIO .. and played along with it on his keyboard, putting in bits and pieces, playing the bass part, and playing the tune. And when the choir came in, it was the full choir from the CD. You could even hear the words they were singing!

Something unusual for us to listen to. But then he's not an organist or a keyboard player, he's an 'Entertainer' .. and he certainly did entertain us. Lots of jokes and stories too. And he had a complete backing that he had recorded previously on his keyboard which he played 'through' his keyboard .. and stood up with a mic and sang the song for us. He has a wonderful voice (I think the mic had a lot of echo on it). He did this in the first half and the second half. So all in all, a nice musical evening.

Does anyone know of a program for removing singing voices, extracting strings and choirs etc. for you to use as the backing in your keyboard??

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Removing 'parts' from an Audio track

Postby dentyr » 15 Sep 2019 13:56

Hugh, You asked:
Does anyone know of a program for removing singing voices, extracting strings and choirs etc. for you to use as the backing in your keyboard??

The PSR 970 and 770 will do this somewhat. The voices are generally on the center track of a recording. If this is suppressed then you only have the music. I think if you put the music into Audacity or Cubase then you may be able to cut out what you want. Not really for me. I could take out all my mistakes when recording a midi but basically I am just too lazy to do that. What you hear is what I play. If someone listens to one of my CD's then asks me to play a number then that's what they get. I have multi-tracked a midi and then when making the wav file played along with it but generally it is just a noisy mess for me. On your home theater system you can adjust the surround sound speakers and take the volume down and leave the center speakers up full. This will allow you to hear what the person is talking about without being drowned out with the "music" they insist on putting on. On the kbd after recording in stereo you can turn off (or turn down) either the left or right tracks and hear the other one played. The vocals can't be put onto the midi, they have to be recorded when making the wav file. Hence there must be a separate track for vocals. Well that's how I see it. Alice Roberts and David Attenborough are two good examples of this.

Den
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Removing 'parts' from an Audio track

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Sep 2019 14:09

Listen to this one. Bryan Hereford must have done something like this in this Abba song, as he has used the girls' voices in his piece and you can hear the words they are singing quite clearly.

I Do I Do I Do played by Bryan Hereford.

But then perhaps not .. as in the Credits at the end of his video he says:
My thanks for the vocals go to Inga & Kate, and also to Mike Taylor for the percussion.

So not the Abba girls then!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Miscellaneous