PA600 unboxed at last!

The Popular Korg Pa Series Professional Arrangers

Moderator: andyg

PA600 unboxed at last!

Postby Mike Bracchi » 21 Feb 2013 15:23

Well, I have had chance to un-box and play about with my new 600 today ... whilst a lot of things on it blow me away, there is also an awful lot that my first impressions of aren't that clever at all :( Naturally, I am going to need time to get the hang of the Korg way to do things compared to the much easier Yamaha OS that I have been use to for so long.

The biggest irritation to me so far is the instruments apparent inability to make 'smooth' chord and voice changes when using variations linked to the STS ... melody voice lags behind whilst variations pause and maybe hesitate on 85% of the simple changes - we are only talking split seconds here but what a mess ... I surely hope that I am missing something on this one ... otherwise it seems like a return to 70's auto-rhythm technology ... would be grateful for a little advice :)

Another thing .... what's with all the blank pages in the factory installed style folders :?: :?:
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: PA600 unboxed at last!

Postby Westgarth » 21 Feb 2013 21:22

Hi Mike

Good to see you up and about.

Good luck with the new keyboard. Would it be too synical to suggest that an eventual system upgrade would fill these empty pages with factory styles at a never to be missed bargain price especially for you!!! :shock: I hope not. I'm sure there must be extra styles around. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Wally Gator » 22 Feb 2013 03:39

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Sounds like you're having fun with the new keyboard. Keep us up on your progress with it, good and bad. Interesting stuff. :D
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Postby Pamela » 22 Feb 2013 13:09

Hi Mike, Glad you're feeling better, I'm sure you'll get there in the end, Perhaps Jacko could help you, I believe he has a Korg... Pam :)
Pamela
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 22 Feb 2013 14:26

Hi Mike,
Reading your post leaves me thinking you are disappointed with the PA600 in lots of respects,a lot of people seem to take badly with the Korg first off,it is quite different,say to Yamaha,which is the most simplest of keyboards to manage,once you get the hang of the PA600 you will find it is a pleasure to play,the styles and sounds i find are to my liking,and there is a lot of spaces for extra styles and performances,if you want to fill the style places that are empty,then you must unlock beforehand,give yourself a bit time getting to grips with it,and if i can be of any help you know i will gladly give it.All the best Mike.jackoj. :) :) :) :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 22 Feb 2013 15:18

jackoj wrote:Hi Mike,
Reading your post leaves me thinking you are disappointed with the PA600 in lots of respects,a lot of people seem to take badly with the Korg first off,it is quite different,say to Yamaha,which is the most simplest of keyboards to manage,once you get the hang of the PA600 you will find it is a pleasure to play,the styles and sounds i find are to my liking,and there is a lot of spaces for extra styles and performances,if you want to fill the style places that are empty,then you must unlock beforehand,give yourself a bit time getting to grips with it,and if i can be of any help you know i will gladly give it.All the best Mike.jackoj. :) :) :) :) :)

Wotcha John,

No I'm not disappointed and I am slowly finding my way around it ... it's just when you are use to something you become all too comfortable with it and changes don't always go smoothly :lol: :lol: at least in my case they don't seem to :D

Like last night for example ... I purchased four styles from a German company, Pa and PaX compatible styles to try on the 600 ... downloaded the styles and then tried to transfer them from the PC to the Korg via USB stick ... what a lot of buggering about :lol: :lol:

After 20 minutes still only managed to get one of the four loaded and showing in the user section, and to top it all .... I haven't got a blinking clue on how I managed to get that one on there ... it's a blinking nightmare :lol: :lol: why on earth can't you just load the style from the drive is beyond me :roll:

But hey, it's all good fun and I'm getting enjoyment from just playing around with it at the moment :wink:

Thanks for your offer of help mate .... you'll wish you never made that :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best.
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby Fred » 23 Feb 2013 11:08

Mike Bracchi wrote:
The biggest irritation to me so far is the instruments apparent inability to make 'smooth' chord and voice changes when using variations linked to the STS ...

Mike - Pleased you have the 600 at last. I have not seen one as yet - however something worth a try ----

When changing STS Hold a note with the RH and a chord with the LH then switch STS and listen to the voices. Do the original RH voices stay until the notes are released.

Try it again this time switch the STS with no notes being played.

You may have to relearn the technique of switching STS on the last beat of the bar.

The above may be totally wrong but it is worth a try.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 27 Feb 2013 15:48

Fred wrote:

Mike - Pleased you have the 600 at last. I have not seen one as yet - however something worth a try ----

When changing STS Hold a note with the RH and a chord with the LH then switch STS and listen to the voices. Do the original RH voices stay until the notes are released.

Try it again this time switch the STS with no notes being played.

You may have to relearn the technique of switching STS on the last beat of the bar.

The above may be totally wrong but it is worth a try.

Fred

Fred, I did try this and you are right it looks like I will have to be careful and remember to make voice and variation changes with a little more care in future :wink:

Thank you all for your input on this subject :D
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Return to Korg Pa Series Arrangers