What is your broadband speed?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

What is your broadband speed?

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 May 2022 21:53

People ask, "Is Wi-Fi and broadband the same thing?".

No! Wi-Fi is a wireless technology that 'carries' the broadband round your house. The two terms Wi-Fi and broadband are often used interchangeably. This confusion mostly arises because we associate connecting to a Wi-Fi network with gaining access to broadband internet.

If your wi-fi isn't getting round your house then you won't get any broadband because there is no wi-fi to carry it. BT have guaranteed strong wi-fi in every room of our house. That is what we have, and it is constant. That is not the same as having a fast broadband round our house.

Our broadband comes from the BT exchange in Weston down 'optical' cables to green junction boxes dotted about. Our green junction box is at least half a mile from us, so from that point it comes down a copper telephone wire. Losses down optical connections are just about zero, whereas copper wires? Not good! So by the time it gets to us it has dropped off quite a bit.

The other thing that affects the amount of broadband you get is whether other people are using it from the same source. In our area, our broadband signal drops right down when people come in from work, and when too many people are using it we get 'buffering' .. arrows that go round and round while your device is trying to pick up the signal. Once or twice I have had the message 'No internet connection' showing on my device. This does not mean the wi-fi. It means that the broadband coming down the line is not even registering. When everyone has gone to bed our broadband is fine.

I use an on-line speed checker.

If you want to, do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

When I get there I see this:

Clicking on START SPEED TEST it ends up with this:

The Ping is how long it takes from clicking on something to it being picked up on the website (milliseconds).
Note that broadband Download speed is always very much greater than Upload speed.
Download is the important one as that refers to things you are watching/listening to.

So my download speed is 30.24Mb/s (Megabytes per second).
Yesterday at this time it was 35.78Mb/s. At this moment my wife is watching sport on her iPad so is using the broadband too. Hence the drop.

This last week we have been staying with our son and daughter-in-law at Kewstoke, about 5 miles out of Weston. They have a caravan site for tourers (up to 12 pitches). Their wi-fi is used by the campers as well as themselves, and their broadband comes down a telephone wire about 3 miles long. They always have a terrible time trying to connect to things via their broadband, so I checked their speed. During the day it was about 6Mb/s; and went up to 8Mb/s late in the evening. But at about 5:30pm their speed was 0.06Mb/s. Yes, 0.06Mb/s. Only just enough to receive an email and look at the forum. No way of listening to music or logging in to a bank account.

I have spoken to Torben, who lives in Copenhagen, and he says his speed is 500Mb/s. I don't know anywhere in UK where you can get those sorts of speeds.

Now .. can you please click the POSTREPLY button and let us know what speed you are getting for your broadband?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: What is your broadband speed?

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 May 2022 22:07

I have done a Google Search asking:
What is the max internet speed in the UK?
Answer:
Within the UK, broadband speeds currently range very widely from 8Mbps to over 1Gbps (1000Mbps), although the higher speeds aren't available everywhere — or with every provider — just yet.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 22 May 2022 08:58

Hi Hugh,

I have a download of around 21mb and upload of about 4mp we are with sky Fiber to Cabinet and the nearest cabinet is 2600 meters away the top speed on the plan we are on is 36mb so we lose a fair bit owing to the cabinet being so far away as from the cabinet to us is copper wire.

They are just in the process of installing fiber to home in the village and those who have opted for it can if they pay the price get 300mbs download speed personally I would not have a use for the high speed as there is only two of us in the house but there can be upto 6 devices at anyone given time? surprising but true

Typical of this country the new fiber installation in the village is thanks to the government Gigabit scheme where if enough people show interest the government will fund installation

So we have just had a month of cherry pickers blocking roads and roads been dug up for the new fiber, so now its finished along comes BT and they are starting to install there fiber system, but each different contracter can not use each others ducts to feed cables through ? so more roads dug up again and more cherry pickers

All the Best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 22 May 2022 10:23

My Download speed is 52 Mbps and the upload speed is 18.6 Mbps. I am cable direct.

Den.

Link to companies offering high speed BB.
https://www.canstarblue.com.au/internet/fastest-internet-plans-australia/
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 22 May 2022 15:18

I have a blistering 1.5 Mbps. Wow! Open reach did lay fibre cable past my house last month. They are only doing this prior to removing my overhead copper telephone cable. But that is now on hold as there have been concerns raised about folk not having any telephone for emergency use when the old lines go. There have to be some who do not have internet or mobile phones.

Regards

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 May 2022 18:08

Ron,

Did you mean 1,500Mbps? That would be blistering!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 24 Aug 2022 13:02

I wish ! NO, it is 1.5mbps download. Carrier pigeon might be faster

Ron

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Brian007 » 25 Aug 2022 07:56

Hi ALL,

Just had FTTP ( fibre straight to the house ) now have a maximum download speed of 145mbps and upload 27.00 mbps
average throughout the day is 100mbps as it does slow down at peak times but never less than 100 mbps

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Aug 2022 08:33

Wow! You won't have any problems playing computer games then!
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 25 Aug 2022 11:40

Hi Hugh,

To be honest apart from downloading stuff there is not a lot of noticeable difference if your just surfing the internet, but its surprising just how many devices we have logged into our wifi
at least 6 and it does mean that if I am downloading something and the wife has netflix`s on there is no noticeable drop in speed,

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 29 Nov 2022 13:25

I have now progressed to full fibre into my house. Right now download was 168 Mbps and upload 55 Mbps. What a difference after years of 1.4 Mbps download.

Ron

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Penquin » 11 Dec 2022 13:48

We get 21mbps at present but for years it was ~15. The increase in speed, in my option, is because ‘Virgin Media’ have just installed FTTP in the area and a lot of people have left BT (who have no plans at the moment for fibre) and transferred to Virgin. We intended changing but when I enquired from ‘Plusnet’ (ie BT) they wanted a £150 termination fee. After the turn of the year I am going to change over and Virgin guarantee speeds between 100<200mbps for not much more per month than ‘Plusnet’.
Penquin
Novice Poster

Postby kens » 15 Dec 2022 13:18

Hi! Hugh. Just did a check and mine read 51.78 download and 15.12 upload. Not bad?? Ken S.
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter