Frustrations with the SX700

Frustrations with the SX700

Postby dentyr » 15 Apr 2022 02:23

The SX series is the most frustration thing that Yamaha have produced. For the most part there is no "save" button. I set my pedals to Volume for the FC7 and Step up for my FC5. As soon as I change the style the thing reverts back to default- Articulation and sustain. It means that for EVERY registration that you make you have to reset the pedals function and register them to EVERY button. The "Poke Screen" is just a gimmick, generally hit and miss. Many other things made me dump the SX900. I presently have the SX700. It is so far behind the Tyros series as to be useless. That's my opinion. Luckily I still have my T4.
When someone has paid so much for a kbd they are reluctant to own up and say that they have bought a lemon.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Frustrations with the SX700

Postby Fred » 15 Apr 2022 19:27

Hi Den

While I respect your opinion and your right to express them, you need (in my opinion) to be a bit more careful when making very assertive statements of fact. Styles do NOT store or change pedal setting. They never have and are unlikely too in the future. Also the “Save” function is still there. If you wish to leave the pedal setting alone, simply don’t save them to any registration. If you have already saved many registration with the wrong settings use Murray Best’s Registration Manager to remove them, it will do this easily for you in batch mode.

Regards

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby dentyr » 17 Apr 2022 06:46

Hello Fred, Thank you for your reply. Now I am in problems, I am sorry. However, the pedals now work ALL the time and I have no idea what I have done to make this happen.
What was happening; I brought in a style from a pack, pressed the OTS1 and NO pedal action, no volume control. Had to press the direct access button, and reset the volume setting then register it to a button if I wanted it.
I made a “base” reg so that I could overlay the voices and that worked. Now, the pedals work no matter what I do, Great :D .
I have managed to assign the touch ON/OFF to the F button. That works but I have no idea as to how I did it.
It is a long haul finding out what you want to do and when you do find out remembering what you have done.
I still can’t fathom out how to assign the other buttons (A to E) to things that I want. I would like to assign the rotary speaker to a button (B) so that when an organ flute voice is registered then I get the wind up and wind down. There does not seem to be a DSP on the 700.
Will learn as I go along I suppose. Still frustrated at times but those times are getting fewer.
Regards, Den.
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 17 Apr 2022 12:26

Hello Fred. Here’s the next problem. I set Ambient Piano in R1, Set Accordion in R2 and the Foxtrot from the Genos Easy play on button 1.
I want that style to stay there when I change to button 2 with Ambient Piano and strings so I press the freeze button as I did on tyros. Sure the style stays but the voices stay also. Take the freeze off and the voices change but so do the style to the foxtrot on the Ballroom section of the SX700.
What I am looking for; set the Genos foxtrot on button 1 with the piano and accordion. Set piano and strings with the SX700 foxtrot from the ballroom. OK, now I play with the freeze on, press button 2 and the voices should change but not the style. Take the freeze off and press button 2 again and the voices stay but the style changes. Playing with this is not as difficult as it sounds.
These are the frustrations that I have.
I have pressed the Memory button and ticked and unticked all the squares in all the combinations that I can think of but to no avail.
Sorry to be a pain but the frustrations start to get at me near midnight. :(
Kind regards, Den.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Fred » 18 Apr 2022 15:33

dentyr wrote:Hello Fred. Here’s the next problem. I set Ambient Piano in R1, Set Accordion in R2 and the Foxtrot from the Genos Easy play on button 1.

1] I want that style to stay there when I change to button 2 with Ambient Piano and strings so I press the freeze button as I did on tyros. Sure the style stays but the voices stay also. Take the freeze off and the voices change but so do the style to the foxtrot on the Ballroom section of the SX700.

2] What I am looking for; set the Genos foxtrot on button 1 with the piano and accordion. Set piano and strings with the SX700 foxtrot from the ballroom. OK, now I play with the freeze on, press button 2 and the voices should change but not the style. Take the freeze off and press button 2 again and the voices stay but the style changes.

Playing with this is not as difficult as it sounds.
These are the frustrations that I have.
I have pressed the Memory button and ticked and unticked all the squares in all the combinations that I can think of but to no avail.
Sorry to be a pain but the frustrations start to get at me near midnight. :(
Kind regards, Den.

Hi Denn

First of all Assignable Buttons

Push Direct Access Button followed by the button you wish to setup.
You will see the button (on screen) is highlighted.
Tap the highlighted button on screen
This will bring up a Menu find the setting you want and select it.
At the top of the screen you will see a tab marked "Menu" - tap this
Turn off the section that related to popup menu then exit.

Full instruction page 111 of Reference Manual.

Now Registrations.

First off though you appear to contradict yourself when describing what you are after. 1 & 2 above in the quote appears to want different things.

Call up the registration you want and select Button one.
Make sure everything is as you want for Button 1
Turn OFF the OTS Button.
Now setup the voices that you want for button 2 - Don't touch any thing like styles
Once you are happy with your selection push the Memorise button
Now select the parameters you want to save.
Now push Registration button No. 2
Follow this by pushing button 2 and check again that things are as you want.
Repeat to the other buttons as required.

Now SAVE the registration Bank and confirm that you want to over write the original.

Regards

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby dentyr » 18 Apr 2022 20:55

Hello Fred, Managed to get to the part with all the assignment slots but I did not realized that there were TWO pages for the categories. All done now, Thanks lots.
Not going to be beaten by a machine! :D
Kind regards, Den.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Genos & PSR-SX Keyboards