Recording Music with Video

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Recording Music with Video

Postby dentyr » 30 Nov 2020 01:39

Re: Video Editor

If you are using photographs (jpgs) then these have a 7 second default time. This can be altered to suit the music (MP3).
Record the music, it may be one or more songs depending on what you want to present, convert that to MP3 then add it to the video jpgs. Now you can adjust the timing of the jpgs to match the music.
If perchance you want to record yourself playing and you have the same problems as the previous post (25K starts before you get it right) then film yourself playing the song but leave off the sound on your camera. You only have to do one film sequence. You then have a silent video. Record the song to MP3 and when you put the two together you can sync the music with the fingers on the video. This saves loads of time re-doing the camera shots. It also assists if you want to insert other video shots to break up the monotony of your fingers on the keys.

Recording yourself playing.

If you have recorded your music as MP3 and are ready to post it onto the video that you made of you playing your keyboard on your camera, it may get a bit boring to have just your fingers showing on the video all the time. Also, you may have made a slight “alteration” of your fingers on the keyboard to what you hear on the music track.

Ok, go to the video and snip out the unwanted section and replace it with something nice, a meat pie for example. (Somewhere over the rainbow, weigh a pie!). Then re-adjust the video sequence to match the music. This insert can be a jpg or MP4, just suit yourself. jpgs are easier as you can adjust the timing.

Remember, it's the MUSIC that we want, the video is just to distract the listener from all the little oddities that occur. :D

Regards,Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Recording Music with Video

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 30 Nov 2020 09:40

Hi

If I may make a couple of comments having recorded quite a lot of videos recently!

Firstly, if you have audio as a WAV file, keep it in that format - all the video editing programmes I've used accept them, and mp3 is an inferior format (it throws away audio that it thinks won't be heard by the average listener - that's not true. The only advantage of mp3 is to reduce file size when putting music on the net or on a personal audio player. Never (unless you have no option) use mp3 audio for anything that might have further processing done to it (to encode as mp4 for example). Multiple decode/encode operations on compressed audio really mangles the sound.

If you're going to include a shot of your hands, record that first & use that as your master audio track - overlay more distant shots & jpg's on that. It's the simplest way to ensure the most critical shots of hands on keyboard are in sync. In most video editors you can add pictures or video to additional tracks, and the video hides whatever is underneath. It's far easier than trying to assemble different shots and maintain sync. I'm fortunate that I have more than one video camera, so setting up a more distant shot for cutaways is simple, and I just find the part I want to drop in (often to hide an edit on the main track), synchronise the audio (I usually find an obvious chord or something, line up the cursor on the main track on that, find the same point on the clip I want to insert & mark that as the start point, find an end point, and drop the clip in on video 2 - check that it's playing in sync & then delete the audio on it. In & out points can then be adjusted if you want to.

That's what works for me, and I find I can identify edit points very accurately from the audio track (but then I did use to edit audio tape for a living!)

Don't be afraid to experiment - and have fun!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 30 Nov 2020 10:52

Thanks lots for that Tony. My efforts are just simple try out as I have never had anyone to compare or discuss these things. Will keep in mind about the wave files. I know that when recording to CD or DVD it makes little difference to the size of the end product whether you use MP3 or Wave format.
Thanks again, Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 02 Dec 2020 08:01

Hi Den and Tony. Some useful information to take on board during the long cold winter days. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Return to Creating Videos