Another look at Changing STYLES as you play through a song.

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 May 2023 21:02

When you play a song, how do you go about changing the STYLE as you play through it? Or do you just stick to the same backing from beginning to end? Most people, once they have made their minds up which Style they are going to use just stick to the same one, and switch between MAIN VARIATION A, B, C, and D. But by sticking to the same STYLE from beginning to end you don't always get the best out of a song, and sometimes you can be really creative when 'arranging' your song by choosing a completely different backing. You will then get a different bass part, and a different drum beat.

So how do you go about finding other STYLES that may fit parts of your song? Or even decide which STYLE to use in the first place! The answer is to check through several STYLES, keeping the TEMPO the same. How else would you know if a STYLE would suit the song you are playing? Chris (overover) from the PSR Tutorial Forum has mentioned in one of his posts how you can keep the set TEMPO going:
For models up to and including Tyros4 and PSR-S910/710, in "Style Settings > Style Change Behavior > Tempo" only the settings "Reset" (= default setting) and "Hold" (= tempo is not changed if a different style is selected while the Style is running) are available.
The "Lock" setting is additionally available there for Tyros5, Genos and PSR-S/SX models from PSR-S950/750. If this is activated, the current tempo will be retained even if the current style is stopped and then a new style is selected. Important: the "Lock" setting mentioned is actually only useful temporarily, especially to find a suitable style for a certain song title at a given tempo. By the way, I still mostly use the "Hold" setting, mainly because it can remain activated permanently, i.e. it doesn't interfere with normal operation. When searching for a style, you just have to be careful not to stop the style so that the set tempo is maintained.

Chris says that he has his keyboard set up permanently on the "Hold" setting .. and I do too. I always set up a REGISTRATION BANK for each song I play (and NAME it with the name of the song) as at the end of the day I have a bespoke arrangement for playing just that one song.

This is how to set your keyboard up to "HOLD" the STYLE TEMPO.

Press the FUNCTION button in MENU.

In the next screen, choose STYLE SETTING / SPLIT POINT / CHORD FINGERING.

This is the screen you get. In STYLE SETTING, STYLE CHANGE BEHAVIOUR set the TEMPO to HOLD.

Now it will HOLD the TEMPO when you change the STYLE 'on the fly' .. but only when the keyboard is 'playing'. If you STOP the Style playing and then choose another STYLE it will revert back to the 'default' TEMPO.

If you did want to find out what the 'default' tempo of a Style was while it was playing on "HOLD" just press the PLUS and the MINUS buttons together on TEMPO (it does say RESET underneath!).

Now set your keyboard up so it is playing a STYLE (you have to have the ACMP ON). Don't have a LEFT HAND VOICE, don't have the OTS LINK on, and don't play a melody. Just play some chords and listen to what the drummer, the bass player and the backing PARTS are doing. While you are playing some chords, switch the MAIN VARIATION from A, to B, to C, to D and make a mental note of what these are doing.

Don't stop the STYLE from playing. Next, press a CATEGORY button in the STYLE section, and press the button next to a STYLE you want to try. The STYLE will start playing, not at the 'default' TEMPO showing by the Style Name, but at the TEMPO you have the keyboard set at. At this point you can try out the A, B, C and D VARIATIONS to see what they sound like. Then choose another STYLE in that category and see what that sounds like. Check the A, B, C and D VARIATIONS. Maybe then try a completely different CATEGORY and try a STYLE from that.

Note that I am not 'saving' anything to a Registration Memory at the moment. I am just listening to what these various STYLES sound like, and if any of them would suit the song I am going to play. I know this is the age of technology, but a piece of paper and a pencil wouldn't go amiss to jot down any STYLES that catch your eye (or maybe I should say, catch your ear as listening is the important bit).

I will repeat here, the essence of all this is to keep the keyboard playing while you are changing STYLES and listening. If you stop the style playing then any new styles you choose will revert back to their 'default' TEMPO.

You may think that by pressing the FREEZE button you would 'freeze' the TEMPO for any subsequent choices of Style. No. it doesn't. The FREEZE is over in the REGISTRATION MEMORY section and we're not using that.

Below is a DEMO of doing this. I have set up the keyboard with Danzon from the Category LATIN, at a TEMPO of 128. Then switched to Bossa Nova in the same Category. Next, Country Blues from COUNTRY, followed by Pickin' Swing from the same Category. Then 60's Guitar Pop from POP & ROCK, followed by Bubblegum Pop from the same Category. Then Swingfox from BALLROOM .. and finally Jive from the same Category. Note that by not 'stopping' the STYLE from playing, all these are at the TEMPO of 128 that I chose at the start. For this recording I have kept the MAIN VARIATION on C for all of them.

STYLES from various CATEGORIES, all at a TEMPO of 128

With regard to listening to STYLES and finding something that would suit a particular song, I think it all comes down to if you are just wanting to play something, or wanting to get your keyboard to do something specific. Most people say to me they'd rather just sit down and play their keyboards than spend time trying to do other things with them. To make an 'arrangement' that is specific to one particular song you have to know in your head what it is you are trying to do, and it takes a great deal of time and effort to set everything up. Sufficient to know that the keyboard you have has all the technology to create something of your own should you wish to do that.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Another look at Changing STYLES as you play through a so

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 May 2023 21:27

A couple of examples now, putting this into practice.

The Young Ones.

This starts with the STYLE 60's Pop Guitar from POP & ROCK at 128 bpm (one I was trying out in the DEMO above). Next, it's Bubblegum Pop, another STYLE I tried in the DEMO above. I thought Bubblegum Pop with it's emphasis on beats 1 & 3 with the piano was perfect to use here, so have brought that in for just two bars. Then back to 60's Pop Guitar. For the Chorus it goes on to 60's Vintage Pop, giving a dramatic change to the whole feel of the song. And finally, it's back to the original 60's Pop Guitar STYLE. All three are on MAIN VARIATION C.

An 'Arrangement' of 'The Young Ones' using the different STYLES mentioned above - DEMO

If you want to listen to this piece right through from start to finish, it's here:

The Young Ones played by Hugh Wallington on Tyros 4

Another one where the STYLE changes ..

Slow Boat to China.

First, Orchestral Ballad from SWING & JAZZ @ 116 bpm; followed by Easy Listening from the same Category; and finally, Swing Fox from BALLROOM.

Slow Boat to China played by Hugh Wallington on Tyros 4

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jun 2023 23:04

Here's another example of listening to various STYLES at the same TEMPO (in this case 68 bpm) and choosing two very different STYLES to use with different parts of the song.

(I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You.

Of course we all associate this number with Elvis Presley. In my version I have used two STYLES, both on MAIN B. The first (12-8 Ballad from BALLAD) has an 'arpeggio' in the backing; and the second (6-8 Slow Rock 1, also from BALLAD) has a 'repeating piano'. These two STYLES make a great contrast in the two parts of the song. I have also brought in a LEFT HAND VOICE after the first verse. I like to do this as it brings out the harmony of the piece I am playing.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 18 Jun 2023 09:58

Hi Hugh,

That certainly adds a whole new dimension to what can be achieved with an arranger keyboard , its just up to the individual as to how much effort they want to put into the piece
good information,

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 18 Jun 2023 09:58

Hi Hugh,

That certainly adds a whole new dimension to what can be achieved with an arranger keyboard , its just up to the individual as to how much effort they want to but into the piece
good information,

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with Keyboards