Interpreting a piece of music you play

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Interpreting a piece of music you play

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 May 2019 07:56

I am always fascinated by how a piece of music is interpreted. If you are playing directly from the sheet music, then all the "phrasing" and nuances are probably there in the music and you will be playing somebody else's 'arrangement'. When I play a piece, I often listen to the piece on YouTube and try to base how I play it on that. So what I play is an arrangement I have done, but based on what I have heard (ie. I am playing it 'by ear').

But there are some people (who I would class as 'real musicians') who can play a piece with their own interpretation straight out the top of their head. What a talent! Here's an example of someone who does this. Jon D. Just listen to him playing I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover. Not only does he play his own interpretation of this song, but he uses his expression pedal to bring the piece to life. He has played this on a Tyros 5.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/1r9zn10e0xkqsr45imzuydu4or7hfflh

Another thing I really like about his arrangements is how he does his 'intros'. Most people just press a button for the 'auto intro', sit back and wait .. and then come in with the song. He always 'plays along' with the intro which makes the intro 'special' for the song he is playing.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Interpreting a piece of music you play

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 May 2019 09:07

Now I have played I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover (in a Medley) and if you listen to this you will see (actually, hear) that they way I have played it is completely different to Jon D's. A bit more 'straight-laced' in my interpretation of the song! Haven't got that natural talent!

Medley: Baby Face / Hello Mary Lou / Milord / I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover

Note too the 'auto intro' for this Medley (sitting and waiting to start playing the tune) .. and the 'auto ending'.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 May 2019 09:04

Here's a few more pieces by Jon D illustrating his complete mastership of musical interpretation. Again, he has his own 'bespoke' intros, and plays the pieces in his own inimitable way. Listen too to how his use of the expression pedal brings his pieces to life.

Do a right-click on each one to open it up in a New Tab.

On The Street Where You Live
https://app.box.com/s/7o0c6yws5yyfg2n03zyz89vn3s6v2inf

When I'm Cleaning Windows
https://app.box.com/s/829rbb2hhwjwbd18smzyehw1gw9g76s8

Birth Of The Blues
https://app.box.com/s/uwq3me2f7y717o3atcbtzytasny1lsob
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 May 2019 08:44

But it's not just about 'interpreting the melody' your own way. Take Classical music. A piece may have been written for a whole orchestra and you are trying to convey the 'mood' of the piece from a music score written for just one person to play. It's the setting up of the voices you are using, how you bring them in, how you 'phrase' what you are playing and how you use the expression pedal that will reflect your ability to convey that 'mood' of the piece.

Here is a classical piece played by Ken Shipton (kens) that illustrates the above.

https://app.box.com/s/vwha6q4rtt0vhwd3apxr1391qp0q4hb5

As Punch would say on Weston-super-Mare sea front, "That's the way to do it!".
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2019 16:53

Then we have another aspect of 'musical interpretation'. Instruments one would come across in a Jazz Band, like piano, trumpet, clarinet. trombone, saxophone ... who never play anything as it was written. They always have to 'muck about' with the melody, sometimes to the extent that the original melody is unrecognisable.

Don Wherly (DonW) played piano in his own band, so would have been constantly aware of what these other musicians were doing when they played. And how they played has been ingrained into his memory, so when he plays something with these instruments it comes naturally to him to play this way.

Listen to Don playing Home In Pasadena.

https://app.box.com/s/ujq6hde4gydmtkx7im00hctvvecb0h6o

This is what I said about this piece:
Love this 'swing' sound you get, and that steady beat with the drum and the banjo. I can hear you are going hammer and tongs with your feet on the pedals. How do you keep that up?!! And your band members are pretty sprightly too, ad-libbing on just about every note they play. And if anyone didn't think one could play solo instruments like this then just listen to the YouTube clip below.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2019 17:13

Another example of musicians 'ad-libbing' what they play as they go along.

New Orleans Dixieland on Street

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 May 2019 15:25

You all know Dancing Queen (Abba), I'm sure. How about this 'interpretation' of this piece? What was it I said?
They always have to 'muck about' with the melody, sometimes to the extent that the original melody is unrecognisable.

