Recording into a STYLE PART.

Recording into a STYLE PART.

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 May 2023 01:54

Using the note 'B' when recording a STYLE PART

Although the first part of my topic is explaining how to record into a STYLE PART (I had to explain that, didn't I?) the real essence of this topic is further down. The clue is in the Title above.

Note: The problems I had when recording STYLE PARTS by this method have now been overcome, thanks to an observation by Drake Marker from the PSR Tutorial Forum. A full explanation of his way of recording STYLE PARTS is at the end of this Topic.

This is something I discovered several years ago about creating PARTS in a STYLE. I would never create a Style 'from scratch' (I am not a drummer, or a guitarist so wouldn't have a clue what to program in for them) but have always been happy to use a 'default' Style and make some changes to it. Usually this would involve changing the 'pattern' of the Bass PART, or putting a pattern of my own into one of the other PARTS. Bear in mind that the RHYTHM is the only PART that can be 'added to' .. or a drum sound taken out. With all the other PARTS you first have to DELETE the PART (if there is one) before you can put something in of your own.

The first thing one has to realise is that all your 'patterns' (which can be 'chords') have to be played in the key of C. So if your song has the chords C, Am, F, G7, if you were programming in eg. a 'repeating piano' you would program in the chords C, C, C, C. This is difficult to get your head around! When you subsequently use that style and play those chords C, Am, F, G7 then that is exactly what you hear played. In other words, STYLE CREATOR is what it says. It's for creating (or adjusting) a STYLE. It is not somewhere where you can program in all the actual chords you play in a song in sequence and have them all play back at you while you play the melody as a 'karaoke'.

In this topic I want to tell you something about the actual notes you play when you program something into a PART. To take you through the process I have to choose a STYLE, so I have chosen ModBigBandBld MAIN VARIATION B from SWING & JAZZ; and the 'pattern' I want to program in is an 'arpeggio', which I want to play with a Vibraphone. Has to be in C .. so I'll program in some of the notes of the C chord, starting on the C.

You can have a listen to how I shall be playing these notes above when I program them into my PART. In the DEMO below I have played the ModBigBandBld on it's own first; followed by the 'arpeggio' in C. I have played both over 8 bars as this where the pattern repeats itself ie. a MEASURE is two bars and the STYLE is 4 MEASURES = 8 bars.

I have got my REGISTRATION set up as below, with ModBigBandBld as my STYLE.

Next, press the DIGITAL RECORDING button in MENU.

Choose STYLE CREATOR.

This is the screen you get. Notice that it is showing the STYLE we have chosen at the top .. ModBigBandBld.
And near the top, on the left, it is showing that it is MAIN B we are dealing with here, so it is only MAIN B that will be affected by what we do. The other VARIATIONS will remain as they are.
Also, by default it is showing RHYTHM 2 as the slot to RECORD into.

Having listened to all the PARTS in this STYLE individually, I want to put my recording into CHORD 2.
I have already discovered that there is nothing recorded in this PART .. but if there were, I would have to DELETE this PART.
To do that you would have to press and hold the DELETE whilst pressing the CHORD 2 slot.

As I said, I didn't have to do that this time.

To set it up to RECORD in the CHORD 2 slot press and hold the RECORD CHANNEL on the right whilst pressing the CHORD 2 slot.

It's all set up to RECORD now. But ...
You will see the recording VOICE is a Grand Piano. Don't want that.
You can choose your own VOICE to record with.
Press a VOICE CATEGORY on the main part of your keyboard.
I have pressed PERC./ DRUM KIT and chosen VIBRAPHONE.

Press the EXIT to go back one screen ...

... and now we see the VIBRAPHONE as the VOICE set up in CHD 2.

Off we go. All set? Get the METRONOME going so we know where we are with the 'beat' .. although the RHYTHM is ON, and that may be enough to keep to the beat. Put the SYNC START on so it's flashing .. then when we press a note with the right hand the recording will start (you're used to things starting when you press a chord with the left hand .. but this is different. It's the right hand that starts the recording going).

To remind you what notes we are playing, here they are again:

While you are playing those notes, count in time with the metronome / drum beat 1, 2, 3, 4 .. 2, 2, 3, 4 .. 3, 2, 3, 4 .. 4, 2, 3, 4 .. the PATTERN LENGTH .. then stop playing. The pattern will repeat itself. Unlike when recording a MULTI PAD you don't press anything to stop it at this stage. What you have recorded will 'loop round' and keep playing until you stop it. Just listen to what you have played and see if you are happy with it. Then press the START/STOP button at any point to stop it playing. If you are not happy with it, you can DELETE the slot (as explained above) and do it again. If you are happy with it, press the EXIT ...

... which takes you to this screen.
Where you can SAVE it.

Give your new STYLE a NAME in the usual way. I shall just add a 2 to the original name of the Style, so I get ModBigBandBld2. This is SAVED into USER.

Now I am going to find my new ModBigBandBld2 STYLE and see what I get when I play a few chords.
No melody .. just a few CHORDS so you can hear what my Arpeggio I put into CHORD 2 sounds like.

The chords I am playing are ...

/ C - - - / C - - - / Cmaj7 - - - / Cmaj7 - - - /
/ C7 - - - / C7 - - - / F - - - / F - - - /
/ C - - - / C - - - / C

Did you hear those lovely Cmaj7 and C7 Arpeggios (C7 leading into F)? Neither did I! The only Arpeggios I heard were the C and F ones. Bearing in mind what we have just done .. create an Arpeggio in CHORD 2 in the STYLE .. we should be getting an Arpeggio from that CHORD 2 PART to reflect the chord we are playing with our left hand.

In my next post I'll explain what is going on here, and what notes I should have played for my Arpeggio for it to work with those 7ths and maj7ths. The clue is in the Title .. The note 'B' when recording a STYLE PART.

To be continued ...
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Recording into a STYLE PART.

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 May 2023 23:28

Topic continued ...

Let's just check first to see if I am playing 'allowed' notes.

From the Tyros4 Reference Manual:
Rules when recording non-rhythm channels
• Use only the CM7 scale tones when recording the BASS and PHRASE channels (i.e., C, D, E, G, A, and B).
• Use only the chord tones when recording the CHORD and PAD channels (i.e., C, E, G, and B).
For the INTRO and ENDING sections, any appropriate chord or chord progression can be used.

Well, I am recording into CHORD 2 and am only using the notes of C, E, G and B.

They then go on to say:
Using the data recorded here, the auto accompaniment (Style playback) is appropriately converted depending on the chord changes you make during your performance.

Or in other words, when I am playing a song and use this STYLE, the data is appropriately converted to suit the CHORD I am playing with my left hand. It certainly played the C .. and the F (major chords). And it would also have played minor chords, augmented chords, and diminished chords in any key .. but not 7th or maj7th chords.

The reason for this is because there is something going on here that they don't tell you.
The note of B isn't a 'proper' note. It is a "Joker" .. meaning it stands for THREE notes .. C, B and Bb. And which one of those it actually plays depends on the chord you are forming with your left hand when playing a song.

So when you record your notes into a PART in SONG CREATOR, don't use C unless you want the C to stay as a C regardless. If you want it to mimic the chord you are playing with your left hand then play a B instead of a C.

Back to the drawing board.

I am going to play my Arpeggio again, but this time will play the B instead of the C.
These are the notes I shall by playing for my 'measure'. And this time, to make it sound a bit 'higher' I shall start with the E instead of the C.

Listen to the notes I am programming in.

Now this very much goes against the grain, as this is an E minor chord, and you will hear it as such as you are playing it.
But trust me, it will play a C instead of a B when you are playing a C major chord.

I have been through all the steps described above, putting this pattern into CHORD 2, and finally SAVED the Style as ModBigBandBld3.

Having found my ModBigBandBld3 STYLE I am going to play a few chords again.
Again, no melody .. just a few CHORDS so you can hear what my Arpeggio sounds like this time.

/ C - - - / C - - - / G7 - - - / G7 - - - /
/ C - - - / C - - - / C

Click the below and have a listen.

That's better! The 'pattern' I put into CHD 2 is now playing the harmonies for my chords correctly. And all because I programmed in a B instead of a C and the "Joker" B has done what it's supposed to do and played a C for the C chord; a B for the Cnat7 chord, and a Bb for the C7 chord.

Here is another DEMO using ModBigBandBld3.

I hope this topic has given you an understanding of how "programming a PART into a STYLE" works.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 11 May 2023 01:46

That is great, at least the arpeggio is not overwhelming. Very well done.
Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 11 May 2023 15:42

Hugh, is your genius unlimited? You never fail to amaze me with some of your recent eye opening techniques.
Now, I just need to find some motivation and try out your latest revelation. The TDP Forum must consider itself very lucky to have your talent being put to such good use. Well done :lol:

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2023 00:18

In all the Yamaha handbooks it tells you to use only the CM7 scale tones when recording the BASS and PHRASE channels (i.e. C, D, E, G, A, and B); and use only the chord tones when recording the CHORD and PAD channels (i.e. C, E, G, and B). I have been recording my STYLE PARTS this way (with the "Joker" B) since 1998, but Drake Marker from the PSR Tutorial Forum has explained to me how he programs his notes in.

With keyboards, you don't have to program everything in in the key of C as there is an option to change this. But why base your note patterns in another key? C is the simplest key to work in. Drake does base everything on C .. but doesn't use the M7 scale tones to do it. And he always records into the PAD slot. To show you what Drake does, I'll follow through an example of programming something in. This time I am going to program in a 'repeating piano'. Working in C, I will be playing these three notes of the C chord (as a chord) .. G, C and E.

As before, I am using the STYLE ModBigBandBld and am loading this into STYLE CREATOR.
Note once again that the STYLE NAME is showing at the top, and VARIATION MAIN B is showing.
I have set STYLE CREATOR up to RECORD into PAD this time.
And I have set my recording Voice to Ambient Piano.

But this time, before recording anything Drake says to move along to the tab PARAMETER.
This is what you see when you get there.

The SOURCE ROOT is on C by default, and it's here that you can change the key you are working with to another one if you so wish.
I will keep this on C.

The second column shows the SOURCE CHORD, which by default is on M7.
Clicking on the arrows underneath reveals the other choices in this column, which are:

Not sure of the significance of all these choices, but Drake says he always goes for the first one, Major.
So this is what I have done .. chosen Major.

Have then gone back to the BASIC tab and recorded my 'repeating piano' with the chord notes of G, C and E (no "Joker" B in this). Drake says that he always sets the PARAMETER to Major and finds the notes he programs in always come out correctly when he COPIES the PAD slot to one of the others. Now, I haven't done that. I have left my recording in the PAD slot.

I have SAVED my adjusted STYLE as ModBigBandBld4.
Having found my ModBigBandBld4 STYLE I am once again going to play a few chords.
Again, no melody .. just a few CHORDS so you can hear what my Repeating Piano sounds like.

/ C7 - - - / C7 - - - / A7 - - - / A7 - - - /
/ D7 - - - / D7 - - - / Em - - - / Em - - - /
/ C7 - - - / C7 - - - / A7 - - - / A7 - - - /
/ C - - - / C - - - / G7 - - - / G7 - - - /
/ C - - - / C - - - / C

How about that then? All the chords have come out correctly without having to use the "Joker" B.
So in future I shall be recording all my 'patterns' using the SOURCE CHORD choice as Major.

Here is another DEMO using the ModBigBandBld4 STYLE (with the repeating piano) to play My Way.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 May 2023 17:28

I'm sure people are saying, "Why bother to do all this?". It all depends on how one wants to play something. Do you find a STYLE that will 'fit' your song? Or do you have something in your head that you want to include in your song?

I have been wanting to play My Way (you have already heard a bit of it) .. but wanted to play it 'my way'. I had said at one point that a good place to look for a setup is in the Music Finder .. and sure enough, this song is in there.

The STYLE set up for you is EpicBallad. I suspect that this will give me the 'Frank Sinatra Way'. I have had a go at playing it, but have deliberately changed the MAIN VARIATION from A to B to C to D (together with the OTS VOICES) every few bars in order to hear what sounds we have been given (wouldn't normally change the sound after just a few bars!).

This is what I have come up with.

My Way - Music Finder Way.

I'm sure many of you would come up with an amazing Frank Sinatra "My Way" .. but this setup is not me.

I had put together ModBigBandBld3 (with my 'Arpeggio'); and ModBigBandBld4 (with my 'Repeating Piano'), so I'll use those. And the Voices I have chosen are BreathySax (a SA2 Voice .. so I can get it to 'slide' up to the note with help from my foot pedal); and Trombone.

My Way - played 'my way'.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with Keyboards