Replacing the MIC recording with an MP3 from the keyboard.

Watch how they play - see how it's done!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Replacing the MIC recording with an MP3 from the keyboard.

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 Apr 2024 17:30

Replacing the MIC recording from a camera with an MP3 from the keyboard.

If you use a camera (or a mobile) to make a recording of yourself playing your keyboard, then the quality of the sound will be nothing like the AUDIO you would get when recording directly from the keyboard as WAV or MP3. When the recording is picked up by microphones there will be 'echo' in the room for starters, which is also picked up by the microphones. Ditto any extraneous noises, like the clicking of buttons being pressed .. or the dog barking next door!

The recordings our keyboards make directly these days are superb .. as good as anything that in the old days could only be done in a recording studio. This topic is to explain how to replace that MIC recording with an MP3 or WAV file from the keyboard.

First, here is Den playing a piece and recording himself playing ... using a camera for the recording (records as an MP4) .. but also setting the keyboard off to record an MP3 at the same time (he has a Yamaha SX-700, which can record directly to MP3). His camera does have stereo microphones, so the sound quality is reasonable .. but if you listen carefully, right from the start there is a 'hollow echo', as well as a 'crackling' noise running through it. Recording with a mobile will be nothing like as good .. and the mobile I have only has a single microphone, so if using that, the audio recording will be in mono (or two-track mono) for starters.

Next step is to load this MP4 video, and the MP3 into VideoPad, the program I use for handling videos.
In VideoPad you click on AddFiles, and click on the ones you want to import .. in this case the MP4 (which has an audio file with it); and the MP3 audio file from the keyboard.

Put both files into VideoPad (or whatever program you are using for handling Videos).

VideoPad has two options for working on a video. Storyboard and Timeline. Storyboard shows the MP4 we have loaded in, together with the Linked Audio (the camera one).

To be able to work with the video we have to switch to Timeline view by clicking on the down-arrow and choosing Timeline from the drop-down box (if it isn't in Timeline mode already).

In this view, the LINKED audio track shows separately at the bottom, so we can work with it.

Click on the Audio Track to make sure you are on it, and do a right-click .. which shows the options below in a drop-down box.

The one we want is Unlink from Video .. so click on that.
The audio track that was with this video is now completely separated from it .. so we can DELETE it.
Do a right-click over the audio file, and in the drop-down box click on DELETE (Delete ripple).

We now have an 'empty' Audio Track 1 ...

... where we can drag and drop the MP3 file from the Audio 'bin' (top left).

Drop it anywhere in that space.

In order to position that audio waveform to 'sync' with the fingers playing in the video, it would be best to remove that bit of 'silence' at the beginning of the track. Now we could have done that with Audacity before importing the MP3 into VideoPad, but as VideoPad has the facility for doing this I will do it using VideoPad.

To make the waveform more easily accessible we need to stretch it out a bit (so we can see better what we are doing).
On the right, there is a ZOOM facility, so click on the 'marker' and drag it a bit to the right so we can be more accurate with the bit of 'silence' we wish to remove.

Next, at the top, click on the tab Audio.

Everything we do from now on will only apply to the Audio MP3 (we don't want the video part interfered with).
Move the red marker line across the 'silent' part of the audio track until it is just to the left of where the audio starts.
We get a pair of scissors showing, which we click on to CUT the audio at that point.

So do that, and the audio track is split into two.
Click in the area I have marked with the yellow arrows ...

... and this area will be selected for the next step ...

... which is to DELETE that bit of silent audio.
So either click on the delete button on your computer, or the Delete at the top of the VideoPad program.

The bit of 'silence' has been removed from the audio track ...

... so all we need to do now is to 'click and hold' with the mouse and drag that audio to the left. We are hoping to 'drop it' so that the 'audio' syncs with the fingers in the video. For starters, I'll move it all the way to the left (so the Offset is zero) ...

... and then gradually move it along to the right and experiment (by 'playing' the video) to find out the best Offset value for the audio to sync with the fingers playing.

First .. this is what you get with the audio on an Offset of zero.

Then by moving the audio along to the right, I reckon that this is roughly the best position for the audio to be.

You may have to move the ZOOM tab a bit further to the right in order to get smaller steps of Offset.
Anyway, see if I have got it about right by watching and listening to the below.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Replacing the MIC recording with an MP3 from the keyboar

Postby Brian007 » 22 Apr 2024 13:56

Hi Hugh,

Certainly an interesting project, must try it.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JamesT3 » 23 Apr 2024 22:07

Reading the topic Hugh and Den have done on replacing the AUDIO created by a camera with the WAV/MP3 file created by the keyboard, I thought I would add another example of doing this. First, here is an original recording I made of Dream Concerto, which I had put up in this board. To do this, I used an iPhone, so the audio is created from the microphone(s) in the iPhone. When you watch/listen to it, note the 'clunk' of the keys, and the 'click' of the button as I press it. Hugh mentioned about the barking of the dog next door, which made me laugh! How did he know that I do indeed have a dog next door that barks! But not in this recording.

Unfortunately, I didn't record directly from my keyboard whilst making this video, and Hugh asked me to play it again .. and this time to get my Genos2 to make an AUDIO file at the same time. So below is the video .. once again made with my iPhone. But this time I have a WAV file created by the keyboard, all ready to replace the audio on the video.

Using this video, I have first REMOVED the attached AUDIO, and then replaced the audio with the WAV file from the Genos 2. And then, of course, I had to 'sync' the new audio file to match my fingers 'playing'. To do this I used an App called Final Cut Pro on iPad Pro.

Here below is the final result.

For starters, just listen to the first few notes of the recording as picked up by my iPhone in the first two videos, and the AUDIO replacement from the Genos2! The notes are 'panning' between left and right .. something that was not picked up by the iPhone. And by using the WAV file from your keyboard you will not get any 'background noise'.

James
Yamaha Genos 2 and KORG PA5X
JamesT3
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Apr 2024 01:11

James,

Thanks for doing this for us. I have a Samsung .. an Android phone .. and I have bought a tripod holder for it .. but we have just moved into a flat and that tripod holder is in a box somewhere! When I find it, I'll have a go at doing this with my Tyros 4.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JamesT3 » 24 Apr 2024 01:14

Hugh,

It does make a terrific difference. That panning is amazing. Well that has inspired me to make sure future video recordings are indeed performed in the same way, direct to Genos 2 audio. Quite enjoyed taking part in this.

A great article and hopefully will inspire other enthusiasts out there.

Best wishes

James.
Yamaha Genos 2 and KORG PA5X
JamesT3
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Apr 2024 23:59

One of the things one has to perfect is matching the music to the fingers 'playing'. Not difficult to do if you can just grab and 'slide' the music track along a timeline .. and check out how it's doing.

I did this video below for Colin Leaney, taking video clips from pexels.com and then matching the various instruments to where he brought them in. This, of course, was 'syncing' the other way round ie. keeping the soundtrack fixed and getting the pictures so slot into the right places.

This is what Colin had to say about the video:

Gershwin Medley. Song titles are as follows:- ‘Our Love Is here To Stay’ and ‘Summertime’.
This is a medley of Gershwin songs which is totally my arrangement and orchestration. No music - purely by ear - no outside apps or programs - my arrangement - actual key changes - and most definitely all my own work, just on my Tyros 4.

Video has been put together by Hugh.

Colin
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Watch them play