Dancing Queen - Abba (1920s Hot Jazz Cover) ft. Gunhild Carling

Did you recognise the tune? Gunhild Carling plays trumpet this time. Stick with it! She does a bit of tap dancing too. And what about that pianist? Some very talented musicians I fancy.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 May 2019 13:34

Continuing along the lines of interpreting a piece of music you play, here is "The Wonder Of You" played by James (NativeAngels) on his Korg Pa700.
He says:
I used registrations from the new Osimo Pa700 set. This set of registrations wasn't even for this song but thought it went well with it.

I said to James that this is quite a 'busy' backing to use for this song. James said that "The Wonder Of You" is usually played in 6/8 time.
Here below is Elvis singing it, so you can hear what James has done with this song.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Jun 2019 17:54

Here's another example of how to play saxophone on a keyboard and get it to sound really 'authentic'. This is by someone called Derek Miles and has been played on a Genos keyboard. It's the way he 'ad-libs' on the instrument that gives it this 'authentic' sound.

"When the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls"

Click the LINK below to listen. Press the 'back button' after listening to get back to this page.
Deep Purple played on a Genos keyboard with a Saxophone .. DEMO

I could listen to this sort of music for hours! Wish I could play like that!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jun 2019 00:17

Another 'interpretation' of a piece of music, this time by Peter S. New York City Boy by The Pet Shop Boys.

First listen to the original (YouTube clip below), and then listen to what Peter has done with it.

Below is Peter's take on this song played on his Korg PA4 keyboard.

https://app.box.com/s/gev6j5emq4g9pwkrwp6k164ysvyywoe5

Peter hasn't just gone for the backing and sound of the original, but has set this up with his own style and voicing. Interesting!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jun 2019 22:31

Here is a version of Love Me Tender (the Elvis Presley number) as played by Ken (kens). It's really refreshing to hear it played like this. An interesting interpretation of a piece of music.

https://app.box.com/s/c4fevfhywd1mh7koedty1sb8jl9wfoba

Going a step further with how to 'interpret' a piece of music, how do the professionals do it? Listen below to Love Me Tender as arranged and harmonized by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Music to my ears!

Elvis Love Me Tender w/ The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jun 2019 22:04

Here's an interpretation of George Gershwin's I Got Rhythm, arranged by Ajay (Tony Kettridge). This is a way out 'jazzy' piece, not easy to put together like this unless you have a real knowledge of music and know how a drummer might play this.

https://app.box.com/s/s47d0ngx7ozkvalqpm2dxxvo18rzdpea
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Aug 2019 22:28

Now here's another angle on interpreting a piece of music you play, This is by Max (Greenwilby), and what he has done here is to bring the backing up so it is equal in volume to the melody.

All Of Me, played by Max Greenwilby)

Here is what I said about it:
Now that was a very interesting Style to use for this piece. Sounded a bit like the 'Dutch Swing College Band'. I like how you blended all those instruments together. You didn't have the melody as the predominant sound, so you are listening equally to what all the other members of the band are playing. That is just how the Dutch Swing College Band would have played it.

Here's an example of the Dutch Swing College Band playing Tiger Rag. You can pick out the melody, but equally you are listening to what each instrument is playing.

Dutch Swing College Band - Tiger Rag

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Sep 2019 21:05

Max (Greenwilby) has played Climb Every Mountain on his Orla Ringway RS620. I told him that I normally play this song with three beats in a bar, having heard Judy Durham sing this song this way at the Royal Albert Hall. This song is normally played with four beats in the bar .. or as Max put it:
Listed as an 8 beat on my arrangement, which I doubt it was on its first incarnation. Have you got it on here?

This post is a follow-up to this.

Max,

The original Climb Every Mountain song is really interesting because it is sung 'freely' in the film and you really have to concentrate to find the time signature. But when she starts to sing (click the below), count '1' on the first beat of that bar .. and continue with 2, 3 and 4; 1,2 3, 4 again etc. and as I said, if you really concentrate the four beats will fit what she is singing. You can count up to 8 if you like instead of two lots of four. 8 beat or 4 beat .. I'm afraid I don't know the difference as far as the melody is concerned. It may be easier to identify the four beats further on in the song and not try to pick them out at the start.

Sound of Music - Climb Every Mountain

Now the Judy Durham one. Again you really have to concentrate, and this time count 1, 2, 3; then 1, 2, 3 again .. right through it. She sings the melody to fit those three beats. Try counting 1, 2, 3, 4 with this one and it very quickly goes to pieces. One or two 'professional musicians' have told me they can't hear the three beats :roll: :roll: .
Again, it may be easier to count the 1, 2, 3 once you get into the song and not try to do it at the beginning. I did say you really had to concentrate.

Judith Durham - Climb Ev'ry Mountain

You asked if I have played it for the Forum. Yes, I have. Now I haven't used a STYLE for this, and played the melody 'freely' ... but you should be able to put your three beats to the bar if you really concentrate.

I really love this song the way Judy Durham has done it.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Greenwilby » 01 Oct 2019 11:59

Have listened to all versions Hugh. I like yours also but I shall not attempt another version yet as I found it quite hard as many do to play, shall try it to see how I get on, perhaps you have hit the problem many have trying to play it.
Greenwilby
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Oct 2019 10:18

Here's another piece by Jon D interpreting a piece of music in his own inimitable way. He has some great sounding Registrations on that Tyros 5. Plenty of reverb on all his Voices, particularly the trumpet. Don't know how his fingers kept up with playing those violins!

Orange Blossom Special

https://app.box.com/s/mpd9d6cl3459f2cf02gk240ajvktkhid

If you haven't heard this number played by James Last, click the below:

James Last - Orange Blossom Special

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jan 2020 11:08

We have heard Derek Miles playing a Saxophone on his Genos keyboard. This is in the Topic How to play acoustic instruments authentically on a keyboard in the Voices section in Keyboard Techniques:

Click this LINK to go there. Do a right-click to open it up in a New Tab.
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=7933#p48117

... and now he has come up with a brilliant example of how to interpret a piece of music. The piece he has played is Mack the Knife, which I remember being sung by Bobby Darin in 1959. It was how Bobby Darin built it up from beginning to end, changing key as he went along that really made this piece. And Derek has done the same here.

Mack the Knife

https://app.box.com/s/x6zduph800i2z77pdy6vbyirhlq9gi9h
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Jan 2020 18:48

When I play something on my AR80 organ I usually listen to the song on YouTube first, and then try to find a STYLE with a rhythm that closely resembles the original song. This often means having to program my own backing PARTS into the Style to get what I want to hear. But there are keyboard players who seem to manage to 'fit' a tune to whatever Style they happen to find. One such keyboard player is Jon D, who I have mentioned in earlier posts.

Listen to this YouTube clip of The Carnival Is Over, a song by The Seekers from 1965. Make a particular note of the unusual rhythm the Seekers have used for this.

The Seekers - The Carnival is Over (1965)

Now here is Jon D's interpretation of this. A 'light and airy' rhythm .. something completely different to the original. And he has somehow managed to 'fit' the tune to his rhythm.

https://app.box.com/s/u675ncbeu6zbysz48kvh8nfdrcwuo2or

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 19 Jan 2020 13:21

Hi!
Thanks for posting the seekers video. I play the piece occasionally. I remember that last television performance of them together. For me it was very emotional and is a lasting memory. Perhaps I am an old softy but makes me wonder why certain events are so engrained in our memory banks.
Ken S.
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Apr 2020 09:28

I have a piece here played by Brian007 on his PSR-SX700 where he has made good use of the the sounds on his keyboard. Here is what I had to say about it:
You just have a way of putting songs together and everything 'flows' so well. You came straight in with your song so we heard you playing right from the very beginning. Long 'Intros' very rarely match the play that follows.

That Jazz Organ (Hammond) sounded really good, and you purposely added that bit of 'Tremolo' to it at the end. A great twist (pardon the pun!). Liked your piano. Very smooth and mellow. And the Vintage Open Guitar was a 60s guitar to the tee. That little bit of 'Glide' was using the keyboard's technology to great effect. Another thing I really like about your music is how you add a 'voice' to the left of the split. In this case Boys Choir? Gives a nice 'rounded' sound in the background. This adds 'body' to the Style. But you didn't have that there all the time (eg.when you were playing piano) which gave a nice contrast.

https://app.box.com/s/0un5a2krkweeqgru0k2q441mtyawkoqm
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Apr 2020 22:37

Arthur (abr250) has played and arranged the piece of music below. This is what I had to say about it:
Really enjoyed that. What a super arrangement. That change from the emphasis being on every other beat in the bar to every beat in the bar just blew me away! Interesting 'jazzy' voices, particularly the saxophone at the start where you have managed to change the 'texture' of the saxophone by using the 'touch' feature to best advantage. Brilliant!

