Pop Ups

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Pop Ups

Postby dragon » 12 May 2015 18:34

My computer is being plagued by pop ups. This is quite recent. Every so often I am being advised to phone a certain number to have them removed. I have avoided doing this as I suspect it might be a scam. Does any Forumite know how to deal with this or can suggest a proved pop up remover. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Re: Pop Ups

Postby papadeedee » 13 May 2015 12:41

Hi Fred,
Have you installed Add block or Add Block plus, they are both free. I have both running.
Brian D
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 13 May 2015 13:38

I tried to install Adblock Plus a few days ago but it wouldn't install. I intend to try again this evening. Thanks for replying. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 13 May 2015 16:22

Wasted another hour this afternoon trying to install adblock plus. Keeps telling me to switch IE off. Doesn't tell me how to do it.. .. Signed .. Baffled of Nottingham.
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 13 May 2015 17:12

Hiya Fred,

What browser are using? If you are using Chrome or Firefox you can go to their 'extension' pages and get the appropriate browser pop-up blocker - there will be a wide choice so choose one that has the most downloads as this will give you an idea of it's popularity and effectiveness.

Chrome ... https://chrome.google.com/webstore/cate ... s?hl=en-US

Firefox ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Alternatively, you could make sure that you are running the latest Microsoft Security Essentials - or both it will not do any harm.

You can get MSE from this page ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

Let me know how you get on Fred :wink:

All the best,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby dragon » 13 May 2015 19:12

Mike. Downloaded 'essentials.' No difference. Still can't install 'Adblockplus.' Can't work out what to do with the other 2 downloads you suggested. Would Skypeing help? .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 13 May 2015 19:59

Hi Fred,

Okay, before I can help I need to know what browser you are using ... let me know and we can go forward from there :wink:

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby dragon » 13 May 2015 22:08

Mike. I use Google as my web ferret( browser)

My son has called in and doesn't think much is wrong as on e.bay I get e.bay related pop ups and on the Whathifi site I get AV products advertised. This is new. Only been happening recently. Still cannot install adbloc. It gets to the end and only then gives me just the option to 'Remove'. Seems very strange. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Re: The Happy Farmer

Postby papadeedee » 14 May 2015 10:14

Hi Fred,
If you haven't sorted out your computer problem with pop ups, you could try running malwarebytes and then try to install adblock plus.
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 14 May 2015 10:45

Hiya Fred,

If you are adding it from the google extension page there is no installation needed - it will add this little logo to the top right hand corner of your browser.

To monitor what it's doing for you just click on the logo and it will give you a report on items blocked and you can also configure it from there.

To remove it from chrome, or manage your extensions, just right click on the logo.

Regards,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby dragon » 14 May 2015 14:33

Brian. Malwarebytes removed 246 objects. Adblocplus still will not install. Gets right to the end the only offers 'Remove.' .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 14 May 2015 14:43

On Brians suggestion I installed 'Malwarebytes which found and removed ( allegedly ) 246 objects. When I try to install adblockplus it gets right to the end then only offers 'Remove.'

I can't find anything like the indicators you show in your screenshot.

Currently running a full scan with Adaware.

Absolute nightmare this morning with popups while trying to navigate round the E-on website. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 14 May 2015 15:38

Hiya Fred,

Firstly, confirm that you are using Google Chrome as your browser (web-ferret as you call it) :wink:

To do that, go to the 3 horizontal line logo (see picture in my previous post) and hover over it and it should say 'Customize and control Google Chrome'

When you have done that go here - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cddilifddb

Once the page has opened simply click on the big blue button marked 'add to chrome' and that's it job is done.

I would try to resist the temptation to download and install a selection of this type of software as they do tend to cause conflict with anti-virus programs and very often, with each other ... frankly the more you have the slower your browser becomes.

To get your PC back on an even keel again I would suggest that you go to here - http://eset.co.uk/Home/NOD32-Antivirus
and click on the green button and get a fully working 30 day trial of NOD32 - I have been using this AV software for the best part of 10 years and it is simply the best there is out there, Norton, McAfee and all those free ones just pale into insignificance ... well worth the 30 odd quid a year - with a fully licensed product they have a support team that are at the end of a free phone number here in the UK.

Get back to me if you have any further problems :wink:

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby papadeedee » 14 May 2015 15:38

Hi Fred,
1 In Google Chrome, go to the top right hand corner and click on the three bars (directly below the x)
2 scroll down and click on settings
3 On the top left, below the word Chrome, click on extensions. if you have adblock installed, you just click in the box to enable it.

Firefox
1 Click on the three bars on top right
2 click on add ons,
3 To the left of FIRST TIME WITH ADD-ONS, click extensions, hopefully you will see how to enable Adblock plus and adblock plus pop ups, If you can't, click on get add ons and if it is not there, on the bottom right of the page click on browse all add-ons
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 14 May 2015 17:17

Hi Fred and Mike,
I posted on The performance page because I thought you would have a better chance of seeing it there but I see Mike has been helping you out.
Here is what I posted, I think that is all that is required but not certain.

Hi Fred,
1 In Google Chrome, go to the top right hand corner and click on the three bars (directly below the x)
2 scroll down and click on settings
3 On the top left, below the word Chrome, click on extensions. if you have adblock installed, you just click in the box to enable it.

Firefox
1 Click on the three bars on top right
2 click on add ons,
3 To the left of FIRST TIME WITH ADD-ONS, click extensions, hopefully you will see how to enable Adblock plus and adblock plus pop ups, If you can't, click on get add ons and if it is not there, on the bottom right of the page click on browse all add-ons
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 14 May 2015 17:37

Brian. Thank you for all your help. I think your details have finally cracked it. I downloaded the app via Chrome. I think everything is now running smoothly.

Mike . Thank you also for helping. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 14 May 2015 18:05

That's great Fred,
I wouldn't presume to contradict Mike's advice as I know he is very knowledgeable in these matters and I know what he is saying about antivirus programmes etc but malwarebytes is a cut above most of the rest and has fixed my pc where others have failed and just as an adjunct, just last week the computer expert on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 recommended this programme. I have it installed but not permanently running. From time to time I just run it let it clear out anything malicious.
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter