Korg PA3 UltimaX Goes Public ....

General discussions about Korg Keyboards

Korg PA3 UltimaX Goes Public ....

Postby Mike Bracchi » 01 May 2014 18:12

A few weeks ago I wrote about a Korg version of the TRX Organ System ....

The Coolest Organ & Keyboard Forum
http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/

Korg PA3 UltimaX v Tyros TRX System
http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2462 Page 1 of 1

Author: Mike Bracchi [ 11 Apr 2014 01:57 pm ]
Post subject: Korg PA3 UltimaX v Tyros TRX System

I got wind of a project by a Midlands retailer of the development of two new keyboard stands designed specifically for the PA series keyboards ... the same retailer, presumably with assistance from Korg UK, is about to launch a 'Korg' version of the TRX system called the Korg PA3 UltimaX 8) :D

This brand new instrument will consist of the PA3x-76 on top ....

Korg SP170s on the bottom ....
and a Roland PK Series pedalboard ....
I'm not sure if it's to included a sound system or not ... but the moment I find out I will report back :wink:

Either way ... it will give the TRX boys something to worry about - that I'm sure of :lol:

Viva la Korg Image

Mike

Author: jackoj [ 11 Apr 2014 06:38 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Korg PA3 UltimaX v Tyros TRX System

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the heads up. love the idea of this combination, as you know I have the main board and have often thought of putting it with the T4 but never have got round to it. like to see this development in action. TB. jackoj
8) 8) :)

And here it is ....

Further information can be obtained from the makers at KeySound Liecester ... 0116 2541053

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Korg PA3 UltimaX Goes Public ....

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 02 May 2014 09:44

Hi

Neat looking stand - and a decent size pedalboard for once! I guess since the controls of the lower keyboard aren't accessible it can realistically only be used to control sounds from the arranger. Pity there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on their web site! I wonder what prices & options there'll be (not that I'm likely to be able to afford one). A comparison with the TRX would be interesting too.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby jackoj » 02 May 2014 11:56

Hi Tony,
As I have both the Yamaha TRX and the PA3X 76 I am considering trying the Korg it TRX style when time permits, seeing your interested I will try and give a balanced answer when I have tried it. ATB. jackoj. :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 03 May 2014 08:59

Thanks Jackoj. No rush. I'm unlikely to be buying an arranger of that calibre at present - just interested in the concept.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby jackoj » 05 May 2014 06:33

Hi Mike and Tony,
Have had the PA3X on the TRX system, just put it instead of the Tyros and it worked very well. I have now reverted back to my original set-up`s but was worth the experience. ATB. jackoj. :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 May 2014 09:42

Thanks Jackoj - do you have any comments about the relative merits/problems with the 2 arrangers? I'm not really familiar with either, although I have been to a Tyros launch demo.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby jackoj » 05 May 2014 16:00

Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply and if I can clarify my feelings about the TRX system, it would be to say that it is an advantage for the 61 key as it gives you the whole top keyboard for splits of voices or combinations, and of coarse bass pedals, with the Roland one being the better choice, I only have the octave :( the 76 key PA3X I prefer on its own, and pedals if required, as it is all I find I need for what I do with it and its a great board for feel and playability. I suppose the final word has to be you can use the system like an organ without the heavy cabinets making it more portable, all down to choice and affordability Tony. Hope my words at least help some of your queries, I never was much good at putting word together :lol: :lol: ATB. jackoj. :) :) :) :D
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 06 May 2014 09:46

Thanks Jackoj

Valid comments. One of my portable keyboards is a Nord C2D, plus a 27 note pedalboard, but I would like an "organ like" rig with more orchestral/solo voices.

I've used a 76 note digital piano plus my Yamaha PSR E433 keyboard a couple of times (not yet got round to MIDIing anything together yet, nor adding the pedalboard (I also have a 13 note board for small jobs with the Nord (and because it was all I could afford at the time!). I'll have to investigate further. Currently rarely use the automatics, and keyboard splits are rare, but not unknown. I guess that's my classical background!

I need to investigate the actual setup sometime - e.g. what section of the Arranger the lower keys & pedals are assigned to. Stuff like that. The E433 was bought mainly for solo voices alongside the pipe organ in church.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 16 Sep 2014 09:53

Korg UltimaX Pa 600

I understand that there are 3 versions of the UltimaX available todate ... the PA600, PA900 and the PA3X.

Sorry about the rubbish photos :roll:

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby Abacus » 16 Sep 2014 17:54

Yes that is correct; all 3 were at the recent keyboard festival at Hemsby with all putting up a great showing, however due to the different design of the PA 900 to the rest of the Korg range it did look a bit naff in combination.

In addition the PA 900 version was an identical price to the new Orla/Ringway RS 600 organ, (As was the new Yamaha S950 TRX version), so looks like Orla/Ringway may have put the cat among the pigeons.

Personally comparing all the systems that were there, I think the PA3x (Single or in combination) was the best of the arranger systems. (Tyros 5 put up a good show but lacked realism in most of its sounds and styles in comparison)

I think if anything can be taken from the show was that manufactures are encouraging people to start learning to play everything again, (It was mentioned a number of times by the demonstrators) and cut down on sophisticated style use, (Song styles in particular) with a lot of ex organ players also turning their arrangers back into organ layouts. (The Orla/Ringway RS 600 also went down extremely well)

Bill
Abacus

Postby Mike Bracchi » 16 Sep 2014 18:43

Abacus wrote:Yes that is correct; all 3 were at the recent keyboard festival at Hemsby with all putting up a great showing, however due to the different design of the PA 900 to the rest of the Korg range it did look a bit naff in combination.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes I agree with you on the 900 version ... not much thought has gone into that one - it looks like the 900 keyboard is just plonked on top :lol: :lol:

More than a tad 'mickey mouse' I think ............
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Return to Korg Chit Chat