Something Classical

Any recordings you have done that could be described as Classical, please post in here.
Includes pieces one would only loosely call 'Classical' as they depart somewhat from what the composer intended.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Something Classical

Postby papadeedee » 03 Mar 2017 15:56

For some reason, this came up as recommended for me when I was browsing in You Tube.
It is myself playing Moonlight sonata in July 2015.
I thought it sounded OK so I will post it here to Kick off a new challenge.
I will not cop out, I will post something new presently.

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Something Classical

Postby JohnT » 03 Mar 2017 17:28

Hi Brian. Quite a morbid piece of music and plenty of dots to play. Enjoyed your video and playing. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 Mar 2017 19:11

Hi Brian,

Moonlight Sonata .. Beethoven. I did play this once on the piano (as a youngster .. before I got into pop music!). It was one of my favourite pieces and you have played it admirably here. It's one of those pieces where you 'wouldn't want to change a single note' as if you did, you would spoil it. This also means that it isn't a piece that one can 'play by ear' and one would have to 'read all the dots' as you have done.

By the way, when I got to the end I just had to flip straight back to the beginning .. to see again who it was that had played it, and give a wave!

With regard to your 'Subject' .. Something Classical. What constitutes 'Classical'? The piece as it is perceived, or the way it is played?

Anyway, here's one I have played 'by ear' (ie. apart from the melody there are no real 'notes' played .. just some harmony in the backing). And no doubt you will tell me I am playing it much too fast! I would normally avoid 'Classical' as there is always a preconceived idea of how it should sound, and when playing anything I like to do a 'Jacko' and just play as the mood takes me.

Air on the G String by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)

https://app.box.com/s/06sjrbqe1o1cz7tjqyzsdl4wo9vem0t6

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 03 Mar 2017 20:09

Hi Hugh,
A lovely performance of Air on a G String, sounded great.
I suppose I mean music from the famous names, Mozart etc, but not exclusively. If you think it feels kind of classical then that is fine.
"Remember, it is a bit of fun and there are no rules "
I am thinking of looking for something that I can play with a modern beat to it.
With regards to Moonlight Sonata, If I had been wanting to make it a "Show Piece" I would have spent more time on it and learned it more thoroughly
and performed it with more feeling and a bit faster but I just wanted to get through it and move on to something else.
I have played Fur Elise in the past but there is a section in the middle that I play at a comfortable speed but if I was performing it seriously,
I would have to spend many hours getting it up to speed. There is only so much time I want to devote to tunes such as these.
I might dig out the music and post it but I think I will look for something I can put a beat to.
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 03 Mar 2017 20:54

Hi Hugh. Always a good one to listen to. Liked your sounds a nice easy listen. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 04 Mar 2017 08:33

Hi

Once again, here's one I prepared earlier! A fun classical piece - a set of variations on "God Save the King" (as it was when the piece was composed). It's from a 2012 concert. The composer is one Charles Wesley - the son of Charles Wesley the hymn writer, nephew on John Wesley the founder of Methodism. It's played on the c.1820 chamber organ formerly in Heaton Baptist Church, Bradford.

Enjoy. There's a load more classical organ pieces on my You Tube channel, along with some lighter fare.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 04 Mar 2017 08:40

Hi

Something a little more recent - an Organists' Association visit a couple of weeks back. Here I'm playing my own arrangement of the Jeremiah Clarke "Trumpet Voluntary" on the Compton Miniatura pipe organ in Bablake School. The Trumpet stop is a recent addition. Apologies that the recording (& playing) are a bit rough & ready.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby papadeedee » 04 Mar 2017 11:44

Very nice Tony, I enjoyed listening and watching.
Thank you for posting, we are trying to get more members to participate and please feel
free to post anytime no matter when it was originally recorded
Thanks
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Mar 2017 12:37

Hi Tony,

Really enjoyed those. Particularly Trumpet Voluntary. That is one of my favourite 'classical' pieces. And your arrangement of it was superb!

Going back to your first posting (God Save The King), I have always been quite taken with the God Save The Queen as arranged by Henry Wood, and played for The Last Night Of The Proms for many years. It is up elsewhere, but I am putting it up again here as it is appropriate.

A while ago we had the London Philharmonic Orchestra do a 'Last Night Of The Proms' at the Playhouse Theatre in Weston-super-Mare, and was very disappointed when they just played the 'Hymn Book' version of God Save The Queen at the end. I managed to speak to the conductor after the show, and he said that the Henry Wood version was written for a 150 piece orchestra, and as he only had 30 pieces he couldn't have done it. But to me, it is the harmony arrangement that is all important (this is in the second part of the verse).

Here is my 'Henry Wood' version of God Save The Queen played on my AR 80 organ:

https://app.box.com/s/ltolnxx0ync9cyw2jhb2fwrw0snw10g9

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Ray2 » 04 Mar 2017 13:37

Hi Brian, to me classical pieces should be played with 2 hands, so bearing in mind that I am a 1 handed guy,(the other just plays chords), I decided to play this piece in "Rock" style. Hope you approve. Cheers, Ray.

https://app.box.com/s/z475l5w3fgcpxljx6fxrbfrs1twsvl29
Ray2

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Mar 2017 14:09

Whilst I am on here, I would like to reiterate Brian's comment:
we are trying to get more members to participate and please feel free to post anytime no matter when it was originally recorded

A magazine for our hobby of music will have articles that are interesting to read, but an internet based Forum is unique in that we have the added bonus of being able to take part in any discussions, and even to post some music, either to illustrate something we are discussing, or something for others to listen to. Many of us would go to pieces if trying to do something in front of an audience, but here we have an opportunity to put something together and only post it when we are happy with what we have done.

There is no necessity to post anything, but to get people 'viewing' there has to be something of interest in a Forum for people to feel it is worth their while going and having a look. Mike has said many times that he wants this Forum to be 'us having fun', and this has to be the basic objective. Having this 'Themed' Board gives us another place to visit and hopefully find something that interests us.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Mar 2017 14:24

Hi Ray,

That sounded pretty good to me. It's not always easy to get the 'melody' from a classical piece. I suppose one could argue that a classical piece is not just a 'melody', but is made up of all the component parts. Which is why I, like you (being basically a one handed player) tend to avoid playing classical pieces.

I'm glad you had the title of your piece .. Sonata Facile (Mozart) .. in your Box file name, or I wouldn't have had a clue what it was called.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 04 Mar 2017 16:41

Hi Ray,
A very fine performance, a pleasure to listen to. We are all hobbyists here and I don't think it matters what your chosen method of playing
is, you enjoy playing and I enjoy Listening. :D :D Also I know you have a very fine instrument which is suited to any style of playing.
Thanks for posting in this challenge. :D :D
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 04 Mar 2017 16:44

Hi Hugh,
A fine performance of God Save The Queen, sounded like some pretty deft footwork there. :D :D
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 04 Mar 2017 19:02

As Tony posted Jeremiah Clarke's most famours tune, I have followed up with his second most famous tune
the title of which is "Trumpet Tune" It is often played as an alternative wedding march

papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Mar 2017 22:54

Hi Brian,

Yes, I did recognise that one. And you definitely played 'classical' notes with both hands. Tell, me. Have you ever played organ in a church for weddings? Or indeed, on a church organ? I had an uncle who was a vicar at Langtree, Nr. Torrington in Devon. He used to let me play his church organ when I went to visit him. But not when anybody else was in the church as I would play eg. songs from The Sound Of Music and he wasn't sure that would be approved of!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 05 Mar 2017 00:02

Hi Hugh,
No, I have never been a church organist. I am afraid I am a lapsed Presbyterian. I am still a member of the church and I still get communion cards
through the door but I haven't been for years.
The church had the organ restored about ten years ago. I can't remember how much it cost but it was a huge amount.
I have a feeling it was £250 000 but I might be far out.
I used to volunteer in the church cafe and do other work for them but I always felt intimidated by the organ and never dared play it
The church organist is a fantastic player and is one of the organists who regularly plays at Kelvin Grove Art Galleries.
Brian.
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 Mar 2017 08:22

Hi Papadee

Nice playing. A minor correction though, the Trumpet Tune you played is, IIRC, by Henry Purcell (who used to be credited with the Trumpet Voluntary too). Keep it up.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby papadeedee » 05 Mar 2017 10:24

Hi Tony,
Notes at the top of this music say, "It is sometimes attributed to the great English composer, Henry Purcell. It was actually composed by one of his friends.
Jeremiah Clarke (1673- 1701)"
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 05 Mar 2017 13:50

Hi Tony. Enjoyed full version of God save.
Also enjoyed Trumpet voluntary. Always a favourite nice big ending. John

Hi Hugh. Nice God save with different sounds. John

Hi Ray. Enjoyed my listen seemed to recognise it but couldn't put a name to it. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 05 Mar 2017 14:10

