Moon river

Any 'Performances' with Vocals, please post here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Moon river

Postby torben » 11 Apr 2022 20:38

Hi

This branch is pretty dead. Maybe vocal performances should be abolished completely here?.

But I will give it a final shot. With the old golden and super romantic song from the movie
“Breakfast at Tiffanys”

https://app.box.com/s/0f2rso7x2svhj1727jvqfmc8svk9urs5

Is this the final nail in the coffin? :shock:

Torben
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 May; September (Joint Winner)
2023 July
torben
Active Poster

Re: Moon river

Postby JohnT » 13 Apr 2022 19:10

Hi Torben. A lovely sweet performance of this one. Easy on the ears,nice and relaxing. I think we should keep it going shame to miss these performances. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Apr 2022 12:14

Torben,

Moon River .. just beautiful! What I really like about how you and your singers 'gel' together is the way you do your accompaniments. Your accompaniments always complement the singer ie. you don't 'play the melody' at the same time your singer is 'singing the melody'. So while I am listening to the song being sung I am also listening to what you are doing to 'add' to the overall experience of the music. If the keyboard player is playing the melody as well as the singer (something you hear so often) you may as well dispense with the singer. So congratulations to the both of you!
torben wrote:This branch is pretty dead. Maybe vocal performances should be abolished completely here? But I will give it a final shot. With the old golden and super romantic song from the movie “Breakfast at Tiffanys”

Torben .. How dead is dead? Look at your previous uploads into this section.

God help the outcasts has had 379 views.
Not while I'm around has had 718 views.
The nearness of you has had 709 views.
Buona sera has had 720 views.
How deep is your love has had 622 views.
Part of your world (in Danish) has had 1,713 views.
Lambada - time to dance ... has had 2,359 views.

How dead is dead?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby torben » 14 Apr 2022 12:18

Hi Hugh

Well - maybe a lot of views but almost no feedback, good or bad. :shock:

And apparently at the moment I am the one and only person to upload new songs! :cry:

Thats why …

kind regards

Torben
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 July
torben
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Apr 2022 18:16

Hi Torben,

You are right that you are the only one who uploads into this section (almost the only one). I only know of one other active Member who sings. He has a Tyros 2 and accompanies himself. He sings out at functions but is not too good at making recordings.

The idea of having dedicated sections for different types of music is to make it easier to find the type of music you want to listen to.
The number of VIEWS you have had is what is important as these are the people who are wanting to listen to your singers. Only Members can make comments to posts and I doubt many of them would feel qualified to make comments on what you do.

So keep posting, please, so that those of us who enjoy listening to you and your singers can continue to do so.

Out of interest, is there any Forum you post your music to that gives you loads of feedback?

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby torben » 14 Apr 2022 21:35

Hi Hugh

Thanks for the encouragement.

Other forums? Well, the PSR performers sometimes give me a bunch of reviews. And I really like them because sometimes they give me some guidance. But you are right that people mostly just listen and leave …

Best greetings

Torben
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 July
torben
Active Poster

Postby dentyr » 20 Apr 2022 22:49

Hello Torben, I really enjoyed this piece. In fact I enjoy all the posts that you put up. I am not a singer by any means but I do enjoy your posts. Your accompaniment is great, keep going please. Kind regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Apr 2022 10:09

Torben,

When I started off in music (when at school) we had a 'Dance Band' with guitar. trumpet. saxophone. trombone. double bass .. and me on piano. We played foxtrots, quicksteps, waltzes .. and the pop music of the day. No singing! None of us could read music, but the guitarist wrote out all the chords for us so at least when we played anything we were all in harmony. This was in Nairobi, Kenya. The only adult involved was our Geography teacher, and he managed to get us contracts to play at a Hotel in Malindi (on the coast) in the school holidays. He knew nothing about music at all, and we reckoned he just liked the 'free' holidays with his girlfriend. We also played for square dancing at the local Girls' School, and the RAF Annual Ball.

What I am saying here is that although we didn't have a 'singer' we did have various instruments who played the melody (in turn). So eg. when the trumpet was playing the melody the rest of us would be creating a backing similar to the STYLES on our keyboards. I would be playing some rhythmic patterns, and every so often would do a backing with a 'repeating piano' (as I call it) or playing an arpeggio. What I am pointing out is that I was not playing the melody while the trumpeter was doing it.

Then every so often the band leader (the guitarist) would nod at me and off I would go playing the tune. This must be a similar approach to what you do when accompanying your singer. You provide the harmony and put in all those little phrases to complement the singer. I did notice in your Moon River that there was one point when you did step in and play the melody .. with strings. Love it when you do that, as it makes such a contrast in the overall music one is listening to.

Just a few thoughts on this from me .. for you to know why I enjoyed this piece of yours so much! It took me right back to those 'band' days.

Hugh

PS. I too am a Member of the PSR Tutorial Forum and have seen some of the comments you have had to your music. The PSR Tutorial Forum has 3,000 Members! We only have just over 100! Our Vocals section is open to the public at large to listen to (but only Members can make comments) so this is the reason why you will get many views, but few comments.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby torben » 25 Apr 2022 10:12

Thanks Hugh - I am very happy for your support!

Torben
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 July
torben
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Apr 2022 00:54

Torben,

To illustrate what I have been saying above, here is an example of a 'band' with various solo instruments as well as a singer. Note how they take it in turns to play the melody .. the Trumpet; the Clarinet; the Singer .. and even the pianist gets a turn. Only the 'lead' instrument plays the melody. All the other instruments blend in with rhythm and counter-melodies. This is what doing an 'accompaniment' to a song is all about.

On a Slow boat to China - Gunhild Carling Live

When the advert appears, click on the X in the top right hand corner of the rectangle to get rid of it.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Vocal Performances