Playing chords near middle C

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Playing chords near middle C

Postby barwonfan » 03 Nov 2021 23:40

I have been interested in reading the posts called "Why can't I read music" and I looked back through the posts and discovered that Papadeedee mentioned in his post (16 Sept 2017) that chords sound best when played around middle C. I suspect that he might be right, because I think that when I play some of the left hand chords way down on the left hand side of on my PSR 970 they sound very soft. I assume Papadeedee is referring to chords played with his left hand.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Playing chords near middle C

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Nov 2021 18:28

JT,

Papadeedee was indeed referring to chords played with his left hand .. but he wasn't referring to chords played with STYLES. Papadeedee didn't play a keyboard .. he played an organ .. and he didn't use STYLES. So what he was referring to was the sound you got from the actual notes he played. Play them too low and they sort of 'growl' and you cannot hear the harmony produced by the chord.

As far as keyboards are concerned, it makes no difference where you play your chord if you are just using STYLES. It only makes a difference when you allocate a LEFT HAND VOICE to the left of the split, because then you do hear the actual notes of the chord being played.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Playing chords near middle C

Postby barwonfan » 04 Nov 2021 23:16

Thanks, Hugh. I will check out split point settings. I had not thought of that being a factor. It seems the placement of split point settings can be critical when making or altering a style. I have recently stopped using quite a few styles which I had collected from the internet, which I think are mundane. But then, in fairness to the maker of the style, I should hasten to say that in the hands of another player they may be terrific.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat