Are bi-focals any good for music reading?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Are bi-focals any good for music reading?

Postby Michael R » 05 Jan 2013 21:24

I took delivery of my brand new CVP609 Clavinova today, which as some of you know, I traded in my Tyros 4 and CLP Clavoniva in for. I wear glasses for reading and computer work and also for keyboard playing. When I had the Tyros, I had the same problem that many others have with the music stand being too far away. I got some brackets that bring the music stand forward and over the screen and also had glasses made specifically for keyboard playing and the problem was resolved.

I sat down this afternoon at my new Clavinova and I must say I'm delighted with it and am sure I made the right decision in swapping my Tyros 4. However, when I tried to play from some music, I was horrified to discover I couldn't see it!! It is about 6-8" too far away. I could try to have another pair of glasses made to be able to read at this distance, but I'm not sure I'd be able to see the keys and controls properly. I've never tried bi-focals but think I've read somewhere that they are not suitable for keyboard playing. Can anyone advise me about this please? The only other way is trying to wedge a cusion or something between the music rest and stand the music on the edge of the piano lid but it's not a very good way!

I really would appreciate any ideas/advice anyone can give me on this matter.

Thanks

Michael
Michael R

Re: Are bi-focals any good for music reading?

Postby Mike Bracchi » 05 Jan 2013 21:37

Hello Michael,

Oddly enough I had a similar problem last year, I need two pairs of glasses one for reading and one for driving and the music rack was at a distance that both pairs were pretty useless.

So I did the same; measured the distance to the music rack and keyboard control panel and asked the optician to make me a new pair for playing ... after a quick eye test he made up a prescription that worked well .... now I have three pairs of glasses :lol: :lol:

So I think it is your only real option Michael - go for another pair specifically for playing the keyboard.

Looking forward to hearing you playing your new CVP609 soon :wink:
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Michael R » 05 Jan 2013 22:16

Hi Mike. Thanks for your reply. I don't think I made it clear but I already do have 3 pairs of glasses, One for reading, one for the keyboard and I also use my old keyboard glasses, which are weaker than the ones I use now, for the computer. I remember trying all sorts of ways of altering the music rest etc on thr Tyros and the only thing that solved it was the glasses. So I think your're right, the only sucessfull option is distance specific glasses so I'm going to end up with 4 pairs!! One for reading, one for organ, one for computer and one for Clavinova!! I wonder if Yamaha have shares in Specsavers?!! Surely they must realise most people can't see the music with the music rests being so far back!

Thanks again
Michael
Michael R

Postby Eileen » 05 Jan 2013 22:42

Hi Michael
I did just as Mike did, measured a piece of string and took it to my optitions. Work just fine and also great for my computer to.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Wally Gator » 05 Jan 2013 22:52

I have been wearing bifocals for years and they work great for reading. I don't play from sheet music but I do occasionally have my manual or notes on the keyboard music stand. I can read finer print than most sheet music without any problem. With bifocals the lower half of the glasses is for near sight and the upper is for far sight. I didn't realize what I was missing out on until I got them. I have the ones without lines which makes them look better. No pun intended. They are easy to get use to and I wouldn't leave home without them. If you do get them wear them all the time and be careful on steps and stairs.
Wally Gator
Super Poster

Postby Westgarth » 05 Jan 2013 23:32

Hi Michael

Before you lay out any money at the opticians, try this. Pop into your local pound shop and test a pair at a suitable distance. Then buy an extra pair, the next strength up. You'll see if this solves your problem for a couple of quid! :roll:
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Wally Gator » 06 Jan 2013 04:16

I hope your eyes are worth more than a couple of quid. I personally wouldn't mess around with my eyes by using some non-prescription glasses from a drug store. Not being able to see properly could be the beginnings or symptom of something serious. I know lots of people do what you're suggesting by getting some cheap reading glasses and think that's all they need. Your eyes are part of your body and should be checked by a professional periodically. And as you get older it should be at least once a year. Well that's my two pence. 8) < Don't go blind.
Wally Gator
Super Poster

Postby Abacus » 06 Jan 2013 15:50

Reading glasses from your local pharmacy are fine for reading including music, but should NOT be used for anything else (Particularly if you require prescription glasses).

Bifocals are OK, but many users find they cannot get used to the 2 different images, fortunately varifocals are now available which give a better graduation between close and far and work ideal on keyboards. (I have been wearing varifocals full time for years and I have yet to come across any keyboard/organ that has needed to be modified to read music on the provided stand, no matter what the distance)

Hope this helps

Bill
Abacus

Postby Ron » 06 Jan 2013 15:57

You always go down the route I've taken. All my music is on Gigbook, an iPad app, and the iPad is on a custom stand. The boom can be made to come as close as you need it to be. Change music by swiping with your finger or buy a blue tooth page turner. Only mod to the Tyoros was the removal of the music stand.
Normal glasses can then be used comfortably and in fact my glasses are often parked on top of my head when playing.

Regards,

Ron
Ron

Postby Ron » 06 Jan 2013 16:11

For anyone interested I was going to post a photo of my current setup showing the iPad holder, but I cannot see how to attach any images. Help Mike?

Regards,

Ron
Ron

Postby Eileen » 06 Jan 2013 17:17

Hi Michael
Hope you are not getting to confused but Varifocals are the ones to go for if you don't want a seperate pair for just playing.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Ron » 06 Jan 2013 19:58

Here is a link to a photo of my present setup of twin keyboards plus Ipad holder.

May be of use to the visually impaired players and their problems with spectacles? :D

Regards,

Ron
Ron

Postby Wally Gator » 06 Jan 2013 20:44

Abacus wrote:Reading glasses from your local pharmacy are fine for reading including music, but should NOT be used for anything else (Particularly if you require prescription glasses).

Bifocals are OK, but many users find they cannot get used to the 2 different images, fortunately varifocals are now available which give a better graduation between close and far and work ideal on keyboards. (I have been wearing varifocals full time for years and I have yet to come across any keyboard/organ that has needed to be modified to read music on the provided stand, no matter what the distance)

Hope this helps

Bill

I had never heard of these before. Will check them out next time I need glasses. Thanks Bill. Here's a link I found that explains them pretty well. http://www.theeyeacademy.com/glasses-lens-vari.html And this article is also good. http://www.squidoo.com/prescription-glasses-online
Wally Gator
Super Poster

Postby Michael R » 07 Jan 2013 21:53

Thanks everyone. I've got an appointment booked at the opticians on Thursday. Will let you know how I get on.

Michael
Michael R

Postby Michael R » 10 Jan 2013 21:06

Hi. Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in this topic and given me advice/opinions etc. I went to see the optician today and explained the situation. I took some sheet music, a tape measure and measurements that my wife had done from the tip of my nose to the sheet music, both on the Clavinova and my Nord organ. After a very thorough examination and discussion, the optician thought that varifocals would NOT be the best solution. Most people who have mentioned them on here use them for distance, middle distance (keyboard) and reading. My requirement would be for reading and two different middle distances ( 23" keyboard and 32"Clavinova) and the optician thought that varifocals, although possible, would not be the best solution but rather another pair just for the Clavinova. This means me having three different pairs but if this way gives me the best sight possible in each situation, then I suppose I need to go with it. To be fair to the optician, she could have advised varifocals, which would have cost about three times as much as the pair I've ordered for the Clavinova, but gave me what she honestly thought would be the best solution.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Michael
Michael R

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter