Roland BK-9 New Demo Videos

Roland keyboards & workstations

Moderator: andyg

Roland BK-9 New Demo Videos

Postby Mike Bracchi » 10 Apr 2013 10:42

25 minutes of style and voice demonstrations 8)

Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Roland BK-9 New Demo Video

Postby Fred » 10 Apr 2013 13:20

Thanks Mike

Interesting that the guy did not use the keyboard in the traditional split mode at all. Will need to see how the new Chord recognition feature shapes up.

The guy is obviously a very accomplished player so I think he could make my "stylus" sound good.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

5 New BK9 Demos

Postby Abacus » 22 May 2013 10:03

Enjoy

Bill

Abacus

Re: 5 New BK9 Demos

Postby Craig » 22 May 2013 11:32

Cheers Bill, just spotted these myself on the net. Off to have a listen :)
Craig

Postby Fred » 01 Jun 2013 12:12

Hi Craig

Nice to see that you have made the plunge to try Roland (BK9) again.
I would be interested in your review once you have had time to explore. I appreciate it might take some time especially with 540 on board style plus the ones you have additionally acquired.

The one feature that I'm a little unsure of (as I have not yet seen one yet) is the capability of chord recognition when playing in piano mode rather than the more usual mode of split keyboard.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Craig » 01 Jun 2013 13:17

I'll let you know Fred. With any arranger keyboard I buy, I play both in split mode and full keyboard mode. I also knock the accompaniment off and play it as you would a piano, as well as using it as a controller keyboard with Cubase.

After a disaster with a Ketron recently, it's nice to have something new that works.

I purchased a 2nd hand Ketron Audya from Allens Music Centre, reasonable price at £2000 and excellent condition case wise, but it arrived with quite a few faults. Many of the audio styles were glitching (the loops were hanging and there was a noticeable delay when they reached the end before starting again), also when using fills in and pressing variation buttons, the previous chord would sometimes hang in memory and the new chord would sound on top of the last one, so not a nice noise and would certainly give anyone a bad name using it outside in a live situation. Allens Music Centre were appalling to deal with, ignored phone calls, e-mails, an official letter sent via recorded post asking them to uplift the faulty keyboard within 7 working days, so I had to take them through the small claims court in order to get a full refund, plus it cost them an extra £80 as they had to pay the court fee back to me too. I've never come across a shop like it with such unfriendly, condescending staff, but glad to see the back of Ketron and that shop for good! Anyone looking for a Ketron Audya, just make sure you do not go there and end up with the one I did :cry:

Update:
I've just noticed that an Audya is back for sale on Allens site. The faulty one they sold me serial number F1AA12349M was only picked up from my house the other day. What a coincedence, if this is the one I had, it's being sold again without them even sending it to Ketron to be looked at. I feel sorry for the person who buys this, if they have to go through the same hassle as I was put through.
Craig

Postby Craig » 01 Jun 2013 13:31

Another BK-9 demo, one of the better ones out there

I also found a video on a Russian site last week, but can't find the link. That was around 12 minutes long on YouTube.
Craig

Re: Roland BK-9 New Demo Videos

Postby Abacus » 02 Jun 2013 08:48

Hi Craig

Always annoying when something doesn’t go as expected

Sounds like it was an early version that did have a number of problems, (The forums were filled with complaints of problems like that) however you can download the latest software from Ketron which brings it up to the latest correctly working version. (Most users are now happy as punch with the board, some even claiming that it is the best arranger ever made bar none)

Bill
Abacus

Postby Craig » 02 Jun 2013 13:37

Hi Bill. The version that was pre-installed was 4.2, the first thing I did was to update it to the latest 5 version. The issues were present with both software versions.
You'd think with the original Audya coming out back in 2009, they would have fixed these issues by now with their software updates, but no. Having rang Ketron the same thing I heard has been reported before and on the forums by other owners and another Ketron user I've spoken with also had the same issue with his machine, although since he has upgraded to the AJam sonic, he's not heard any glitches with the audio styles. The update is available in America, costs about £450, basically a new hard drive. The loops have been lengthened, some new sound etc, but if you have an early model and I have no idea how old the machine was, you may also need a new sound board to take the extra memory, so you are looking at £1000 give or take to go down that route. From the serial number when I asked Ketron to check it they said my machine was 2011 release, but it only had the basic amount of memory.
There was no way when it came faulty I was going to spend more money on some update from America, just to correct issues already in there. Personally I think the hard drive they put in the Audya is far too slow to handle the audio loops, which is why there is a noticeable delay when they reach the end of the loop and then play back. This AJam sonic, if someone wanted to give you new sounds, they could put them on a USB stick, not a new hard drive and with people saying they hear no glitches once this new hard drive is fitted, it certainly makes you wonder.
Anyway live and learn, no more Ketron again for me and as for Allens Music, good riddance.
Craig

Postby LeoP » 02 Jun 2013 20:28

Hello Craig, i have a friend who is a pro keyboard player and he gigs with a audya5 and a host of other ketron stuff, whilst he had a few problems with the loop delay the updated software sorted that out several years back, i often play his keybaord and i can say without doubt that not onlly is it built like atank it has some of the finest voicing and most realistic sounding drums/styles on any keyboard on todays market. Yamaha are making a big thing about audio styles and real time stretch tecnology on the 950 but ketron have had that sown up several years ago. its a shame that you have had a bad experience with your recent purchase of one :( As for Allens I have also had unpleasant experiences with them in the past. I hope you are getting along with the new Roland, looks like a super keyboard. :)
LeoP

Return to Roland Organ, Keyboards & Workstations