Using a "Free Play" STYLE

Using a "Free Play" STYLE

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Apr 2021 14:09

Using a "Free Play" STYLE followed by a 'normal' STYLE with a rhythm.

I thought I would have a go at playing "Feelings" with the "Free Play" STYLE Ethereal Voices (with no rhythm) for the Verse, and then when I got to the Chorus switch to the Latin STYLE Danzon (with a rhythmic backing). What threw me to start with was that when I was using Ethereal Voices the keyboard was counting 1, 2, 3, 4 in the background ... and I was playing the piece without being aware of any rhythmic structure in what I was playing. So when I switched to my 'fixed rhythm' my timing was all out because the keyboard would only change to my new Style when it got to the first beat of the next bar.

In the end, the solution was to get the METRONOME working (with the 'clang' on the first beat of the bar) so that I could keep in time with what the keyboard was doing in the background. I was then spot on to hit 'Feel __ings' on the first beat of the bar. Yet listening to the first part of the song, you wouldn't know I was keeping to a strict 4 beats in the bar .. it sounds as though I am playing 'freely' as the mood takes me.

Having the METRONOME going is fine when doing a recording as the sound of the Metronome does not come out in the recording.

"Feelings" recorded with the METRONOME keeping me to the beat.

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Using a "Free Play" STYLE

Postby barwonfan » 28 Apr 2021 01:46

I love Freeplay styles. I sometimes use them to introduce a song which is in 4/4 time, and sometimes I use them to introduce a song in 3/4 time. I assume that a free style means that it has no beat built into it. But maybe I am incorrect in saying this. I would like one of our members to comment on the use of freestyles, please. I also love Ethereal styles and wonder how may of our members use Ethereal Styles. J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Apr 2021 09:59

JT,

You'll like this one then. Played on the Tyros 5 and uses various freestyles and voices.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 28 Apr 2021 11:52

I absolutely loved Flower of Portencross. I have never heard this song before. I assume it is using ethereal style in addition to free styles. Am I correct in assuming this? Also, I would like to know if I should be able to work out the beat used in the song. Is the accent on the first beat of the bar or somewhere else? One day I must look out for a program on the internet which will teach me how to recognize time signatures when I hear them. I am now going to try and find some more songs played by Graham, Is he a member of this Forum? Thank you for posting this wonderful song and the lovely pictures accompanying it J.T.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Apr 2021 12:09

JT,

No, Graham is not a Member of this Forum, but he does have a YouTube Channel. I have asked him (in a YouTube comment) if he has recorded any more like this and he says he will do some soon (he says "Stay tooned").

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Using a "Free Play" STYLE followed by a 'normal' STYLE

Postby barwonfan » 28 Apr 2021 12:20

Thanks, Hugh. What an amazing world we live in when I get a message from you from the other side of the world within the hour!! J.T.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Apr 2021 12:25

JT,

And this within a few minutes!

I've found another one played on his Tyros 5, this time using a "Free Play" STYLE followed by a 'normal' STYLE .. and then going back to the "Free Play" Style at the end. I really like the way you can play a piece in this way.

The Bays of Harris

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Apr 2021 14:08

I've found a YouTube video on this by the Tyros Tipsters (now Genos Tipsters). This explains not only about Freeplay Styles, but David also talks about the One Touch Settings and getting the VOICES associated with the STYLE chosen; and about the fact that he SAVES the setup he is using as a Registration Memory Bank; and using the PITCH BEND. The technique of using this is to rotate the wheel down and then release it as you play the melody note .. so the melody note 'slides' up to the correct pitch. A technique that you have to master!

As far as SAVING what you hear from your keyboard is concerned, I always say, "If you like what you are hearing, SAVE it in a REGISTRATION MEMORY". There is no guarantee that you will ever find that sound you liked so much again (as I have discovered, to my cost!).

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 May 2021 00:17

This Hymn (below) I have played using only a Freeplay Style (Ethereal Voices) .. but haven't kept the same sound all the way through. What I have done is to allocate a LEFT HAND VOICE (with the LEFT HOLD "ON") to add to the sound produced by the Freeplay Style. I have kept the Freeplay Style going right through to get the continuity, but for the second verse have set the Style VOLUME to ZERO so all you hear is the LEFT HAND VOICE. This makes a subtle change to the sound, making it quieter, and by choosing a completely different LEFT HAND VOICE for the next verse (a Chapel Organ) you get yet another change in sound.

The Day Thou Gavest Lord Is Ended

I heard this for the first time when I was about 14 years old, sung by the school choir in the school chapel. Was completely mesmerised by the harmonies and have never forgotten it.

The harmonies. This is how the guitarist in our band wrote all the chords out for us .. in bars .. and I have done it like this ever since. You can see the beats in the bar (3 in this hymn) and can see on what beat of the bar the chord changes.

/ G - - / Bm - - / Am - - / D7 - - /
/ G - - / Em - - / A7 - - / D7 - - /
/ G - - / Bm - - / Am - - / D7 - - /
/ G - - / Em - - / C - D7 / G - - /

For the CHOIR I had the HARMONY ECHO 'ON' so the choir would add the chord notes I was playing in my left hand into the mix. When I had the Orchestral Oboe playing for the last verse, I made sure that was not included in the Harmony Echo setup, so it was playing single notes. This works a treat for Voice Setups eg. you can have a piano playing single notes and have the Harmony Echo ON for strings .. then you hear a whole orchestra accompanying your piano.

The Day Thou Gavest Lord Is Ended played using a Freeplay STYLE

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 May 2021 14:48

When I started this topic I said that when using a Freeplay STYLE, although theoretically you can play 'freely' as the STYLE has no specific Rhythm, there is a problem when trying to follow it with a 'normal' Style with a fixed rhythm .. and that is with regard to getting your 'normal' Style to start on the first beat of the bar when you switch from one to the other. With the Freeplay STYLES the keyboard is actually counting "1, 2, 3, 4" in the background and the keyboard waits until it gets to beat '1' before switching over.

I reckon that the only way I can get the keyboard to come in on the first beat of the bar is to get the METRONOME going and 'play' to that whilst using the Freestyle (which sort of defeats the objective of playing 'freely'). In that Hymn I played in my post above, there were three beats in a bar, yet the Freestyle I was using (Ethereal Voices) was counting 4 beats in the bar in the background. This didn't hamper me playing 'freely' with three beats in a bar, but clearly would have caused a problem had I wanted to introduce a normal 'three beats in a bar' Waltz Style for my Hymn. I couldn't even have 'played to the Metronome' whilst playing the Freeplay Style as the emphasis on the first beat in every four would have completely thrown me. I did look for a 'three beats in a bar Freestyle' .. but we don't have one on the Tyros 4.

So here's another tune I have played using a Freeplay Style (with the METRONOME going so I can 'keep to the beat'), followed by two standard STYLES from the Tyros 4, 70'sCountryPop and CaliCountry.

The tune is called Emil - A Lullaby. You won't have heard of it as it was composed by one of the teachers at the school where I worked .. Roger Burrell, who taught German and Music. He wrote a play for the children to perform on stage, translating the story from a German novel called "Emil and the Detectives" .. and turned this into a full blown Musical. He said to me that he had all these tunes in his head when he was at Music College, and now, years later just felt he had to do something with them.

Briefly, this is the story of Email and the Detectives.
Emil's mother puts some money into his top pocket and sends him by train to Berlin to visit his grandmother. Emil drops off to sleep and his money is stolen by a crook. Emil must get the money back as it is for his grandmother. While following the thief, Emil runs into Gustav, an enterprising young boy who gathers up all his friends to help Emil find the money. Emil's cousin also gets involved and they get into more trouble than they bargained for when Emil's pickpocket turns out to be a wanted bank robber.

Emil - A Lullaby was some background music played by Roger on the piano, accompanied by a friend on an Oboe. The children were telling the stories of what their homes were like, as they settled down to sleep camped outside the Hotel opposite them, where the thief had checked in for the night.

The Freeplay STYLE I have used for this I have called EmilFreeplay, and if you want to try it you can download it from the Attachment at the bottom. In addition to the Freeplay Style I have used the LEFT HAND VOICE DarkFatSaw (with the LEFT HOLD "ON") to add more body to the mix.

Emil - A Lullaby

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 May 2021 23:06

Here's another one played with a Freeplay STYLE. This is by Jacky (ernest) and played on his Tyros 4.

Couronnée D'étoiles
Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
Couronnée D'étoiles played by Ernest on Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 May 2021 21:51

Another Freeplay STYLE used here, this time by Swallow on his Tyros 5.
Just beautiful!

The Nuns Chorus
https://app.box.com/s/b5k88qsj35nftjcb1vrirm9opdn7a17l
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 May 2021 16:09

I just love how these Freeplay STYLES have been used. No good for dancing to .. but great for listening to!

Here's one with Torben (from Denmark) accompanying his magnificent lady singer, Laura.

Pie Jesu
https://app.box.com/s/8lhq833xun5yuxpfu9vqetl6eium24s2
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 May 2021 00:16

Here is another piece using a Freeplay STYLE, played by Jacky (ernest) ...

Once Upon A Time In The West
https://app.box.com/s/eeg1cm8ch13yuq34ixdk6y4tq042q99j

I have asked Jacky what Freeplay SYLES he has been using in the pieces he has played, but he has only kept the audio recordings and no longer has the REGISTRATIONS. But he says:
I send you all the Freeplay styles that I have. If you want to share them with others, no worries.

So I have attached the files below, as a ZIP file.

First, make sure you have a Memory Stick inserted into a USB Port in your computer. Then Download the ZIP file onto your computer/laptop (eg. into your Downloads folder, or onto your Desktop), find the ZIP file and double-click on it. The STYLE Files will show, and Extract all will be showing at the top. Click on this.

You will be asked to find a Destination Folder to save the files to. Find the Memory Stick in the drop-down box and click on it. In my case it is Drive F.

Click on Extract.

If Windows Security tells you the files may harm your computer, ignore that. Just press the OK and "Do it anyway". Windows Security doesn't know what files ending in .STY do, or are for. Hence the warning.

The files will show on the Memory Stick, which you can then try in your keyboard. Some are SFF1 styles and some are SFF2 files, so they may not all work on your keyboard.

**Note**

The correct way to remove a Memory Stick from your computer

1. Run Explorer
2. Look for the Drive allocated to the Memory Stick (in my case, Drive F).

3. Do a right-click and choose Eject.

A message will com up bottom right telling you it is safe to remove the Memory Stick from the computer.

You don't have to do anything when removing a Memory Stick from your keyboard .. and it tells you when you have removed it. With both the computer and the keyboard, the essence is that the Memory Stick must not be 'working' when you remove it. The keyboard tells you not to turn the power off while DATA is being transferred to the Memory Stick or the DATA will be corrupted. A computer does not tell you when a Memory Stick is being used, hence the reason for doing the above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 14 May 2021 06:20

Thank you, Hugh for your post and including Ernest's playing of 'Once upon a time in the west" I especially liked the bit at 1.55 mark to 2.20 mark. I think Ernest is very kind making those Free Styles available to members. I look forward to trying them out on my PSR970. J.T.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 May 2021 09:33

JT,

I've added a bit to the post above re: Removing a Memory stick (Flash Drive) from a computer. Look for **Note** above.

I'll be interested to know which ones work on your PSR970 and which ones don't. I would expect all the SFF1 ones to work. Any SFF2 ones that do not work I can convert to SFF1 Format using one of Jørgen Sørensen's programs from The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site ..

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm

Let me know as I can put up another Attachment ZIP File with all of them converted to SFF1.

This is what Jørgen's program is telling me about the Freeplay STYLES.

SFF 1 - F01 Organ.S807.STY
SFF 1 - F02 Ballad.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F03 Orchestra.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F04 Movie.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F05 Movie2.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F06 Movie3.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F07 Broadway.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F08 Hymn.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F09 Brass Hymn.T072.sty
SFF 1 - F10 Synth.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F11 Voices.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F12 Concert.T072.STY
SFF 1 - F13 Organ Bld.T072.STY
SFF 1 - Prayer FreeSty.S725.sty
SFF 2 - !FreestyleIMN.S725.STY
SFF 2 - AGFreestyle1.S404.STY
SFF 2 - Concert Free.S062.STY
SFF 2 - Elec Free Play1.sty
SFF 2 - Elec Free Play2.sty
SFF 2 - ElecOrgBallad.T125.STY
SFF 2 - EtherealVoices.T150.fps
SFF 2 - F11 Voices2.T072.STY
SFF 2 - FreeExplorer.S852.fps
SFF 2 - Freestyle.S725.STY
SFF 2 - FreeÝEÝxplorer.S852.fps

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 May 2021 17:20

Here's another example of how effective a Freeplay STYLE can be, this time providing a contrast between the opening bars (with a rhythm), the Freeplay Style .. and then returning to a rhythmic Style.

Jacky (ernest) playing "Out Of Africa".
https://app.box.com/s/dv12ud1n7giyyfx5t8j4fwmyn5ewj4n3

And in this one Jacky has just used a Freeplay STYLE for a 'classical style' instrumental piece.

Adagio Romantique by Alain Morisod
https://app.box.com/s/c87ja28dalfkkgk0n25dif8orc004myo
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2021 17:32

Jacky has played another piece incorporating a Freeplay STYLE in conjunction with a normal rhythmic Style. The composer of this piece was Rolf Undsæt Løvland, a Norwegian composer, lyricist, arranger, and pianist. He formed the Celtic-Nordic group Secret Garden and wrote "Adagio" in Spain in 1988.

Adagio
https://app.box.com/s/3jabed044tkeoawf7owt9x18tqb0l4uh

This is the comment I made to Jacky about it:
Is there no end to the expertise and imagination you have when putting something like this together? That really was a lovely piece to listen to, with those rich sounding chords and strong voicing. You are not just a keyboard player .. you are a musician!
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jan 2022 15:35

Another from Graham Wilson. In this piece he mixes a Freeplay Style with a 12/8 one.

Annie Laurie

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jan 2022 17:07

The music in this video is Aura Lee, and has been played by John Trevor James using Freeplay Styles from beginning to end.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jan 2022 23:17

More on these FREE PLAY STYLES

I have been experimenting with FREEPLAY STYLES, and found one I like called Ethereal 2 done by Eileen (from the PSR Tutorial Website). I had considered using Ethereal Voices, which is one of the default ones I have .. but that has no Bass! Eileen's does .. a strong bass. This says on it 4/4 and a TEMPO of 80. Freeplay Styles seem to have a 'measure' of 32 bars before they repeat. I can't understand why a Freeplay Style should have any 'structure', as I thought the whole idea of a Freeplay Style was that it was a backing for you to play 'freely' with. I wanted to play Handel's Largo, and that is in 3/4 time. Ethereal 2 has some 'wha-wha' in the backing (so does have some 'structure'!) which I wanted to hear, so to bring this out I have put the TEMPO up to 120bpm.

Now, as my Freeplay Style has no rhythm and I want to hear 3 beats in a bar when I play Handel's Largo .. but not in a 'rigid' fashion .. I decided that I could get my left hand to do that by allocating a LEFT HAND VOICE. I wanted a left hand voice that was 'percussive' so it would pick up the movement of my left hand .. ie. I am not just 'holding' chords down. I tried a piano voice, but that was too dominant, and in the end found one called Sinesphere.

I have chosen WhisperGallery for R1. This is a sort of 'whistle' that lags behind the melody being played, which gives quite an attractive sound.
Then in R2 I have AmbientPiano, which being a percussive instrument plays the melody quite prominently.

I am not using R3 (Vibraphone) so that is a hangover from another song. And top left, SONG = Beautiful Dreamer also has no bearing on the setup I am using! And I'm not using the MultiPads.

So this is what I have set up, and you can see the Volumes for the balance at the bottom.

I have also turned all the PARTS of the Style to OFF apart from BASS and CHORD 1.

Click the below to listen to how my Handel's Largo has turned out using the setup above.

This is the sheet music I used to play this piece.
If the PDF file does not show, refresh the page .. or click on the LINK underneath to load it.

http://ar-group.org/Files/Handel'sLargo.pdf

When you have the music up full screen (click on the Pop-out arrow top right corner of the music screen), if you hover your mouse near the top there is are options to Download and Print the music. You can then print it out if you want to try playing it.

Yes, I did have the sheet music up in front of me while I was playing it .. but, as I don't read music, not to read the dots on lines (ie. the actual notes being played). I used to sing bass in a choir, so I was following the lengths of the notes in the bars, but playing the notes of the melody 'by ear'. And of course I was following the chords written over the music .. although it didn't take me long to remember them and not to have to look at the written chords.

If you want to try out the Freeplay Style I used you can download it from the Attachment below.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with Keyboards