CVP-605 default pedal functions

This forum is for all things Clavinova including the CLP, CVP & CGP Series

CVP-605 default pedal functions

Postby Kenneve » 25 Mar 2015 09:42

This instrument comes with the pedals set to the universal functions of, Soft-Sostenuto-Damper.
I would like one of the pedals to default to 'Fill Break'
Now I know I can assign that function to a pedal, but I lose the assignment when the power is switched off and on again.
Have tried saving the assignment as part of the default Style,(Standard 8 Beat), but it's still lost when I power down.
Is it possible to set a pedal (preferably the RH) to 'Fill Break' as a default function?
At the moment, when I'm playing, I'm just not quick enough to hit the Break button at the right time!

Many thanks.
Kenneve

Re: CVP-605 default pedal functions

Postby Ron » 25 Mar 2015 11:26

Could this setting not be saved as part of a Registration? Only a quick fix but possibly you would not want to re-assign this pedal permanently.

Regards,

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Kenneve » 25 Mar 2015 17:04

Many thanks Ron, but this dosen't work either.
The function is still lost when I power down.

Best regards.
Kenneve

Postby Mike Bracchi » 25 Mar 2015 20:37

Hiya Ken,

I'm probably not the best person to ask for help on up to date instruments but I seem to remember doing something like this on my S900 .... have a go at this ...

Go to Function>Utility>System Reset Tab and click the System Setup button (F).

Tab to User and depress Save to a new Name (e.g. Kens Setup).

When you need it go to Function>Utility>System Reset Tab and click the System Setup button (F) and then Tab to User and select Kens Setup.

I don't think registrations store everything, so to see what is, or isn't, you can check the Parameter Chart of your Data Manual.

An 'O' in the registrations means it will be stored.

Hope it works,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Kenneve » 26 Mar 2015 17:44

Looks as though it can't be done on a permanent basis.
Have been in touch with Yamaha customer support and they tell me that the Fill Break function will reset to the default condition on the next power up. At pity really as I very rarely use the pedals otherwise and to have the Fill Break function immediately to hand, (well foot) would have been useful.

Many thanks for your replies.

Regards Ken.
Kenneve

Postby andyg » 26 Mar 2015 23:22

Ken, the solution has been given to you - registration memories. You should use these! If you aren't, you're missing out on the most powerful function on the piano.

But, even if you don't want to use them on a regular basis, you should create just one registration bank, commonly called a 'blank bank' or a 'vanilla bank', which will contain your personalised set-up. Here's how, assuming that you're using the piano in arranger mode, with right hand melody and left hand chords giving the style:

1) Turn piano on*, but DO NOT press any buttons – yet!
2) Switch on the Accompaniment section with the ACMP or ACMP ON button
3) Set Fingering Mode as required (if not already done)
4) Set Split Point as required (if not already done)
5) Make any other settings, such as the foot pedal assignments, style and melody voice volumes etc.
6) Save this registration to Button 1
7) Save the Registration Bank as BLANK or VANILLA, like this:

Press button J
Press the button under the screen for SAVE.
Press and hold the DELETE button under the screen for a few seconds to erase the current bank name - the start up default is 'New Bank'.
Use the buttons under the screen to give the registration bank the name BLANK or VANILLA
Press OK

The settings you’ve just made may well evolve over time and you can simply amend these and then resave the bank.

Now, when you turn on the piano, all you have to do is press Button J, highlight the name BLANK or VANILLA and press Registration Memory button 1. All your settings will be recalled.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Kenneve » 27 Mar 2015 10:52

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your help on this one.
Have done what you suggest and set up 'My Reg' and it works fine.
I suppose I had basically misunderstood the relationship between Registrations and Styles.
Obviously if I then select a Registration other than my own, then I lose my chosen pedal assignment.
However, it seems that if I run with 'My Reg' I can then choose any Style, whether on-board or downloaded via memory stick, (which in effect changes the Registration to suit the chosen song), but still maintain my 'Fill Break' pedal assignment. Don't really understand how that is possible.
Is there anywhere where I can read up on the Reg/Style relationship so that I may more properly understand it?
I of course have the operating & reference manuals but they don't go into the subject in any great depth.
Incidentally I have looked at your website and it would seems that we share another common interest, Model Trains, maybe I will talk to you privately about that.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Ken.
Kenneve

Return to Yamaha Clavinova CLP, CVP & CGP Series