Mainly Early English Organ Music

Any recordings you have done that could be described as Classical, please post in here.
Includes pieces one would only loosely call 'Classical' as they depart somewhat from what the composer intended.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Mainly Early English Organ Music

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 30 Jun 2021 08:15

Hi

Last Saturday (27/06/21) the Coventry & Warwickshire Organists' Association visited a newly built pipe organ (first "in person" meeting since Feb 2020!). I recorded these items there (St. Martin, Barcheston. Organ by Henry Groves of Nottingham)

First up is an Allegro by William Herschel - probably better known as a pioneer astronomer. This one is in F major.

Once everyone else who wanted to play had done so, there was some time left, so I played 2 more unrehearsed pieces. First was another Allegro by Herschel, this one in G major.

I followed this with an improvisation on the worship song "Be Still for the Presence of the Lord"

On Sunday I recorded a couple of items at church, first up is more Early English Organ music - this time by John Reading, a voluntary in C major. This takes the typical form of the Eanglish organ voluntary of the day, with a slow opening movement followed by a faster movement, often using a solo stop. I played the slow movement before the service, and concluded with the 2nd movement at the end.

Also at church, I recorded this organ version of a Graham Kendrick worship song

Enjoy

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Re: Mainly Early English Organ Music

Postby Carloss » 30 Jun 2021 11:35

Wow! A brand-new sound, the cute part of this organ is within reach of the hands and feet. The intrinsic part is hidden in the large wooden column. It would take a cross-section to see the whole mechanism in operation, or else that the crate was made of a transparent material, acrylic, perhaps. I just don't know if the wood, from which it is made, interferes with the sound quality. Nice songs, Soften my heart is a must to listen
Thank you Rev Tony
Carloss
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Instruments: Vertical Piano and a Digital p125 Yamaha Keyboard.
Carloss
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 30 Jun 2021 12:57

Hi Tony. That was some instrument. Enjoyed my listen and watching your fingering. Keep safe and well. All the best. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 01 Jul 2021 08:23

Thanks for the comments.

Carloss, there's a couple of pictures of the organ towards the end of construction back in 2019 on the NPOR web site, for example https://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/XMLFunctions.cgi?Fn=GetPicture&Rec_index=E02110&Number=1

The details of the organ can be found on NPOR (http://www.npor.org.uk) by entering E02110 in the relevant search box (or "Barcheston" in the address search). I'll be updating the NPOR information shortly. The mechanism (electric in this case) is in the bottom of the cases, along with the blowers & wind reservoirs, above them come the soundboards on which the pipes are mounted. Very different method of sound production to the electronic instruments we're probably more familiar with.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Carloss » 02 Jul 2021 21:11

NPOR a powerful website. An incredible amount of data illuminating the history of the organs. Thanks
Carloss
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Instruments: Vertical Piano and a Digital p125 Yamaha Keyboard.
Carloss
Super Poster

Return to Classical Corner