Moondance

https://app.box.com/s/znasv4nkxqqykkb63oe29vz0f6jzhyam
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jun 2020 09:04

You know, playing music is not all about playing the right notes. Any piece of music has to 'flow' as you're playing it, and using the 'expression' pedal in the right way can give a 'lift' to your music. An expression pedal is not just used for quiet and loud parts of the music (eg. when you see a 'p' or an 'f' in classical music). Listen here to how Jon Davis (Jon D) uses his expression pedal to give a 'bounce' to what he is playing. This is what I said:
What a talented player you are! That piece really lifted my spirits! You made such use of that expression pedal again to give a real lift to your music. When you were doing your rounds in the clubs I bet they were bending over backwards to have you come and play.

Click the LINK below to listen. Then press the 'back-arrow' after to get back to this page.
Running Bear played by Jon Davis
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jun 2020 23:22

Another interesting arrangement of a piece of music, this time by George Turner (George), playing You made me love you.

This is what I said about it:
That was fabulous! I liked how this Style emphasised every beat of the bar, and particularly when the bass did the same. And I always like to hear a 'voice' with the Style, in this case a drawbar organ. Great choice and variety of voices too.

https://app.box.com/s/v8w464ymd42c849mz66c39jk3l0xnsrm
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Aug 2020 12:44

So far we haven't had any church organists showing us how they would change their sounds by 'pushing/pulling the stops in/out', or electronically, using the buttons to change the sound. Of course it does help having two or more manuals on an organ as you can then move from one manual to another without having to 'change the Registration Memory'. Here is TDP Member Rev Tony Newnham playing his Viscount Envoy 35FV Digital Organ.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Sep 2020 00:04

Looking down the list of songs in MUSIC FINDER on my Tyros 4 I came across this one:

When selecting this song, a REGISTRATION was set up for me to play it.

Looks promising, with Guitar Serenade as the STYLE (3/4 Time .. a Waltz) and Concert Guitar as the main instrument.

I play 'by ear', not from music, so had a listen on YouTube to Roy Orbison singing it:

Roy Orbison - Beautiful Dreamer

Now that threw me a bit, as in my head that one word / Dreamer / was one bar of music, yet here it was being sung as two .. / Dream / er / (two bars of three beats). So with his Waltz he sings the second half of a word ( the er) on the first beat of the bar! That doesn't go down well with me. If you watch the video again and 'count' one, two, three in your head you'll see what I mean.

So I found another YouTube clip of this song, this time with a guitarist playing it. Beautiful guitar playing, and although he plays 'Dreamer' as one word, he then has a bar of improvisation before he comes in with the next line of the song (Wake unto me).

Beautiful Dreamer - Fingerstyle Guitar Solo

One last look for how this piece is played, this time by a pianist.

Beautiful Dreamer - Stephen Foster

I think the time has come to take a look at the music score for this!

So there's the clue. It's in 9/8 time, and I don't reckon that can be played as a Waltz. 6/8 time as a Waltz, maybe. But not 9/8. And we don't have a 9/8 STYLE on our keyboards. Now all keyboard STYLES have a MEASURE. This is the number of bars when the 'pattern' of a STYLE repeats itself. A MEASURE is usually 4 bars, and I like to play my keyboard to fit that.

So here is my 'interpretation' of this song, keeping to four 'Measures'. If you count 1, 2, 3 (the Waltz time) in groups of 4 bars (the Measure) you will see how this works out. Except in one place! And that's when I change key. I only had one bar for my key change, / D7 - - /! :( :(

Beautiful Dreamer played on my Tyros 4 as a Waltz

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Oct 2021 21:39

Have listened to a piece of music put up by John Storey (JohnS) in the Yamaha Keyboard Forum .. Feelings. Reflecting on the Title of the piece, this is exactly how John has played it .. with feeling! And it's not just the music that reflects the Title of the piece. He has made a super video to go with it too!

