THE LOST CHORD.

Any Religious pieces .. please post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

THE LOST CHORD.

Postby kens » 28 Nov 2021 13:09

Hi!
This is a piece I played in the early days when I was taking lessons. My teacher heavily criticized it. I now realise why. The last line of the lyrics say "It may be only in heaven I shall hear that great Amen "
It was composed in 1817 by Arthur Turner at the bedside of his dying brother. For many years it was sung by the top performers of the day. Its difficult to believe it was top the pops for so long. How tastes have changed, not always for the best. In 1912 the great Caruso sang it at a benefit concert in aid of the families of the Titanic victims.

Please be lenient on me for the quality of my playing back then. Ken S.

Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Re: THE LOST CHORD.

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Dec 2021 14:10

Ken,

You have certainly done this one justice. It needs to be played on an organ as the bass part forms an integral part of the harmony.

And again, you have put some super pictures together to complement your playing.

Here is the benefit concert in aid of the families of the Titanic victims that you mention.

Titanic benefit: Caruso sings "The Lost Chord"
Two weeks after the Titanic sank off Newfoundland Caruso sang "The Lost Chord" at a benefit concert on the evening of 29th April 1912 at the MET to raise money for the victims' families. Caruso had just recorded the song in the afternoon....

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Religious Music