Are there alternatives to Box for storing our music?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Are there alternatives to Box for storing our music?

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Mar 2018 20:35

I usually put my MP3 files into Box, with a LINK for others to be able to listen to them. Every Forum I have come across uses Box for their music and they must now have thousands of 'users' .. all using it 'for FREE'. Box give you 10Gb of Free storage space .. about 2,500 songs (MP3 songs are about 3-4Mb each). When you look at their Home Page, it says:
Your hard drive in the cloud
Ditch email attachments. With 10 GB of free storage, you can store all your files in the cloud and easily share them with others with a simple link via email or straight from Box. Never lose files. A stolen laptop or mobile doesn't mean lost files too. Store your irreplaceable family photos, sensitive financial information or projects safely in Box. Work and plan together. With Box, you can co-edit in Microsoft Word, create budgets in Excel or use Box Notes to create schedules, plans and more.

No mention of using their platform for everyone to listen to music. Running a website like this is not free for them (any more than it is for us to have our own Forum) and they must have some objectives in mind, even if it's only to cover the cost of their operation. I can see that they have a 'business' section that is 'paid for', and maybe that is enough for them. But the thought has occurred to me that if Box go the way of Photobucket and decide they are going to charge for hosting our music, what other alternatives are there? Mike has covered some of these in Forum How To ..., How To Upload Music To A Cloud Host & Post On Forum:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=673

4Shared give you 15Gb of FREE storage space, or approximately 3,750 songs. I have never used 4Shared so I have now set up an account, uploaded one of my songs (Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue) and the LINK to this track is below. Please let me know if it doesn't work!

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/G8nDASRmca/ ... t_Two.html

SoundCloud do things slightly differently. Each SoundCloud plan has its own upload allowance. For a Free user, you can upload a total of 180 minutes (3 hours). A Pro user can upload a total of 360 minutes (6 hours) and a Pro Unlimited user has no upload limit at all. It was in the news recently (2017) that Soundcloud had to request an injection of capital:
After laying off 40% of its staff and securing $169 million in emergency funding, SoundCloud’s first product push is a much needed step in the right direction. It’s filling its home page with personalized playlists and best of collections from top genres rather than other content like it’s feed.

I have several of my tunes on SoundCloud. Here is one of them (She). Again, I have looked for the SHARE Link, 'copied' it and pasted it below.

https://soundcloud.com/user-974657917/she

Let me know if this doesn't work.

I have also discovered that I have FREE storage with Google Drive.
Google gives you 15GB of free space in Google Drive, which seems like a pretty good deal compared to Dropbox's 2GB and Box's 10GB. But there's a catch -- that 15GB limit includes not only your Google Drive, but also your Gmail account (messages and attachments) and Google+ Photos.

I don't use a gmail account (although I have one set up on my Mobile), and I don't store photos on there. So I have uploaded an MP3 (Baby Love) to my Google Drive account and clicked on the SHARE Link, which is below. Again, please let me know it it doesn't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6FF-7 ... sp=sharing

And then, of course, we've always got YouTube, so long as you can upload it as a Video and not just as an MP3 track. Here is one of mine, Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9OfTbS7b8

An explanation on how to make a Video from an MP3 is here;

viewtopic.php?f=343&t=5446#p36550

Looks as though we shall be OK for a bit then.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Are there alternatives to Box for storing our music?

Postby JohnT » 23 Mar 2018 20:53

Hi Hugh Just had to click on all three links and they worked did not have to right click. Sounded good but on full volume when I played them Ear drums damaged. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter