When Christmas Comes To Town from the movie Polar Express

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

When Christmas Comes To Town from the movie Polar Express

Postby MichaelW » 28 Oct 2013 20:28

Hello,

ok, ok, it's still two months to christmas, but we musicians have to practice in advance for the holidays. :wink:

So this is my (last years) recording of "When Christmas Comes To Town", played on my Tyros 4 with a few styles (with the so called artificial intelligence and bass control), multipads and a variety of registrations. No midi-file is used and everything is directly recorded via the build in harddisk recorder.

The scores in the video are taken directly from the keyboards display, it's a "standing midi" with the visible score line and the text (the harmonies and the registration orders) only. I used a footswitch to turn the pages of the score display. I needed the scores to give me hints when to change the registrations. There are many parts in this song where I had to change the registration every two bars - as you can see in the text line below the scores.

Please feel free to write your opinion - there's always something to make better - and to learn.
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 November (Joint Winner)
MichaelW
Active Poster

Re: When Christmas Comes To Town from the movie Polar Expres

Postby Jon D » 28 Oct 2013 21:18

Hello there Michael,
This a very nice number you played it well with good voices made this a pleasant performance it is not to early Christmas is on top of us already we will all have to get the Christmas songs out sooner rather than later enjoyed listening to you cheers my friend. 8) 8) 8)
Jon D. :D :D :D
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style. Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years. That gave me a good grounding. Cheers.
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 April; November (Joint Winner)
2022 June; November
2023 January; August (Joint Winner)
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 29 Oct 2013 01:11

Very nice Michael, I enjoyed listening to your excellent performance (listened to one or two other as well on your YouTube channel) :wink:

As Christmas is fast approaching I have opened up the Carol forum and moved your post into that section, so you are first-up this year - and what a hard act to follow for the rest of us :wink:

Well done Michael, I'll be keeping an eye for more tunes from you ... soon, I hope 8)

Best regards,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Eddie Smart » 29 Oct 2013 15:59

Hallo Michael,lovely performance you put a great deal of effort into this and its payed off well, very nice arrangement,welldone and thank you for sharing with us. I think it's time for me to work on some christmas songs now :D

Eddie.
Eddie Smart

Postby Eileen » 31 Oct 2013 12:48

Hi Michael,
This is a song my Grand Daughter sing but it is the first time I have heard it played on a keyboard. That was a great arrangement.
Well Done.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Ray2 » 08 Nov 2013 10:24

Hi Michael, a very nice pleasant christmassy performance. Great voicing, cheers, Ray.
Ray2

Postby MichaelW » 08 Nov 2013 19:20

Hello,

after a very busy week I'd like to thank everybody for the kind comments. In fact it took me more than two months to create this arrangement with its registrations, multipads and styles. And I got a lot of help from a couple of friends in a german keyboard forum, who did not hesitate to listen to a new version of the song nearly every two or three days and to make me valuable suggestions for improvement. I am grateful for that.
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby George » 16 Nov 2013 14:58

Hi, Michael,

That's a lovely number from the film great arrangement and sounds well played .

George
G Turner - Wersi OAX1 (Previous Organ & Keyboard: Ringway A2000 & Genos)
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 April
George
Prolific Poster

Postby LeoP » 16 Nov 2013 18:47

excellent playing Michael, very expertly done It is a complete joy to listen to, thank you and welcome to mike's site :wink:
LeoP

Postby MichaelW » 27 Nov 2013 19:48

Hello,

I'm sorry for answering so late. Hopefully not to late I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments.
Best regards - Michael

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby jackoj » 01 Dec 2013 18:29

Hi Michael,
You've got a lot of talent mate. lovely performance from start to finish. excellent post, really enjoyed it. TFS ATB. jackoj. 8) 8) :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Patty » 07 Dec 2013 02:11

Hi Michael,

Sorry I missed your posting earlier, trying to catch up.
I enjoyed your version of this song very much and you played it very well. Nice style and selection of voices that you chose. Thanks for sharing it with us and have a good weekend.

Patty
Patty
Mega Poster

Return to Christmas Carols & Festive Songs 2013