Multitracking

Have you ever tried Multitracking? Post any songs you have 'multitracked' in here .. and tell us how you did it.

Multitracking

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Jan 2019 23:58

MULTITRACKING

When we play something on our keyboards we have just 'two hands' to do it (and feet as well if you have an organ). But as musicians, there is probably a lot more we would like to put into our music .. and that's where "multitracking" comes in. This is the ability to add into what you have recorded after the event.

It is not always easy to tell if a piece has been 'multitracked', as when you hear several things going on at the same time there could be a number of reasons for it. For starters, what you are hearing could be a PART in a STYLE, and there are several of those .. Bass, Chord 1, Chord 2, Pad, Phrase 1 and Phrase 2. Then there are the Multipads on keyboards which are used to add a bit of 'spice' to what you are playing. If you are playing an organ, you may be able to play notes on the lower manual at the same time as playing the tune on the upper .. and the voices on the upper and lower can be set up differently making it sound as though some multitracking has taken place. I have an example of this. A piece played by Charles Hughes (ChuckH) called A Trumpeter's Lullaby, written by American composer Leroy Anderson in 1949.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/uiov301m57msxn4xtxkmqnjbasu0is7z

Listening to that, I made this comment to Charles:
Loved that combination of Trumpet and Horn. Tell me, as we can hear Trumpet (on the Upper?) and Horn and chord harmonies (on the Lower?) I presume that you do not actually have three hands, but did a 'double recording'? Multi-tracked it is the expression, I think.

Charles' reply was as follows:
Hugh .. I split the lower keyboard and put a horn on the right of the split which I occasionally brought into play by stretching my right hand between upper and lower keyboard; I've not tried doing a double recording as yet. Stretching to play two keyboards with one hand does take a lot of slow practice which, in the early days, seems to be getting nowhere, then one day it just sort of comes together. I had the solo Dixie Trumpet on the upper keyboad. I used the right foot switch to change the registrations.

... so no "Multitracking" going on here.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Multitracking

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Jan 2019 22:40

Of course there is no need to 'multitrack' a song. Just set your song up, use as much technology as your keyboard will let you and play your piece with two hands. The more technology you can get into your piece the better. But equally, don't make your piece too 'busy' or it will sound 'cluttered'. And this goes for when you are multitracking too. Take a leaf from Brian007's book and play your pieces the KISS way (Keep It Simple See).

There are not many of us who attempt to multitrack, and we only do that to achieve what we want to hear musically. And I want to include in further posts some examples of this.

But first, here is a track by Jon D who as far as I know just plays his keyboard 'as is' .. with no multitracking. Drum breaks; a few 'whees', slides and run-downs; and some great voices chosen. This is not the sort of 'performance' where you would even want to include any multi-tracking, as what he has played and the way he has played it is just perfect to listen to as it is. And it's a very good example of KISS.

Do a right-click to open this song up in a New Tab
All I Ever Need Is You played by Jon D (MP3)
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Feb 2019 20:37

So what is 'multitracking'? It's adding counter melodies and musical 'bits and pieces' after you have done the recording. As I said, it is often difficult to tell if a piece has been multitracked or not as there are ways and means of adding things into the music without having to do what is effectively a 'double recording'. So, if you can play it with two hands and put the 'extras' into your music by using Multipads, or maybe playing on two manuals at the same time with one hand, then it is not Multitracking.

Listen carefully to this piece, played by Brian007 in 2016. You can hear those little counter melodies coming in at different places. To my way of thinking, this is Brian being creative and getting into his recording what he has in his head. It isn't something you will find written in the sheet music. But you will hear things that you may want to incorporate into your music when you listen to the original recordings on YouTube. Listening to a 'band' is like listening to an orchestra. Everyone has their own part to play, and if you did have sheet music for it then there would have to be a sheet for each person to follow individually. And it's these extra bits you can hear which, if you can put them in, gives a 'fullness' to the music you are creating.

