What do these messages mean on my Yamaha Surround Sound Pla

Virtual Voices, Music & Music Apps

What do these messages mean on my Yamaha Surround Sound Pla

Postby barwonfan » 31 Mar 2022 10:05

When I try to play a DVD and I just want to hear the music and not look at the picture the word "Straight" comes up and when I press another button the word "Root"comes up. I have never come across these two words before , and that is strange because I have used CD's for years. Thanks J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: What do these messages mean on my Yamaha Surround Sound

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 01 Apr 2022 06:39

Hi

Looks like 2 different issues. "Straight" is a setting on the receiver that bypasses the tone controls & so on. It's intended to give an accurate playback of whatever is coming into the machine from the source (DVD, CD, Radio or whatever) There will either be a button or a menu item to turn it off if you don't want.

"Root" is probably the basic disc menu on DVD's - there should be a list of options that comes up which you can select with the up/down buttons on the remote (there's probably also a way of doing it from the machine's front panel).

The owner's manual should give you the relevant information - they are usually downloadable from the web if you don't have a copy (or, as is becoming all too common, the manufacturer only supplies the basic information in printed form).

As a last resort, there may be a way of resetting the machine to its defaults (look for "factory reset" or something similar). Then follow the set-up instructions.

Good luck.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Re: What do these messages mean on my Yamaha Surround Sound

Postby barwonfan » 01 Apr 2022 08:12

Thank you Tony. I think that that information will help me enormously. J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Return to Creating music with programming