Some novelty things to do with Yamaha keyboards.

Postby dentyr » 05 Sep 2020 00:37

Fade in/Fade out

On the left side of the keyboard is a button “Fade in/Fade out.” This it interesting when you watch the main screen.
Set up your registration and the intro, then press the Fade In/ Fade Out button. Note that all your volume sliders on the Main Screen have gone to Zero. Oh dear. Start the keyboard by playing your first chord and the intro will start. Watch the sliders climb back up to your original settings! Play On.
As you get to the end of your song, press the Ending button then the fade in / fade out button again and you will see the sliders slowly sink down to rest at zero. They are tired I suppose but the song ending will slowly fade out. It is quite effective but needs to be used with consideration. You don’t want all your songs to be this way.

After listening click the back arrow to get back to this page.
DEMO of "Fade in / Fade out" by Dennis

Stop the Style for a While.

For a little emphasis you can “hold” the style from playing by pressing three adjacent keys. Example F, F# and G or C, C# and D. This will hold the style but keep the drumbeat going. When you press the three keys you may get a crash cymbal to start then just the drumbeat until you play the next chord. Once you have pressed the three keys together you can take your hand off the keys. The STYLE will start up again as soon as you play that next chord.

DEMO of Stop the Style for a While by Dennis

Pressing Four adjacent keys will do the same as above but will bring in the bass as well. Five adjacent keys, difficult to achieve, will also give an unusual effect. Try it you may like it.

Slowing down – Stop sign ahead.

As you get to the end of your song you want to press the “Ending” button. OK, do that but press it again after ONE second and the ending will slow down to the end. Gives you time to think about the next piece you want to play.

DEMO of "Slowing down towards the end" by Dennis

Exercise for the Boys and Girls.

This is to get things moving along the way after the boys and girls have had some liquid lubrication. Set up your “dance” registration, ie, The Hora. (Zorbas Dance). Have Registration button one on tempo 100 to start. That’s nice and slow. Keep the same voices all through but up the tempo by 10 BPM on each of the next 7 buttons. This will take the tempo to 170 BPM. You can cheat and go up 15 BPM on the buttons 7 and 8. So button 7 will be 165 and button 8 will be 180.
Now as they dance you step up through your regs and they step up their exercises.

Fancy ending Hawaiian way.

Set up the style “Hawaiian” from the World category and press OTS button 2.
The voices will be Aloha Guitar on R1 & R2. Now into the mixing console, tab to “tune” and set the Pitch bend range to 12. As you finish the song play the last note, then the other 3 notes of that major chord then push the Pitch bend wheel right up. Gives a really good ending to the song.

DEMO of a "Hawaiian ending" by Dennis

Maybe more to come
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Some novelty things to do with Yamaha keyboards.

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Sep 2020 10:41

Den,

When you know about these things you can bring them in to what you're playing. So thanks for pointing them out to us.

The Fade in/Fade out of course can be achieved by using the Expression (Volume) Pedal .. if you have one. But I particularly liked your explanation of how to do a Stop the Style for a While. That can be very effective! Here is an example of doing this from YouTube. This piece has been played on a Tyros 4.

Vincent

And to illustrate your Exercise for the Boys and Girls here's Zorba the Greek, which as you say gets faster and faster as you move on through the dance.

So a good idea to achieve this by keeping the Registration setup the same and just to increase the Tempo as you move along through the buttons. I don't think you could do this by hand as there is no way you could take your hands off the keyboard while you were playing this, so you would have to set the footswitch up to move on through the Registration Memories as you clicked it.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Sep 2020 21:33

Here's a piece that Jon D has played that has a Stop the Style for a While in it.

Cotton Fields

https://app.box.com/s/pwun5toxr2akev00z4dt7l0fwtvbkum5

Jon didn't do it Den's three-key-pressing way. He says:
The break was built in the style on one of my foot switches that was an easy way. :) :) :)

I'll ask him what he meant by that! I want to know because I tried Den's way of pressing three adjacent keys together .. and DISASTER. Yes, the STYLE stopped OK .. but the LEFT VOICE I had allocated didn't. Hearing the discord produced by playing three adjacent notes together was quite a shock to the system! Shan't be doing that again when using a LEFT Voice!
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 11 Sep 2020 00:41

Hello Hugh.
I'll ask him what he meant by that! I want to know because I tried Den's way of pressing three adjacent keys together .. and DISASTER. Yes, the STYLE stopped OK .. but the LEFT VOICE I had allocated didn't. Hearing the discord produced by playing three adjacent notes together was quite a shock to the system! Shan't be doing that again when using a LEFT Voice!

You don't need to play the left voice all the time! I hear people play with the left voice on and the button pressed to make the voice drone on ALL the time. It becomes a drag and often it drowns out some of the melody.

The break button only gives a short break, possibly one beat whereas holding down the three adjacent notes allows you to hold the style break for as long as you wish. If you listen to my piece "Can't stop loving you" I hold the style for a whole bar or more which adds emphasis when the style comes back in; and in "Five foot two, eyes of blue" I have stopped the style in the section of the song where the melody is running down.

With both these, click the back-arrow after listening to get back to this page.
"Can't Stop Loving You" showing how having breaks in the music can be quite effective
"Five foot two, eyes of blue" with a 'break' while the melody runs down

Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards