Getting what you pay for ?

Found something interesting but don't know where to put it?
Post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Getting what you pay for ?

Postby Brian007 » 24 Aug 2020 18:51

Hi All,

Broadband providers are a funny bunch and promise you a great speed on sign up but it never ever seems to happen ? I am with Sky and on an unlimited download package with a supposedly max speed of 15 mbs download speed
and if the speed falls below 10% of the 15mbs for 3 consecutive days they claim they will refund you a months broadband fee ?

Any way over the weekend the speed dropped right down to 2.5 mbs and I tried everything I could think of to find out what was the matter without any joy, Sky`s Status page said broadband was working fine ?
so whilst I am checking things out I found a page in the router that showed you your broadband speed for the last six months and mine never got above 11mbs over the last six months, any way today the speed gradually picked up
to about 10mbs which is just about what I expected and was used to. so armed with this I phoned Sky and gave the the story and after doing a line check sky rang me back and said Sky would not charge me next months broadband fee
as I was not getting what I should and they would send an engineer out to check it out and see what could be done and to top it all I was told the engineer would be coming tomorrow afternoon ?

So it pays you to keep an eye on things and make use of any offers or promises they make, well done Sky

All the Best Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Getting what you pay for ?

Postby Fred » 25 Aug 2020 15:43

Hi Brian

I'm with BT and normally get about 45 download and 16 upload speeds. However, a few months ago my download speed dropped to 3. I did several speed checks over about 3 days and always got very slow speeds. I was about to make a formal complaint, when I decided to do one last check. I disconnected all my cables and gave the connections a quick clean. Low and behold the speed immediately jumped back to normal.

It is always worth checking because they will charge you if it is not THEIR fault.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Re: Getting what you pay for ?

Postby Brian007 » 25 Aug 2020 18:01

Hi Fred,

The BT engineer was here today and fitted a new master socket and did a couple of adjustments to the telephone line at the poles, we don`nt have Fibre Broadband in the small village I live in , and think it will be a long time before we do get fibre , and the results of his work has meant that my broadband speed has increased to nearly 20mps and increase of 9mbs so well pleased with that , but take on board what you say about keeping things clean and tidy .

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to This & That