Is This The Way To Amarillo

https://app.box.com/s/2e6chu99d5ax30axd7rz95jcvs2ysluj

It is very satisfying to end up with a recording like this that you have put together yourself.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Feb 2019 21:46

Here is a DEMO by me that is not multitracking. True Love. What I have done in this piece is to play my 'counter harmony' as 'harmony over-the-top' (as I call it), using the right hand to play both the melody and the 'counter harmony'. Rather like when you hear a 'descant' being sung by a choir. The rest of the choir are singing the main melody and the descant is a 'counter melody' sung 'over-the-top'. Note that in an example like this, the melody and 'counter melody' are played with the same instrument, as it is the right hand playing both in the same part of the keyboard.

True Love DEMO (MP3)

... and below is a DEMO that is multitracking. I'd Do Anything (from Oliver). In this case the two instruments I have used are different. I have an Oboe playing the tune; and the multitracked counter melody (underneath) is played with a Horn.

I'd Do Anything DEMO (MP3)
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Feb 2019 18:34

Now here's another great example of Multitracking, again by Brian (Brian007).

True Love Ways
Brian has played the main melody with Piano .. but then has 'added in' some strings. What a superb sound this makes, and completes the piece musically.

Click this LINK to listen (maybe do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab):
Demo of Multitracking with Piano and Strings by Brian007

If you want to hear the whole piece, it's here (again, do a right-click and choose Open in New Tab):
https://app.box.com/s/pms7sn3senn6ecqgukdqosry6kbdhdm1

What can be more satisfying than to come up with something like this? I asked Brian how he did this sort of thing, and he said using Audacity. I have never tried using Audacity for doing anything like this, but I shall be giving it a go.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Feb 2019 10:55

I had put this comment where Brian had posted this song (in Instrumentals):
What a brilliant arrangement this is! Love the way you have multitracked it and put the STRINGS into the mix.

... and Brian had said he was glad I had enjoyed it. Below is my Reply:

Brian,

Enjoyed it? Really, really enjoyed it. As for your comment:
Multitracking this piece was easy as the strings in the song are easily distinguishable from the backing and vocal so not too hard to pick it out ..

.. well maybe not for you, but I have to really concentrate to pick things like this out. I remember a rep staying regularly at our Hotel, who was a keyboard player, brought his keyboard with him and hooked it up through the amp of my AR80 organ to get a better sound out of it. He did things like this and invited me to have a go. But with every song I played, I could never think of anything to 'add in', and my fingers always wanted to play just the tune. I suppose my brain was pre-programmed to do this. Maybe I would have got on better if we had had YouTube in those days and could have listened to some of the counter melodies in the songs I played.

To my way of thinking, this is a talent you have .. and I am very envious! Maybe with a bit of practice ... ?

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Feb 2019 09:22

Here is another one that Brian (Brian007) has Multitracked. Listen carefully to the extra bits and counter-melodies he has put in. He says he has done this entirely on the keyboard. ie. he has not used Audacity to do it.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Jun 2019 21:16

If you have an orchestra playing a 'classical' piece, then each instrument in the orchestra will have it's own music to follow, and all the instruments will be playing together at the same time. If we want to create a similar piece on a keyboard, we are a bit restricted by only having two hands. So here again is where 'multitracking' comes into its own. You could start with one of the instruments; then add another while you are listening to the first. You now have two instruments recorded. Whilst playing that back, you could add in a third. And you could do this a number of times. I'm sure you get the picture. You will end up with all those orchestral instruments playing together, but they weren't all playing at the same time. Here's an example of doing this.

G. Caccini - "Ave Maria"

The person who put this together (Mike N) says:
This is a 5 part score which I have arranged from a "free score" site. The voices are: top left - viola; top right - cello, bass & 3rd violin; bottom left - violin 2; and bottom right - violin 1.

For violin 1 (bottom right) I used my Roland electronic accordion connected via midi to my PSR S900. I used my accordion solely because I can create better dynamic volume increases/decreases with the bellows, far better than using a swell pedal. I had to record each part and then with a lot of blood, sweat and tears, edit the video and the audio so it all fitted together "as one".

Everything you hear/see is Mike playing. This must be the most innovative example of multitracking that I have ever come across, and illustrates brilliantly how to put together various instruments to make an orchestral piece.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Jun 2019 16:57

I had an organist friend who had his own pop band in the 60s. He would say to me that 50s/60s music was brilliant because you could actually hear what each band member was doing. Once you had worked out exactly what they were doing you could do something similar yourself. Which is where some multitracking would come in.

Of course what I have said above depends on if you want to create a piece of music on the same lines as the original. If you don't, and just want to play the song in your own way, then great. It would probably end up sounding nothing like the original, and would be your own interpretation of the piece. We have examples of Members 'interpreting a piece of music' their own way in this topic:

http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=402&t=7591

When I was a teenager we had 'Top of the Pops' lists which were based on record sales. I loved to listen to the Top Ten each week, and would often rush out and buy the latest 45rpm record (no, not 78s. Those are what my Dad used to play). And to me, it wasn't just the song or the singer I was going for. It was the whole arrangement .. the chords and the in-between bits that did it for me. One such record I bought was Pat Boone singing Love Letters In The Sand. Loved it. This was a major hit in June and July 1957, spending 5 weeks at number one on the Billboard Top 100, with 34 weeks in total on the chart. Years later, when we were in the CD age, I saw a CD of 1950's hits .. and one of the tracks was Love Letters In The Sand sung by Pat Boone. So full of nostalgia, I bought the CD, took it home and played that track. I have never been so disappointed! It sounded awful! Then I looked closer at the CD sleeve and it said, "All the tracks on this CD are sung by the original Artistes, but are not necessarily the versions that were in the hit parade". All I can say is that the version I was listening to would never have made the hit parade. There was no 'reverb' in it, for starters.

So I hope the above gives some insight into what I play, and why. I do like to get a song to sound like I remember it. Or maybe a more recent recent version that I liked the sound of.

Going back to Buddy Holly's True Love Ways, you can hear all the relevant parts of the arrangement. The strings, saxophone ...

.. and to remind you again how Brian has played it, multitracking the strings, here it is again. A YouTube version this time.

When you listen to the original, there are not only 'strings' one could add in, but a saxophone, harp ...
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Jun 2019 15:25

Similar to the "Ave Maria" put together by Mike N above, here is another example of a classical piece that has been Multitracked ie. the various melodies that make up the 'whole' piece have been played separately and then put together.

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D | Keyboard multitrack

Thinking about what has been done here, and looking at what Brian007 has done (above), we could maybe describe what we do as "adding another 'layer' to what we have already recorded". Or in other words, rather than having each component of a song as a separate entity that is mixed together, we play as much of a piece as we can on our keyboards with two hands, and then whilst listening to the piece playing back we 'add in' another 'layer'. So Brian has added another 'layer' (the strings) to what he had recorded originally.

With the Yamaha AR Organ we can do a 'limited' amount of 'multitracking'. How this works is like this. We can record the Upper Manual, the Lower Manual, and the Bass Pedals separately. And with the AR we record to 'floppy disk' (yes, the AR is that old!).

We can split the Lower Manual on the AR at any point we choose. We then effectively have a lower manual that we can play 'as a keyboard', choosing a STYLE and forming chords to the left of the split, which will then play in the 'style' chosen. There is a Rhythm section, Bass PART .. and all the other PARTS one is familiar with on a Yamaha keyboard: CHORD 1, CHORD 2, PAD, PHRASE 1 and PHRASE 2. You can have these PARTS either ON or OFF. But whereas on a keyboard you would always play 'the tune' to the right of the split, on an organ you have two options as to where to play the tune .. either to the right of the split on the Lower (as with a keyboard), or on the Upper manual .. where you have every note available to play the tune.

So how this 'multitracking' works is, first record the Lower 'as a keyboard'. You could use the right of the split to play the melody .. but you probably wouldn't. You would play a 'counter melody', or other bits and pieces in that area to the right of the split. So you have to think ahead as to what it is you are trying to achieve. You then play your recording back, and whilst listening to it record the tune on the Upper. This will 'add' that second 'layer' to what you have already recorded.

Now theoretically, you could then do a 'third' layer .. with the bass pedals (you would have to not use the 'autobass' from the STYLE if you were to do this). Listen to what you have done so far on the Lower and the Upper .. and play the pedals along with it. Now any organist would not need to do this as they would play the pedals at the same time as playing the Lower, unless ..

.. as one of the AR Group Members put it:
You could do a final 'layer' with the PEDALS on REC and everything else on PLAY. Start the recording going, then kneel down on the floor and play a bass part with hands, wrists and elbows!

Here is a 'layered' recording Margaret Draper (MARGARETD) has done. 40 Miles of Bad Road. You can hear where Margaret has 'added in' her 'ditty'. From the way she has played it, this is clearly not one of the PARTS in her STYLE.

https://app.box.com/s/z74u3cdc50igra7sl0cx3ff1fed682h2
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Jun 2019 14:57

Here's another brilliant example of 'adding another layer' (strings again) to a piece, this time by Pete (peterwalkerS770).

The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley, Extended Cover. Composer: Baker Knight, an American musician.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jun 2019 23:51

(Is This The Way To) Amarillo

An example of multitracking done on my Yamaha AR80 organ. The Music Disk Recorder on the AR will record the Lower and the Upper Manuals separately if you want it to do this. The norm is to record them both together in 'one take'.

First I recorded the 'piano part' to the floppy disk using both hands on the Lower manual; then as I 'played that back' I recorded the melody over the top by playing on the Upper manual. This is not as easy as it looks as you initially have to play the 'accompaniment' right through from beginning to end without hearing any of the song while you are doing it. I usually sing the song out loud as I'm playing it (just as well none of you are listening!).

The 'accompaniment part' (DEMO):

Press the 'back button' after listening to get back to this page
Accompaniment to Amarillo played on the LOWER

The actual backing recording I made was about three times as long as this, and required three times as much concentration to know where I was in the song.

Then the easy bit. Play the recording back and 'add' the tune to the Upper manual whilst listening to what was recorded on the Lower.
Click the below to hear how the two sound when put together.

Amarillo .. a short DEMO version

Again, this is just a DEMO. The actual song is about three times as long as this. To hear the whole song, click the below.

Amarillo .. the complete song

Here is the original (Is This The Way To) Amarillo by Neil Sedaka, which he released in 1977. Here he is singing it at the Royal Albert Hall, and showing off his talents as a classical pianist. And in this clip, Tony Christie joins him on stage and they do a bit of vocal harmony together.

Love it!

It's all about the music.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Jul 2019 12:14

Here's another two examples of 'multi-tracking' by 'layering' the two parts of the recording ie. playing the Lower of my AR80 organ with two hands and recording that to the floppy disk; then playing what I have recorded back, and adding in to the recording the melody on the Upper.

Calypso Carol

Again, I have set the whole of the Lower up as a Piano, and played that with two hands to create a backing to the song. As I said above, one has to play the whole thing through from beginning to end with no melody sounding, so you have to keep your wits about you and know exactly where you are in the song at every point. Either sing the song in your head as you are going along, or sing out loud and hope no one can hear you! This is what the backing sounds like (just the first few bars .. not the whole piece!):

Press the 'back button' to get back to this page once you have listened to the Demo
DEMO of piano backing for Calypso Carol

And this is how it sounds when the Upper is added in to the recording .. the whole piece this time.

Press the 'back button' to get back to this page once you have listened to the recording
Calypso Carol (MP3) played on the AR80 organ

Away In A Manger

This time I have 'split' the Lower and played the Lower 'as a keyboard', using a STYLE and playing chords to the left of the split .. but instead of playing the melody on the right of the split, I have played a 'counter melody'. Again, this has to be done from beginning to end so I have to know exactly where in the song I have got to. Here's a snippet of what I have played on the Lower:

Press the 'back button' to get back to this page once you have listened to the recording
DEMO of Style and Counter Melody played on the Lower

And here is a snippet of how it sounds when the melody played on the Upper is added to the recording:

DEMO of Style, Melody and Counter Melody sounding together

Why have I gone to all this trouble, with both of these pieces? It's a question of having these ideas in your head and wanting to 'get them down on paper' (or I should say, 'get them down as music'). For once, it's not me trying to get something to 'sound like the original', as I did with Amarillo. Somebody once said to me in the Hotel, "How come you keep listening to music you have recorded? Don't you get tired of listening to yourself playing?". My reply was, "If you want to hear a piece of music played in a particular way, how else would you be able to listen to it? What you would be listening to would be somebody else's 'arrangement'."

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 Jul 2019 12:49

'Classical music' that has been written for an orchestra has each section of instruments playing a score that has been written specifically for them. It's the blending together of the 'parts' those instruments are playing that create the complete work. Yes, you can get the piece 'arranged' so you can play it on a piano or a keyboard with two hands, but that will not have all the harmonies and counter melodies that you can hear in the orchestral work.

So you could say that Classical music lends itself to being 'multitracked' as in the two YouTube examples above. Click on the YouTube clip below to hear how a real orchestra sounds when the various instruments (strings, in this case) are all playing together.

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, I. Allegro | New Century Chamber Orchestra

One of our previous Members, Eddie Smart, has tackled this piece by multitracking the various 'string' parts. This is what he had to say about it:
At long last I have finished my multitracked recording of Mozart's first movement of his Little Night Music' suite. It has taken me about 8 months to get this to a standard that I was happy with. The entire recording was arranged and multi-tracked over a period on a Korg PA2x, I hope you enjoy this one as it's probably the most ambitious project I have undertaken on my Korg and it's a far cry from the popular music that I normally like to play.

Click the below to hear Eddie's take on this.

https://app.box.com/s/qjg4cw3vbrlnuw6zb38s

Here are some of the comments that were put up in response to this recording. From Georgeandmarj:
That is an impressive piece of work. I'm not a fan of multitracking, but this is great. It sounded like a full orchestra. It just shows what can be achieved. Well done.

And from gerso:
I have been multi-tracking since the early 80's and I have to say what you've achieved here is a real cracker. Multi-tracking is an art and requires some skill. The knockers of this modern way of producing recordings should realise that just by playing an arranger keyboard with a style they are multi-tracking. The time taken by you to complete this project was time well spent. Also you are playing each individual instrument to build up the piece, no mean feat. I take my hat off to you.

I have never heard a Classical piece played as well as this on a keyboard. Just brilliant!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 May 2020 16:29

There's no doubt that Brian (Brian007) has a talent for knowing exactly what he wants to hear in a multi-tracked arrangement, and finding just the right sounds to complement each other. Here he is with his 'multi-tracking hat' on again. Played on his Yamaha PSR-SX700.

When My Little Girl is Smiling

https://app.box.com/s/nkylwqy3ccp33i1qdd3xs6nx8wzwspft
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 02 Jun 2020 09:51

Here's more from Brian. This is what I said to him:
Of course when I hear you play, what I hear is your final arrangement, and as far as I am concerned It's all about the music I am listening to. I never know how you have arrived at what I hear. What I do know is that it takes some insight as to how a keyboard works, and you have to have a musician's hat on to be able to put the keyboard's technology to good use.

Rhythm of The Rain

https://app.box.com/s/y4s61gx1z5a1xwwy1g5syjchrb4x4zg0
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Nov 2021 00:25

Here's another good example of Multitracking. In this case the multitracked piece is a 'round', a piece of music where the melody 'parts' are repeated over the top of each other as the song progresses. Difficult to do if you're on your own with one keyboard, so you have no option but to multitrack it. In the video below, Julie Gaulke has multitracked her video too so you can see her singing the parts as a 'round'.

Music Alone Shall Live - traditional round - Julie Gaulke multitrack

This next one. I appreciate that it's a multitracked VOCAL, but it just shows what you can achieve with MULTITRACKING.

How Do You Keep The Music Playing? (arr. Julie Gaulke)

If you have enjoyed listening to Julie Gaulke, she has a web prescence. This LINK takes you to her VIDEOS page:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
https://www.juliegaulkemusic.com/video.html

Click her BIO tab to learn more about her.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Multitracking