Walking in the Air

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Walking in the Air

Postby lesh » 24 Dec 2018 19:02

Really struggle to record my playing but Just tried hitting the record button as I played this, its almost right?

Hope you like and a Merry Christmas to you all

Les

https://app.box.com/s/5kkidna5eojdny7x84k4p28gd04qhml8
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Re: Walking in the Air

Postby Brian007 » 25 Dec 2018 09:43

Hi Lesh,

That was a great performance of that number, I enjoyed listening to it very much, the voices and the style you used suited the tune perfectly and its a great tune as well,

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 26 Dec 2018 20:22

Thanks Brian for listening and your comments.

Regards

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Postby dragon » 26 Dec 2018 21:54

Pan pipes followed by a choir. Just right for this Christmas time. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 27 Dec 2018 08:18

Thank you Fred,

I have listened to it a few times now and not sure what you both think but I think that Snare drum is a bit loud.

As I have never altered a style before I’m going to see if I can reduce the volume of the snare or replace it with another instrument.

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 28 Dec 2018 11:47

Hi Les. Always like this one and not disappointed with your version. Nice style and choice of sounds. That recording button has a lot to answer for. A pleasant listen. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby golfer » 28 Dec 2018 12:48

Hi Lesh merry Christmas and Happy New year that's some button I think everyone has the same problem when they push the record button, that was so nice to listen to and very well played and the changes was great Bill.
golfer

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Dec 2018 14:04

Hi Les,

That is one of the best recordings of this song that I have heard! Your selection of voices and how you have brought them in at different points along the way was just perfect to my mind. And you kept the song 'moving'. This is a song that can 'drag' very easily, but it didn't do that in your version.

As for the drummer ... well, if you have ever played in a band as I have, you will realise that a drummer makes a major contribution to any song played and if you try to make him play too quietly you lose the dynamics of the song. Next time you listen to some pop music on the radio, have a critical listen to what contribution the drummer makes to the piece.

With my AR organ I can change the volume of any instrument playing after I have recorded it, play it back with the changes I have made and listen to whether or not the 'balance' is any better. I did this with my recording of These Foolish Things after Ron said, " I found the repetitive drum beat spoiled it for me as it took over from the melody". Click on this DEMO below and listen to how the difference in rhythm volume affects the overall sound of the piece.

Press the 'Back button' top left of screen after listening to get back to this topic
These Foolish Things - DEMO - first with full drums; then followed by rhythm with reduced volume

Remembering what I said about losing the 'dynamics' of the piece when you do something like this, I know which version I prefer. The original!

Going back to your "Walking In The Air", the drummer sounds fine!

Hugh

PS. If this is what you play when you press the RECORD button, could you press that 'record' button a bit more often please!
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 28 Dec 2018 20:55

Hi John and Bill,

Thanks for listening and your comments, it’s taken me about 4 weeks of trying different voices and styles and of course playing the right notes at the right time until I was happy enough to record, but enjoyed all the time spent.

Hi Hugh,

Glad you liked my version and thanks for your very positive feedback, think my heads a bit bigger than it use to be, ha ha.
I can see what you mean by losing the dynamics of a song after listening to your demo, certainly reducing the drum volume has an impact on the song, so I will leave mine alone, many thanks for that.

Thanks again for all your comments and
Wishing you all a happy new year.

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Return to Christmas Carols & Festive Songs 2018