Charlie Chaplin and Terry's Theme from Limelight.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Charlie Chaplin and Terry's Theme from Limelight.

Postby barwonfan » 15 Apr 2021 11:26

Help needed. I have had the score for about 30 +years and often sang " I'll be loving you, always with a love that's true eternally" as I played. Today, I suddenly thought that sounds like Irving Berlin's Song "Always" So I looked in Google, and it sounds the same. So they can't both have written it. I can't figure it out. Incidently,I had a crush on Claire Bloom when I was in my late teens. J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Charlie Chaplin and Terry's Theme from Limelight.

Postby kens » 15 Apr 2021 13:31

Hi!
One is "I will Always" and the other "I will love you in every little kind of way."
hope that helps Ken S
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 17 Apr 2021 23:50

Thanks Ken. I'll still trying to find out a bit more about this lovely tune, and who wrote the melody, but seem to be getting nowhere. Perhaps it is OK to put different words to a melody and not have to include the name of the musician who composed the tune. And, where does copyright come in? I can understand how advertisers don't have any worries if they use a piece of music which is now out in the public domain .J.T.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Apr 2021 20:38

Hi JT,

Listening to these two songs, yes, some of the melody is similar, but they pretty quickly diverge into something different. I must admit, when listening to one of these I don't immediately start singing the other. They really aren't the same song.

This is Terry's Theme from Limelight:

As to who composed the music "Terry's theme from Limelight" .. it was composed by Chaplin himself (Charlie Chaplin played a 'straight' role in this film).

From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia:
The instrumental theme to the film, composed by Chaplin and titled "The Terry Theme", became a popular and often-covered song as "Eternally",

And this is Irving Berlin's song, Always.

From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia:
Always (Irving Berlin song)

"Always" is a popular song written by Irving Berlin in 1925, as a wedding gift for his wife Ellin Mackay, whom he married in 1926, and to whom he presented the substantial royalties.

The song is an important plot element in Noel Coward's play Blithe Spirit.

I'll be loving you, Always ..
With a love that's true, Always ..

JT .. I bet you're the first person to have picked up the similarity between these two songs!

I have always thought that this one by Demis Roussos is very similar to Terry's Theme from Limelight.

Demis Roussos - Forever and Ever

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 18 Apr 2021 23:23

Thank you Hugh. You have answered my question comprehensively. I will listen to both those you tube clips when I get home to night. I look forward to doing that. Thanks again. J.T.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter