Advent Sunday 2020

Any Religious pieces .. please post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Advent Sunday 2020

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 27 Nov 2020 09:40

Hi

I had agreed to do a service for Advent Sunday at Wolston before the latest lockdown - so, thanks to the Covid restrictions, I ended up doing the whole thing - not ideal! The service will be available on You Tube generally from Saturday 6:00 pm. The link below may well work before then! I've also uploaded the main music tracks as usual.

Complete service (about 40 minutes)

Opening voluntary - Picardy - a hymn-tune voluntary by Alec Rowley

The opening song is an up-tempo number, so I thought I'd dig out my Yamaha PSR-E433 arranger and try & get to grips with the automatic accompaniment, a facility I very rarely use! I also used the on-board recording facility to add a piano overdub. There's a few rough edges here & there, but I thought it went fairly well, especially since I'd not used the automatics for about 8 years (keyboard was bought primarily as a source of orchestral sounds to supplement a small pipe organ)

Next up is a modern hymn to a very well-known tune.

One of the more traditional Advent hymns next. There are several tunes commonly used for this hymn, so you may know it better to one of them!

A somewhat more recent worship song next. This is from my ever-growing archives, recorded just a few weeks ago.

And we conclude with a good sing!

The closing voluntary is a lot quieter! It's a setting of the tune we know as "O come, O come Emmanuel", and features chimes - a stop that's common on American church organs, but pretty rare in the UK - however, one of the "hidden" sounds on my Viscount Envoy organ is chimes - so here it is!

Enjoy

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Re: Advent Sunday 2020

Postby Carloss » 27 Nov 2020 18:59

This is astonishing. A tribute of love. Just so nice.
Carloss
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Instruments: Vertical Piano and a Digital p125 Yamaha Keyboard.
Carloss
Super Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 28 Nov 2020 09:21

Thanks Carloss

Just what normally have played at church tomorrow.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Nov 2020 22:09

Hi Tony,

What a mammoth task you have completed here! Well done! Loved the duet you played with yourself for Soon and very soon. You are a technological wizard!

Then Christ is surely coming (Land of hope and glory). It's so nice to hear this tune played so well, with all those lovely harmonies coming across just as they should. Loved it!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 29 Nov 2020 09:24

Thanks Hugh

I do have a background in radio production & audio recording & A/V work, so technology doesn't phase me (although the control systems on most modern keyboards & entertainment organs does - give me one control per function any day!) The multi-tracking was done on the inbuilt recording system on the PSR - I had to dig out the manual to try & work out how to do it (and the manual isn't the clearest example of technical writing I've ever seen!) Still - it worked. Not bad considering it was the first time for getting on for 10 years since I last used the backings on the keyboard! Everything else was fairly straightforward - it was putting the videos together that took the time.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 29 Nov 2020 12:47

Hi Tony. That was some performance. Enjoyed my watch and singalong. Liked that duet a lovely listen. Some old favourites Land of hope and glory and clouds descending. Emanuel was a great ending. You can put your feet up now. Keep safe.John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 30 Nov 2020 09:59

Hi

Wish I could put my feet up - Christmas is looming! And I want to try & get the house tidied up & a couple of rooms sorted out properly before then.

Thanks for the positive comments

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Religious Music