Headphones

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Headphones

Postby lesh » 26 Dec 2020 14:24

My Headphones soundLAB (which I use quite a lot) are just about ready to go in the bin so, I started to do some research with the view of purchasing a new set. I prefer the type that fit over the ears but other than that no preference on make or colour as long as they are black. Ha Ha.

Lots of information out there on the Internet but wondered what type and make others are using?

Best regards
Les
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Re: Headphones

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Dec 2020 16:52

Les,

I have Sennheiser headphones (over the ear), specifically the HD 205, and find them excellent, sound quality wise. They are STEREO headphones, of course. I have two sets of these, and have three things I use them for ... my Tyros 4 keyboard; my AR 80 organ; and my laptop. So I have to unplug them from one device when using them on another. My Tyros 4 keyboard and my AR 80 organ both have the larger 6.35 mm (​1⁄4 inch) sockets; and my laptop has the smaller 3.5mm socket. So I have to adapt my headphones when using them in my laptop.

Now these Sennheiser phones come ready to plug into the larger 6.35mm socket.

But all is not as it seems, as the headphones have a brass adaptor which you can 'unscrew' to turn it into the 3.5mm smaller plug.

The adaptor being brass, and with a screw thread means the plug has a very 'solid' feel to it and I am quite happy when constantly changing from one type of plug to the other .. so long as I don't lose the 'screw' adaptor! A standard adaptor without the screw thread won't do the job. :(

I would also mention two other headphones I have which, when I bought them seemed a good idea at the time.

1. Some 'walkabout' stereo 'radio' headphones. I still have these, and use them a lot when listening to eg. CDs as I can listen to the music whilst doing the washing up; or I sit outside in the garden with them on. But they have a volume control attached so are no use when playing my keyboard as the last thing I want is for the recording levels to be wrong because I am judging my volumes from what I hear in the headphones.

2. I like to hear 'bass', so when I saw some headphones that had an 'enhanced' bass I thought that would be great. Again I can't use these when playing my keyboard as I would turn the bass down too far on the keyboard when trying to 'balance' the recording. But they are great for when listening to YouTube videos where the audio quality is very poor.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 27 Dec 2020 08:21

Hi Hugh,

Many thanks for all that information certainly gives me A few more areas to research, I have looked at a few makes lately but not the Sennheiser range so, will do some more research today.

Many thanks.

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 27 Dec 2020 09:34

Hi

I have a few pairs of headphones around the place - some I've bought and some my son passed on to me when he replaced them! My main pair are Sennheiser HD280 PRO. Not the cheapest (AROUND £70 iirc) but they sound good and block a lot of external sound (manufacturers claim around -30dB & I can well believe it. Most of my headphones are Sennheiser, and they are all pretty good - even a cheap folding pair I got for when I go away. Most of the Sennheisers are closed back, which reduces external sound, but can colour the sound a bit. I also have a couple of pairs of open back headphones. In general, open back phones sound less coloured & more natural than closed back versions, but of course, there is little or no isolation from external noises, and also quite a bit of what you are listening to leaks into the surroundings. The 'phones that have been called my halo on my recent classical organ recordings are open back jobs by Audio-Technica. The organ room is fairly quiet, and there's no-one to annoy!

Beware of headphones that claim to have extra bass - the sound is often bloated, bass-heavy, and far from accurate. I've used quite a number of different headphones over the years - but like everything else, to a large extent you get what you pay for. Pro audio suppliers are probably going to offer a better (and more accurate sounding) choice than your local supermarket. Personally, I'd go for Sennheiser or Audio-Technica, but no doubt other brands offer equally good units.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby lesh » 27 Dec 2020 19:44

Hi Tony,

I have started to look and research different models within the Sennheiser range and now you have recommended Audio-Technica as well I can also research and compare them , so thank you for sharing all this information.
I have read very good reports on the Sennheiser although some comments complain about the lack of vent holes in the ear pads causing sweat after only a short period of use? but most give excellent reviews.
Will make a decision over the next few days and purchase I’m sure.

Thanks again

Best regards

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Dec 2020 21:26

Another comment about the Sennheiser headphones I have. The have a soft foam 'surround' which not only makes the headphones comfortable to wear, but more importantly (I think) is that they let sound out.

If you had headphones that 'blocked out' extraneous noise then equally they wouldn't let sound 'out'. And this could be damaging to the ear. If I lived with a window overlooking a busy street I may think it important that my headphones block outside noise, but our house is fairly quiet (except when the washing machine is spinning or the microwave is on!) so all I hear when I have my headphones on is the music.

I must admit, I would not be keen to wear these 'in-the-ear' earpieces that these youngsters seem to wear. All the sound vibration would be ending up on the eardrum which would probably give me a headache after a while.

I wear my headphones a lot (never listen to my keyboard via speakers, and always use headphones on my laptop) and have never been aware of my head getting overheated! Just my brain!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 29 Dec 2020 08:57

Hi

A couple more comments - I've not had any great problem with sweat buildup when using headphones - Sennheiser are not greatly different to any other maker in that respect in my experience, and at times I've had headphones on for well over an hour when making live. I've also not had problems with sound leakage (or at least, no-one has complained. Open back headphones however don't isolate from ambient noise, nor keep the sound from leaking, but they do sound a little more open & realistic. You pays your money & takes your choice!

As to ear buds (and I notice that the Hi-Fi fraternity have jumped on this bandwagon offering supposedly hi quality units at exorbitant prices). They need to be used with care because they couple very efficiently with the mechanisms of the ear, and so excess volume can rapidly cause irrervsible hearing loss. If you use them (I don't) then use with care! Age-related hearing loss is enough of a problem without adding to it.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby lesh » 29 Dec 2020 12:44

Well Thank you both for all your input, invaluable information which I have thought hard about, definitely decide on a Sennheiser headphone and having compared the 206 and other more expensive ones it’s going to be the HD206.

Will certainly add a post with my feedback once received and tested.

Many thanks again for input.

Wishing you both a Happy New Year.

Les
lesh
Active Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat