Chord FINGERING

Chord FINGERING

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Sep 2020 14:45

There are several types of Chord FINGERING you can set up.
Click on FUNCTION under MENU ...

... and you will see this:

Click on the button next to CHORD FINGERING, move across to the far tab on the right and you will see the 'Fingering' options.
Press the UP/DOWN buttons under the screen to get to the one that you want.

The Top one is SINGLE FINGER.

I reckon that you have to keep your wits about you if you use these! Basically, you play a chord using just ONE finger .. or TWO? :? .. or THREE? :?

ONE finger .. gives a Major Chord with the note you're playing as the Root.
TWO fingers .. playing the next WHITE note below it as well will give you a Major 7th Chord. Eg: C & B give you C7. B & A gives you B7. Bb & A gives you Bb7. Note the A, being the next 'white note' down is used in both B7 and Bb7. That's why I said you'd have to keep your wits about you!
TWO fingers .. playing the next BLACK note below it as well will give you a Minor chord. Eg. C & Bb will give you Cm. D & Db will give you Dm. Eb & Db will give you Ebm. Again, the Db is used in both these last chords as that is the next black note down.
THREE fingers .. playing both the next white and black notes below it will give you the Minor 7th. So C & B & Bb will give you Cm7.

I wonder if playing three adjacent notes together will STOP the STYLE playing too? Just a thought! I'll have to ask Den.

Confused? :? I am!

The one people normally use is AI FINGERED.

Detects chords with only one or two keys. The actual chord used depends on the previously played chord.

What? The keyboard is going to replace the chord you want to play with the one it thinks you should play?

This is not for me! If I want a particular chord then the keyboard will play the one I tell it to play. For example, if I am playing the chord sequence C, Am, Dm, G7 and next time I want C, Am, F, G7 the keyboard may decide to play the Dm instead of the F because that is what I played before. And when playing a piece in a Minor key I may wish to end it with a Tierce de Picardie ie. a Major third. Will the keyboard decide that as this is being played in a Minor key, the last chord should be the Minor one?

So I am using this one, FINGERED.

The chord is detected when playing three or four notes. I often play four notes; and never just two. So this is the one for me.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Chord FINGERING

Postby dentyr » 14 Sep 2020 03:02

What? The keyboard is going to replace the chord you want to play with the one it thinks you should play?

Don't know where you get this. I have played ALL the variations of the chords that you quote and I get exactly what I play; 3 or 4 fingered. Ask Andy Gilbert, he is well informed about this but I would not change from AI fingered now.

The guys that wrote the program know what they are doing. We don't! Sad.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Sep 2020 23:12

Den,

I have been doing a bit of experimenting and discovered that if I use the FINGERED option I have to play chords with a minimum of three notes.

I tried playing a chord progression just holding two notes down each time: C E; A C; D F; and G B. With AI FINGERED it picked up the chords from these sets of two notes as being C, Am, Dm and G.

But with FINGERED, when playing just two notes it made a real mess of it .. and played the C Major chord all the way through. So eg. the D and F I played weren't even notes included in the backing. And that made a nasty clash with the melody which was supposed to be harmonising with Dm, and the backing was still on C!

So I have switched my Chord Fingering back to AI FINGERED and will leave it like that now.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 22 Sep 2020 06:23

Well done Hugh!, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards