Live from Blackpool tower 14/6/2015

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Live from Blackpool tower 14/6/2015

Postby papadeedee » 15 Jun 2015 16:35

Had afternoon tea in Tower Ballroom

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Live from Blackpool tower 14/6/2015

Postby VAL7JEAN » 19 Jun 2015 11:00

a few questions if I may ...
Who was the organist at the WurliTzer?
His playing was seemless as he moved for one number to the next - delightful arpeggios, no doubt using second touch for the melody.
Who was the organist at the Roland? The Roland sounded good
Could you please name the tunes especially for the Quickstep?
What dances are currently in vogue at the Tower ballroom this year.
Was this an afternoon tea dance?
Thanks
Shame about the 'glasses'.
VAL7JEAN

Re: Live from Blackpool tower 14/6/2015

Postby papadeedee » 19 Jun 2015 12:51

Hello Val7Jean,

The Organist on the Wurlitzer : David Lobban, 2014 is David’s 19th season at The Blackpool Tower Ballroom, 37th year as a professional musician and 51st year associated with the entertainment/hospitality/keyboard industries.

The organist on the Roland : Chris Hopkins started playing the organ at The Blackpool Tower in 1995, since then he has developed his own unique style and has become a firm favourite with the dancers.
Over the years The Blackpool Tower Ballroom has had numerous electronic organs to compliment the Wurlitzer organ, more recently the Wersi Louvre, and the present model the Roland AT900, Chris has always been the first to embrace these vast technological instrument’s and manipulate there potential. Chris is equally at home on the Mighty Wurlitzer.

I don't know about evening events, dances etc. I booked the afternoon tea which is available every day unless the ballroom is booked for a special event. It cost about £35 for two if you book ahead but if you pay at the door it is £20 per person. If you book in advance and turn up on the day and the hall is being used for something else, there is no refund, I think the ticket becomes valid for up to ninety days. Not much use if you are only there for a weekend. I think you can pay to get into the ballroom without having afternoon tea.

I'll do my best on the tunes
Wurlitzer- Qickstep medley 1, Let's face the music and Dance 2, ? 3, ? 4, Dancing Cheek to Cheek 5, ?
Roland - Sequence 1, Something is Happening 2, ? 3, L-O-V-E 4, ? 5, Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love
Waltz - 1, ? 2,Piano Man 3, Strauss waltz, I think, I don't know the title 4,?

I have more video from the day, I will post it soon.

Regards,
Brian D
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter