Making a Multi-track recording using the MIDI Recorder

Recording to MIDI / manipulating MIDI Recordings
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Making a Multi-track recording using the MIDI Recorder

Postby dentyr » 25 Jul 2021 03:51

This is to introduce Multi-track recording on the MIDI side of the Tyros 4 (and probably others)

1. Set up your main screen with the first things that you want to record. R1, R2, R3 and the style. All set to record the first tracks.

2. Press the record button on the left side of the panel. All the record channels will show red REC. That's fine. Go ahead and record your first part.

3. Save that recording as you need it now.

4. Press the record button again but this time switch all the tracks to ON.

5. Now, hold down button upper 5 and press the record button again. A very small box will show on the right of the screen. Use the side buttons to step up to R1. Now you will be recording to channel 5 and all the other channels will play as you record but NOT overwrite.

6. Hold down button upper 6 and press the record button again. The same little box will come up but will NOT show R1 available but you step up to R2.

7. Now when you start recording your next voices to the mix ALL the style will play, All the first R1, R2 & R3 will play and you will record to channels 5 & 6. NOTHING will be overwritten. If you make an error the you can re-do the offending channels without disturbing the first ones.

8. Do the same for channels 7 & 8.

You now have a full 16 track recording. You can adjust the tracks in the mixing console before you make the wave file.
Have fun recording
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Making a Multi-track recording.

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Jul 2021 00:36

Thanks Dennis for posting that. I have never tried recording to the MIDI RECORDER, and have always gone to the AUDIO RECORDER. But I can see that what you have explained above would be very useful if you wanted to add other tracks into your recording after you had done it. From what you have said, the idea is to listen to what you have played whilst adding other counter melodies etc. into the recording.

I think I would always use a COPY of my original recording as I am bound to make a mess of it whilst trying to add in another track/tracks. Then I can always go back to the original and do it again.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Making a Multi-track recording.

Postby dentyr » 26 Jul 2021 01:36

The object is to record the style and tracks 1,2 &3 assuming that you use the three right voices. This gets saved as "Moan 1" Then you record the next set of tracks, 5, 6, & 7. with the first set playing so that you can keep in time. This does not overwrite the first lot as set down, as you have the tracks set to "ON" not to Rec. I generally record the style and tracks 1, 3 & 4 to start. Then I record tracks 5 & 6 with other voices. I save that set now as another "song" "Moan 2". The same procedure goes for tracks 7 & 8. Each voice in the process can be given its own volume and position using panpot (Pan Position). Finally you have your finished product named "Moan 3". To complete the whole thing, set up a new audio track on the right side of the kbd (AUD__004)or whatever, start the Audio recording, let it run for 2 seconds then press "Play" on the MIDI side. This records to an audio file (Wave) to complete the project. The advantage of recording to MIDI is that the MIDI is only the ingredients of the song and each voice can be manipulated during the process. To do this you can go to the "Step Record" and check or alter anything on the channels.
The multi-track Audio is a complete wave file in its self, you can't adjust anything. If you need to change anything you need to record the whole thing again.
Kind regards, Den. :D
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Midi Recording