T4 to NP-30 .. Midi

The Yamaha Tyros 3 & 4 Workstations.

T4 to NP-30 .. Midi

Postby dragon » 10 May 2017 18:09

Taking advice from a couple of Forumites I have ditched the Casio in favour of a NP-30. It was not possible to midi the Tyros to the Casio.

Following instruction in the manual I have connected the two keyboards together using two 5 pin DIN cables, hoping this would enable the lower one to split and trigger the styles. This is not working and the sounds from the lower keyboard are still coming from it's internal speakers. Any ideas? .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Re: T4 to NP-30 .. Midi

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 11 May 2017 08:32

Hi

MIDI is only a data connection. If you don't want audio from your lower keyboard, you'll need to turn the volume down, or otherwise mute it. If you do want the sounds but through different speakers, then you'll need to connect the audio out of the lower keyboard to the inputs of whatever you're using to drive speakers.

Also, why 2 MIDI cables? If the lower keybpard is just a controller in your setup, then you only need to connect its MIDI out to the MIDI in of the device you're controlling.

As to configuring MIDI channels to trigger accompaniments etc. you'll have to read the manuals (or find someone who has configured a similar setup)

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Ron » 03 Jun 2017 11:30

I have my T3 midi connected to NP11. This works as 2 individual keyboards with the NP11 working as left hand chords/bass and T3 for melody right hand. I am sure their is "Twinset up" article somewhere on the forum's archives.

Regards, Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby dragon » 03 Jun 2017 12:29

Thanks Ron. I will try to find the post. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Fred » 03 Jun 2017 20:11

Hi Fred

I have copied an article from another Forum.

Fred

TWINSET. Tyros 2 + NP30 Midi Setup

T2. Function \ Split points. Set Split Points R1 & R2 to C1.(last key left) R3 to C1#. Beware that previous made Registrations saved will alter this.

NP30 Midi Out to T2 Midi In. Only one lead required.

T2. Function \ Midi \ Press Edit.
Page to Receive....Set CH1 change from Song to LEFT.
Page to Chord detect….Tick CH1.
Volume Control of NP30 is turned OFF as it's acting as a dummy to trigger T2 Chords \ Styles.

I play NP30 chords around middle C (OrganStyle) so the left voice TUNING requires setting Minus 1 octave….Easy way to do this is when switching on the NP30….Whilst Holding down the NP30 Grand Piano Voice Button…Press C above middle C. This will transpose the NP30 up 1 Octave so you can now play left hand chords around middle C this will play the T2 Left Voice at correct Octave.

Note The Left Hand Voice ON-OFF Button of the T2 does not work in this setup…..If you want to play with the T2 Left voice ON the NP30 do the following.
Make a User Midi Template by going to Function \ Midi. Save As (name ?) Suggest Name as LOWER ON into USER. Lower ON is because we previously changed the CH1 from Song to LEFT.

Page to Receive....Set CH1 change back to SONG.
The Midi Template settings above I did another Template Changing RECEIVE CH1 to SONG and Saved As LOWER OFF into USER. This enables you to switch off T2 left voice if not required as on the T2 left voice switch does operate on this setup.

Instructions are far easier to speak than put into Print but the above should get you started.

Graham UK.
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 04 Jun 2017 06:07

Hi

Just wondering what sort of settings (in general terms, I don't have the specific keyboards mentioned) would be needed to integrate pedals into a 2 keyboard setup, and what use they'd be if you're using the automatics. No specific requirement at present, but it might just be something I'd do with my basic Yamaha PS arranger keyboard plus one of my other boards for the lower & 13 note MIDI pedals. Similar concept (but very much the budget verions) of the TRX system.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby dragon » 04 Jun 2017 10:44

Thank you Graham. I have printed the instructions. Will make the attempt when I'm feeling brave enough. .. Fred

Sounds like an interesting project Tony. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 Jun 2017 08:19

Hi

I used my PS arranger with a digital piano for a couple of concerts - although to be honest, the piano was the main instrument, with the PS providing solo sounds in the main - just one use of the automatics. I've never got round to tryin to integrate pedals. Not sure when I'll get round to trying anything though - I've just acquired a Yamaha HS8 which is currently at church - need to try & get to grips with that.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby dragon » 05 Jun 2017 10:30

Having read the instructions I have given up. I don't understand them and at my age I don't expect I ever will. My biggest problem is I only have the style working from C1 to C2. This does not give me enough notes to play my block chords. For instance ... playing an A7 I need a C sharp.
Altering any of the split points then makes the keyboard start the style from all the keys.
I probably have not explained this very well. .
Now I am going to lay down in a dark room until the skip is delivered and I can send the lot to the tip. .. Signed .. Baffled of Nottingham.
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 05 Jun 2017 10:57

Correction. The lower ( octave ) on the NP-30 is only from E to C. Only nine keys for me to play chords. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 07 Jun 2017 10:36

Hi Fred,
These were the instructions that worked for me but as I did this several years ago my memory is a bit vague. Be assured that it does work very well. My 2nd keyboard is a NP11. My split point is set to provide the whole T3 keys for melody over the whole range while the lower keys are for chords or you can select left hand voice on Tyros, turn ON volume on lower keyboard and the left hand voice will sound. Hope this may help you setup. I no longer play due to arthritis in my wrists but I do not think I would ever have gone back to using the Tyros on its own. Dual keys was the way to go for me.

Regards,

Ron

How to - Setup a twin set Tyros (1/2/3/4) + NP30 Midi Setup

Tyros. Function \ Splitpoints. Set Split Points R1 & R2 to C1.(last key left) R3 C1#. Previous Registrations saved may alter this.
NP30 Midi Out to T2 Midi In A. Only one lead required. (Midi IN B could be used)
Tyros. Function \ Utilities \ Midi \ Edit.
Page to System and set Receive Transpose to ON.
Page to Receive and set CH1 from Song to LEFT.
Page to Chord detect Tick CH1.
Volume Control of NP30 is OFF as it's acting as a dummy to trigger Tyros Chords \ Styles.

The Midi Template settings above Save As (name ?) Suggest Lower ON into USER.

The NP30 can be transposed one octave down by.....
Holding Grand Piano Button down whilst pressing C4. This now plays the Tyros Left Voice -1 Octave [Thanks to GrahamUK]
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby dragon » 07 Jun 2017 11:58

Thanks Ron. I have set the Tyros back to the factory settings and clicked on the file Roger set up for me. Everything is now working as it should. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 07 Jun 2017 13:59

Hi Fred,
When mentioned setting Keyboard split to C1 this is so that the bottom keyboard can use the whole of the lower keyboard for your chords when set correctly.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby dragon » 07 Jun 2017 14:18

This is not happening Eileen. I usually play everything from the bottom keyboard as it splits at about one and a half octaves. Tyros splits at the same point. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 3 & Tyros 4 Workstations