This is what I had to say about it:
That was just fabulous! The 'soft' sounds you had were played with real feeling. Loved it!

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Dec 2021 14:31

A toss-up as to where to put this next one. Jon Davis (Jon D) again, playing Winter Wonderland. Interpreting a piece of music you play (definitely this) .. but without using the Expression Pedal (Volume Pedal) it would not have the WOW factor that it has. So I shall put it in both.

Do a right click to open this up in a New Tab.
https://app.box.com/s/7znp4bftujvwtx305sr9zhbo8ct9pu13
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Dec 2021 22:07

Jon Davis again, playing Half As Much.

Do a right click to open this up in a New Tab.
https://app.box.com/s/xzjukx7pthcsr2kkshlo2czjh5j8t8b5

This is the comment I made about this piece:
Hi Jon,

Really liked those organ sounds you have at the start. Then every other voice you have chosen has sounded perfect. I gather you have spent a lot of time tweaking your voices until you get them to sound as you want. Time well spent!

You have got the balance between the Style and the melody spot on. And you are a dab hand at adding melodies into those Intros and Endings. Most people will just sit back and let the keyboard do it's own thing. What a difference it makes to 'customise' the ending and make it your own.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jan 2022 22:24

Now just listen to this piece, arranged and played by Ken Hall from the Yamaha Keyboard Forum.

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Written by Frank Loesser in 1947 and recorded by 'Ella' amongst others...
Style: Acoustic Jazz slowed to 81 bpm.

I did ask him if he had used a MULTIPAD to enhance his STYLE .. but he plays a Clavinova and he says there are no Multipads on a Clavinova. To get his sounds he says:
I just choose a selection of voices that I feel fit the songs being played, utilising the single left-voice and the two right-voice options.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
https://app.box.com/s/w83uijg6678370ph30x4g5yuivb5k48f

He certainly has some very realistic sounding instruments on his Clavinova.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jan 2022 15:48

Now here's an interesting interpretation of a song, complete with thunder and lightning and rain. Let It Go, played by Torben Goldin.

This is what Torben had to say about it:
Let It Go is from Disney's movie Frozen. I have created the music track by mixing some sound effects and 2 different styles. Played on my Yamaha Genos.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 02 Feb 2022 00:12

Here's a Big Band number by Derek Miles.

Do a right-click to open this up in a new Tab.
https://app.box.com/s/xxo42nx3mpopk1jvy82zokpn9fdwogcu
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 19 Feb 2022 11:47

Marche Tiroler Polka Yamaha Tyros 4 Chrisitan Leskumpels

This really is nimble fingers. Listen to the end.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Apr 2022 00:05

Now here's an interesting comparison. Same person playing the same piece .. but at two different tempos. Jon Davis (Jon D) playing Freight Train.

First listen to Jon's original recording.

Now listen to Jon playing this a lot faster. This'll really get you going!

Note: This isn't just the recording above 'speeded up'. Jon has chosen a completely different STYLE with a faster TEMPO and then played the song in a way that suits the new Style.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Sep 2022 20:16

I do listen to other keyboard players on YouTube, and every so often come across one that I am really impressed with. This piece is played on a Tyros 4 with an accordion voice, and the way he has played it can leave you in no doubt that he knows how to play this sort of music to perfection. Note how in the middle he triggers INTRO III to play an 'interlude' for him .. and at the end triggers ENDING III to wind everything up.

Note too that he is doing an AUDIO RECORDING to WAV while he is filming himself playing (he stops the Audio Recorder right at the end). This is what gives him such superb quality for his recording. Recording with microphones would not have given such a clear, clean stereo sound. The only drawback with doing a video this way is that you have to synchronize the audio with the video afterwards. It's not always easy to get the fingers to coincide spot on with the music you are listening to!

Auf der Autobahn / Hochzeitsmarsch Tyros 4 Oktoberfest Wies'n

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Apr 2023 16:28

Here's Only You played by John Storey (JohnS) on his Tyros 5.

This is what I had to say about it on audio.com:
John. Another brilliant arrangement! There are some wonderful chords in this piece. Right up my street! Particularly liked the organ voice coming in. I have listened to this six times now! A really inspiring piece of music! Hugh

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Playing Technique