Choosing a setup from MUSIC FINDER with the OTS

Choosing a setup from MUSIC FINDER with the OTS

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Sep 2020 17:13

Seems to me there are a few ways of using this keyboard to actually play something.

1. You can let Yamaha set it up with Voices they think would go well with some of their Styles.
    2. Choose a song from the MUSIC FINDER and again, the keyboard will be set up with a suitable Style and Voices.
    3. You can set the keyboard up yourself for what you want to play, choosing your own Styles and Voices.

2. Choose a song from the MUSIC FINDER and again the keyboard will be set up with a suitable STYLE, and VOICE combinations put into the ONE TOUCH SETTINGS all ready for you to play the song the way described above.

To look for a song in the Music Finder, press the MUSIC FINDER button on the right (lit up WHITE).

Hopefully, the songs on the screen will be in alphabetical order, but if not you can change the 'view' on the screen so it is in alphabetical order (see the video below). When you're looking to see if they list a particular song you can speed thing up by pressing the 'down arrow' in 1 underneath the screen, which will scroll down by one alphabet letter at a time (on the first press it will highlight the first song under A). And you can then move one song 'up' or 'down' by pressing the arrows in 2. When you land on the song you want the keyboard will already be set up for you to play it.

Or you can 'dial' with the DATA ENTRY wheel until you land on the song you want, but you then have to press the ENTER button to load the song in. If you have a lot of songs listed then it is best to get the letter of the alphabet showing first, and then use the DATA ENTRY wheel.

Using 'Music Finder' on Yamaha Tyros - Part One - Introduction

Using 'Music Finder' on Yamaha Tyros - Part Two - Arranging your songs

It is also a good idea to SAVE the Music Finder Songs you enjoy playing to FAVOURITES so you can find them again easily.

Saving MUSIC FINDER songs to FAVOURITES

More on using MUSIC FINDER while we're looking at it. If you find the set TEMPO not to your liking you can obviously change the Tempo before you start playing the piece. Now you would probably do this after you have set up the song. But you can if you wish put that new TEMPO you have chosen permanently into the MUSIC FINDER list. Then next time you go to play the song from the Music Finder the TEMPO will be the correct one for you.

Quick tip for changing music finder songs on Yamaha Tyros

So now I'm going to find a (simple) song to play using Music Finder. The one I have in mind is Grandfather Clock.

Leroy Troy "Grandfather's Clock"

Looking down the Music Finder list I find this:

Not sure about the STYLE they've chosen for it, but I'll have a go at playing it with what they suggest. And then I'll do it again by setting the song up with some Registration Memories of my own in Part 3. As I play this I am moving the MAIN VARIATION from B to C to D .. and back to B; and the OTS buttons are moving from 2 to 3 to 4 .. and then back to 2, giving me my change of voices.

Click the LINK below to listen.

Click the back-button after listening to get back to this page
Grandfather clock played with the OTS settings as set up by MUSIC FINDER
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Choosing a setup from MUSIC FINDER with the OTS

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Sep 2020 17:25

If you look at the bottom right hand corner of the MUSIC FINDER picture in the post above you will see that the 'NUMBER OF RECORDS' is 135. That's not very many! As mentioned in the Tyros Tipsters videos above there are many more songs available.

If you go to the UK Yamaha Website you can find a Download for MUSIC FINDER songs, which is a ZIP file. In my case I did a Google Search specifically worded as 'Music Finder for Tyros 4'. First you have to agree to their Terms and Conditions (why wouldn't you?), and then you can Download the ZIP file. Put it somewhere on your computer where you can find it (not on the Memory Stick) eg. on your Desktop. Double-click on the ZIP file to Extract the file .. to your Memory Stick.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/59207_en.html

Having put the Tyros4.mfd file onto my Memory Stick I inserted that into the Tyros 4, then clicked on the MUSIC FINDER button, and once that came up I clicked on the button corresponding to FILES, at the bottom.

On this page I was able to move across the 'tabs' at the top until I got to USB1 .. where my file Tyros4.mfd was showing. Clicking on the button next to this I was immediately asked if I wanted to REPLACE the Music Finder Data (means what it says .. Replace); APPEND the data (means 'add to' without replacing what's there already); or CANCEL.

So I clicked on REPLACE .. and now I have 1,464 songs in my MUSIC FINDER instead of the 135 I had originally.

Incidentally, I did send an email to sales@ombmusic.co.uk and David Cooper from Tyros Tipsters did reply to me and sent me the MUSIC FINDER file he mentions in his video. It was the same one as the one you can download from the Yamaha Website (with 1,464 songs on it) but much easier to handle as it came as the file Tyros 4 MFD files.mfd 'as is' (ie. not 'zipped up') so was able to be put straight onto a Memory Stick and put into the Tyros 4 .. which I did as explained above. David had a way of loading it in using FUNCTION and UTILITY. Like all computer things there's always several ways of doing the same thing!

I shall use the MUSIC FINDER for suggested setups for songs I want to play and use that as a base for creating my own REGISTRATION MEMORIES.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Choosing a setup from MUSIC FINDER with the OTS

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Sep 2020 00:11

Whatever tune you are going to play, you first have to decide on a STYLE that will suit the song. Mind you, you can get any song to fit any rhythm if you play around with the melody. Here is Jon D with one of his songs played in this way.

Click the back-arrow after listening to get back to this page.
Jon D playing I Believe on his Tyros 5

Maybe you haven't heard the original of this song before. It was sung by the Bachelors, a Dublin popular music group, and reached No: 2 in the charts in 1964.

The Bachelors - I Believe

To find a 'bespoke' STYLE to suit this you could look through some of the STYLE Categories and find something to suit, or as I suggested in my previous post you could look for the song in MUSIC FINDER and see if Yamaha have a suggested STYLE and appropriate One Touch Settings to go with it.

Looking at the list of songs in MUSIC FINDER they have this:

When it's highlighted black the keyboard is set up for playing it from the MAIN VARIATION buttons A, B, C and D in conjunction with the One Touch Settings 1, 2, 3 and 4. The STYLE chosen is 12 - 8 Ballad. INTRO III is ready to go when I play a chord (SYNC START is set up with VARIATION A).

VARIATION A has Cocktail Piano in R1
VARIATION B has Romance Clarinet in R1

Here's how this turned out (just a DEMO).

Click the back-arrow after listening to get back to this page.
I Believe played with the MUSIC FINDER setup and OTS buttons - DEMO

Well, OK. I have to say that I found the Intro VERY VERY LOUD. Just as well I have an Expression Pedal and was able to have that right back when I did the recording of this (How to Record is coming up in another Topic). The STYLE is the right beat for the song, but we could do with a 'repeating piano' in one of the PARTS. In the Bachelors song above there is a 'repeating piano' right from the word go (not an arpeggio one, which is what's in our STYLE). And there's no LEFT voice so the harmony is a bit flat (pardon the pun!). I'll have a look at this later and see what I would do to customise this Registration to play the piece myself. As I have said, I regard the MUSIC FINDER setups as means to an end. A way of getting ideas as to what I can use to play the piece.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards