Using default STYLES & downloading STYLES from the Internet

Using default STYLES & downloading STYLES from the Internet

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jun 2021 19:48

Loading and using default STYLES in your keyboard & downloading STYLES from the Internet

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Downloading a Style List in Alphabetical order of Song Names

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Sep 2021 20:49

Downloading a Style List in Alphabetical order of Song Names

The 'default' way of listing STYLES in our keyboards is to have them in 'Genres' so if you are wanting a STYLE for eg. a Foxtrot you would look for it in BALLROOM. But I have come across a video explaining how to get hold of loads of STYLES that have been put into Song Alphabetical Order on the PSR Tutorial website. These are called Gig Disks .. Gig not meaning Gigabytes .. but going 'Gigging'.

In the video, Morrie Reece has used an Apple Mac computer. A PC does the job slightly differently .. but the same! The Apple Mac shows the USB he inserted on his Desktop (his Home page); and the Download also ends up on his Desktop. The Desktop of my PC doesn't look anything like as 'cluttered' as his, as the PC doesn't do that. If you run Explorer (which is where all your FOLDERS show up, like a filing system) you will find your USB Drive; and your Downloads Folder showing on the left. In my case, I have set Google Chrome to 'ask me' where I want things put before it does it .. so if I have a Memory Stick plugged into a USB Port I can ask it to put the files directly onto that.

This is what Morrie Reece says about Gig Disks:
Gig disks are a collection of style files that have been renamed with specific song titles that fit that particular style. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of third party style files with the same name. They use different voices, different tempos, different fills, or different instruments. Some fit well with certain songs, while they would be awful for others. This led to the creation of Gig Disks, which allow a keyboard musician to select a style that is well suited for a particular song.

In the 1920s jazz musicians used the word "gig" to describe a job they got that paid them money to play music at a bar, or nightclub, or a recording studio, or a dance. So "gig" meant a paid job playing music.

In the "old days (15-20 years ago) we would store these styles on a computer disk, thus the name "gig disk". Today I store all my styles on a USB thumb drive, which plugs into my Tyros 5 keyboard. But we still use the term "gig disk".

If I'm a keyboard musician and I'm going to go out and play my keyboard for three or four hours at some dance or party, I need to be able to quickly locate a specific style for each song I'm going to play that evening. I would create a gig disk, filled with songs that I had carefully selected a style that fit that particular song. Now all I have to do is load in the style file, which is listed as a song title on my gig disk. Now I can search for songs....not style names.
If someone makes a song request, I can quickly scan through my songs, arranged alphabetically by song title, and load in the style needed to play the requested song.

So simply put, my gig disk is a USB thumb drive, containing thousands of styles that are listed alphabetically by the title of the song that fits that style. So on my thumb drive I search for song titles...not style names. I can put 500 songs into a single folder, but I can put thousands of folders on a single USB thumb drive. For example, on my 64GB thumb drive, I can store 3,200,000 style files, arranged in 6,400 folders, all listed alphabetically by song title.

Is every song in a gig disk the perfect style for a particular song ? Not necessairly. I can play a song with a dozen different styles, and I may like half of them and you like the other half. It's like asking me what is the most beautiful flower, or who is the prettiest girl or what is the best wine in the world. We each have our likes and dislikes and what I may like you may not. The same is true in choosing a style for a particular song. There is NO PERFECT style for a particular song. I could play "Silent Night " dozens of different ways with any one of dozens of different styles, and I may like all the styles, and you may only like a few of them, or maybe none of them ! We're all humans.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Using default STYLES & downloading STYLES from the Inter

Postby mikeg » 18 Sep 2021 11:48

Hi Hugh Thanks for posting this Link I am very interested in Styles Best Regards mikeG.
Keyboard: Tyros 2
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 January; August
mikeg
Super Poster

Return to How to do things with Keyboards