Hi Brian. Nice trumpet tune which comes close to Trumpet voluntary. I was at Brancepeth church last night a friend was playing drums in a jazz band. Five singers, bass, guitar, trombone, trumpet, saxophone, and keyboard.It was an excellent night it was for the Bishops in Durham, wine, women and song and food for a fiver, John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 06 Mar 2017 08:30

Thanks for the correction Papadee. Seems that Jeremiah composed more than I first thought. My copy of the Trumpet tune is over 40 years old, and musical scholarship is like shifting sands!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Ray2 » 06 Mar 2017 11:27

Hi Gang, I enjoyed listening to all these entries, but it made me wonder if I had got out of my depth with my light classical tune against all this heavy stuff. (maybe stuff is the wrong word) Never mind, that was my idea of classical. Hugh, I am sorry about missing that title but when you are close to 90 you tend to forget things.It probably won't be the last :) :) :) Cheers, Ray.
Ray2

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Mar 2017 11:55

Ray,

No worries! It would have been a suitable candidate for Name That Tune if you hadn't gone and put the title into your file name! To follow up your "Rock style" classical piece, here's one in a similar vein from me.

Beethoven's Pathetique

https://app.box.com/s/84s7q4407p746d7jswneg2xu4yu5pr9b

The idea of playing Beethoven's Pathetique like this hasn't come originally from me. I had bought an LP of 'organ music' by an organist called Brian Hazelby, and he had played this piece exactly like this. So I have copied the idea from him. We did have Brian Hazelby come and play at one of our nearby organ clubs (not the Weston one) and I did get to speak to him in the interval. He had no recollection of ever having played this piece! But was thrilled to bits that I had really liked something he had played. I have looked for him on YouTube and he has a couple of songs on there .. but not put up by him. And not Beethoven's Pathetique.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 06 Mar 2017 12:49

hi hugh,
Beethoven's Pathetique That was very nice, the violins were lovely.
brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Hi!

Postby kens » 12 Mar 2017 18:48

One of my rare visits as I still look after my very ill wife and dont get around to playing much these days.
Just had to send this piece by Sibelious. He reintroduced it early in the 2nd war when Russia,at that time allied to Germany, invaded his little land of Finland. They held out for many weeks in dreadful conditions and as a lad I remember it well. It was used as a rallying call and I believe still used there to this day. Aptly named Finlandia.
regards to all and hope I will return fully one day Ken

https://app.box.com/s/6p67h367y37mqz25n9mderydboleitv2
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 13 Mar 2017 10:30

Hi ken,
A Dramatic piece of music and beautifully played. :D :D
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Mar 2017 13:59

Hi Ken,

A very dramatic piece to tackle. When that 'bass' comes in it just blows you away! This is not a piece I know so thanks for the explanation of it's origins.

Thanks for finding the time to post this.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Mar 2017 22:20

Xerxes, or Handel's Largo

https://app.box.com/s/7l8rdrrr2b2041bn2l65xly2j5shwf1j

I have tried to play this with a 'hint of William Orbit's interpretation'. To understand what I am on about, see this posting:

http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=314&t=5208

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 01 Apr 2017 11:20

Hi hugh,
That was a very nice listen. Did you play it by ear or with music ?
Either way, it was a lovely performance.
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Apr 2017 22:01

Thanks Brian for your comment. Yes, I had the music up in front of me. I usually do, but this is just to follow the chords (so music without the written chords is not much use to me). I don't 'read the dots'. Well, not the actual notes as represented by the dots, but I do follow the 'timing' as represented in the written music. If I don't I find I end up eg. not holding notes on for long enough, so end up with eg. only two beats in a bar instead of four. Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 09 Apr 2017 21:05

Hi! Some of my favourites here. Thanks for your input.
My mother was a classical trained pianist and I was brought up on classical music. Hated it until later years when I realised how beautiful some of it is.

This is a piece by George Frederick Handel named Lascia Ch'io Pianga and is heard regularly as backing to television adverts.

https://app.box.com/shared/k7ts020hav

Also (below) is a version I found on Utube. Regards Ken

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Apr 2017 22:36

Ken. That was a beautiful piece, beautifully played. You seem to have a knack of choosing some interesting and unusual sounds, and it's a real pleasure listening to you play. Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 10 Apr 2017 09:36

Thanks for comments Ken
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 11 Apr 2017 11:58

Hi Ken,
Another fine performance and it is very nice to have you back.
If your situation allows, please keep posting.
Brian

Continued on Page 2
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Classical Corner