Improvisation. I wish I could improvise like this guy!

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Improvisation. I wish I could improvise like this guy!

Postby barwonfan » 11 Jan 2022 01:58

One day I hope to be able to improvise. This clip is David Reed playing. I will never reach his standard. Perhaps it is possible to learn how to do it. Or, do you have to be born with the ability? I think Beethoven, or was it Mozart played about 6 variations on "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Improvisation. I wish I could improvise like this guy!.

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 11 Jan 2022 07:29

Hi

It is possible to learn how to improvise, indeed, it's part of the "stock in trade" of many classical organists, mainly in Europe.

I've attended a couple of classes on improvisation arranged by local Organists' Associations, and I sometimes will try something simple at church, but I probably don't have the imagination or the knowledge of harmony to emulate the real experts (and frankly, some of the "advanced" improvisations I've heard are not really to my taste). There are a couple of very basic examples on my You Tube channel - you'll need to scroll down to find them. Note: I'm not holding these up as examples of how to improvise - just showing that it can be done.

There's no harm in trying yourself - pick a simple theme and just see where it takes you. Don't worry too much about the rules, and if there's no-one else around for your early efforts, so much the better! What little I do tends to be based on hymn tunes or worship songs that I know well. I've tried starting with a theme that I've made up, but usually after a few minutes I've forgotten it and things degenerate into musical waffle!

Give it a try. You may enjoy it.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Re: Improvisation .I wish I could improvise like this guy.

Postby JohnT » 11 Jan 2022 08:41

Hi JT. I wish I could do just a little to make a piece more interesting. However my wife prefers to listen to me playing as it is written, providing I hit the correct notes. Another video worth watching of a similar theme is Rick Wakeman playing the radio 2 challenge of nursery rhymes by different composers. Had the pleasure of watching him live at the Durham Gala theatre doing this. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Re: Improvisation. I wish I could improvise like this guy!

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Jan 2022 10:43

This is the video that JohnT mentions ...

Take Rick Wakeman's Radio 2 Nursery Rhyme Challenge!

It is clear to me that there is no way you can 'improvise' unless you are already an accomplished musician and have had years of training. OK .. so you want to improvise. What notes would you use when improvising? You have to have an understanding of 'harmony' and know which notes will sound right with what you are playing .. ie. you cannot just play any notes. Notes that clash with the harmony can only be played as 'passing notes'. You have to be able to play scales without even thinking about it, as these are the notes that would form your improvisation.

So all in all, as a 'player' you must not be at a stage of struggling to read notes from the written music, and struggling to 'keep in time' with the beat. So I would suggest that anyone wanting to improvise starts by playing a piece accurately out of the top of their head. When they can do that they can start thinking about improvising. After all, the notes in your improvisation are not written on the sheet music for you to play. They have to come from your feeling for the music.

So I agree with JohnT's wife. I would prefer to hear a piece played as I am expecting to hear it .. ie. to hear the melody as it was written. If you muck around with the melody too much the original song almost becomes unrecognisable.

We do have Members who 'improvise' with what they play, like JonD. He won't be playing what we hear off some music score. His playing all comes from many years of experience.

Here is an improvised piece that I love to listen to. It is played by Derek Miles on a Genos keyboard.

"When the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls"

Do a right-click to open this up in a NewTab
https://app.box.com/s/jo1fyzpwk7gpev4si6ssjdrplnudt1zk

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 13 Jan 2022 10:52

Improvisation need not be as frightening as it sounds. The advice already given is sound, but don't get too worried about talk of harmony notes, passing notes etc. Important, yes, but you can let yourself into the world of improvisation easily.

It's an important part of playing, IMHO, and it can form part of graded keyboard exams. London College of Music have the Chord Sequence Test as one of the options and it's something that most, if not all, of my students cover. In that test, you're given an 8 bar sequence of chords - 1 per bar at the early grades, with the chords becoming more complex and more frequent as you progress upwards. The time signature and tempo must be obeyed but it's up to the student to choose a suitable style. I usually get them to set up a simple 8 Beat or Swing for 4/4, a very simple Waltz for 3/4, and a gentle slow rock for 6/8. These are set into memory presets at the correct tempo for the grade, as they won't know what they'll get asked to play in advance. In the exam, they can play through the chord sequence once and then, without pausing, do so again, adding an ad-lib right hand melody.

So how do they prepare? I give them the attached sheet to work through.

If the document does not show, refresh the page.
Or download the PDF from the attachment below.

It's all explained in the sheet, so no need to repeat it here. This is intended as an introduction, and the chords at Grade 1 would be no more complex than C,F,G and G7. But once they've got the hang of working through the instructions, they can apply the principles to more chords.

One thing I do insist on when they start improvising is that they must be able to play the tune perfectly first. And they must always play one verse/chorus 'straight' before improvisation starts!

Changing the chords - reharmonisation - is a different matter altogether, and requires a deeper knowledge of harmony, a good ear, and the ability to judge when you've gone too far! And if you reharmonise and improvise at the same time, you risk losing the original tune completely. That may be what you want, of course!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby andyg » 13 Jan 2022 20:07

Once you've got the idea of how to improvise over the basic sequences, transfer that skill over to the chord sequence in the part of the tune in which you want to improvise. Get the chords onto 'autopilot', you don't want to be thinking too much about them or looking down at them while you're trying to improvise over the top.

And remember, improvisations should sound as if they are ad-lib, even if they are actually rehearsed well in advance. Try to make it sound spontaneous. You can do this by having an outline of what you're going to do already worked out, but then making alterations as you go. If you play a wrong note, don't worry, just keep going!

There's a story of a musician sitting at a bar, looking down very sadly into his half empty glass of whisky. His friend comes up and asks, "What's wrong? You look really down." "I played some wrong notes in the ad libs tonight", came the reply. "Your ad libs are technically wrong notes!" "Ah, but tonight I played the wrong wrong notes!" It happens to us all! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby barwonfan » 13 Jan 2022 22:18

Thanks, everyone for your replies to my question. I think that it is wonderful the way many members of this forum spend lots of time writing comprehensive replies . It has just occurred to me that by playing an ending on a song , which I am recording, on the fly, instead of hitting Ending #1 #2 or #3 is a form of Improvisation.
Actually, I think that I might raise this in another post, which I will call "Endings"
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 13 Jan 2022 23:42

Hello Andy, Thanks for your post. There is no way that I can "Improvise" - well I must rephrase that. I play too many wrong notes as it is. Recently I posted "All my wrong notes in the wrong order!" The melody came out fine. :D
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter