Playing the backing track as MIDI; then playing the melody

Recording to MIDI / manipulating MIDI Recordings
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Playing the backing track as MIDI; then playing the melody

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jul 2021 00:43

In my "Read this first ..." I explained about how I used the MIDI on my AR80 organ to play a piano backing as my first 'take'; and then whilst playing that back played the melody into another Channel. In this example below, musicmaniac has a problem in that he can't use his left hand to do the 'Fill to D" and play a chord at the same time. So his solution is to record the backing as a MIDI recording, using his left hand to play the chords, and his right hand to press the "Fill to D" at the appropriate moment. Then play that back so he can hear it. He has the ACMP button OFF as the MIDI is playing back the chords and STYLE.

I was interested to hear him say that in order to get the MIDI to play the backing STYLE back to you and do that "Fill to D", you have to turn the ACMP button to OFF. He says that if you have it ON then you are put back in charge of doing the 'fills'. I'm not sure about this so will have to check it out. But I have noticed that when that "Fill to D" is triggered the ACMP button lights up again .. and he continues playing chords with his left hand. From this point onwards the keyboard will be playing the same thing from two sources: the MIDI playing back and the keyboard playing from the chords he is triggering with his left hand. Thing is, this doesn't really matter so long as he is playing the same chords, as the MIDI is not recording the STYLE from what he is doing with his left hand.

What I haven't worked out is why he turned his LEFT HAND VOICE OFF when he did his initial recording. If he had included that in the first 'take' he wouldn't have had to play any chords at all as the MIDI would have been playing it all back. He would just need to listen to the MIDI playing what he had recorded and REC the melody at the same time with his right hand.

In my "Read this first ..." I did say that you have to know where you are in the song as you do your first 'take' as there is no melody playing. I think the video below illustrates this point quite clearly!

How to make a midi backing from a style - Yamaha Tyros 4

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Playing the backing track as MIDI; then playing the melo

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jul 2021 21:38

If you have been following this Topic, I have made changes to what I had originally said as I had misunderstood what it was he was saying .. so go back to what I said and read it again. He also seems to say that he turned the LEFT HAND VOICE ON for the second 'take' so he could hear the chords he was playing. Thing is, if he had recorded that LEFT HAND VOICE in his first 'take' he wouldn't have had to play any chords at all in his second 'take' as the complete backing would be playing back to him from the MIDI. Just concentrate on playing the melody with the right hand whilst listening to the backing.

Which has given me another thought. I had said to Den the other day, "Whenever I see a DEMO on YouTube of how to use the PITCH BEND they always show a melody being played with eg. a guitar .. and then move the PITCH BEND WHEEL with their left hand. What happens if you are using a STYLE? My left hand is changing chords at the moment I want to do a PITCH BEND. Can you trigger the PITCH BEND with a Footswitch?".
And Den said, "No. You have to move the pitch bend wheel with your hand".

Now then ...

If I do a first 'take' to MIDI, then when I play that back from the MIDI recorder I will have both left and right hands free to play the melody with eg. a guitar .. and work the PITCH BEND with my left hand, which is no longer needed to play chords. Just a thought!

Has anybody else recorded to the MIDI RECORDER in order to do something specific with the recording afterwards?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Playing the backing track as MIDI; then playing the melo

Postby dentyr » 27 Jul 2021 23:41

Has anybody else recorded to the MIDI RECORDER in order to do something specific with the recording afterwards?

YES, ME! I try to correct some of my errors. Also I use midis for multi track. Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Midi Recording