Adding Sub-Titles to your Movies using VideoPad

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Adding Sub-Titles to your Movies using VideoPad

Postby dentyr » 19 Aug 2021 01:38

Adding Sub-Titles to Your Movies created using VideoPad

To add sub-titles to your clips be prepared for the program to try to do what it wants to do.

OK, let’s go.

Sub-titles are put in to your video in a TIME position, not on the clip.

1. Put your clips into the storyboard in the order that you want.

2. Click on the sub-title icon on the top bar. This will bring down the subtitle box for you to play with.

3. Ensure that you have your sub-titles organised for entry. This box can be VERY frustrating with the timing as you will probably find out.

4. Slide the red pointer line (cursor) to the start of the first clip that you want to sub-title. Press the GREEN CROSS to Add a sub-title.

In the bar at the bottom of the sub-title box you will have the time position of the cursor, the start time of your sub-title and the end time of your sub-title. These times will probably be random so be careful.

5. Go to the box on the bottom left and type in your sub-title. The program does not tell you this, it is a big secret.

Den .. yes it does tell you, momentarily. This is what I got when I clicked on that GREEN CROSS. But .. those words were just off the screen, at the very bottom. If you scroll down real quick you will see them before they disappear. This message didn't appear when doing subsequent subtitles .. Hugh

If you click on Format you get all the options for your TEXT .. Font; Bold; Italics, Underline; Text Colour; Font Size.

6. Now set the END time!! If you don’t the program will tell you that the start must be before the end which is logical to a Umun but not to a machine. The end time can be found by running the cursor to the end of the clip. (Logic.) If you do not set the end time first then you will get a note telling you that you must do the end point before the start point. IT WILL NOT LET THIS GO! To get out of this situation I deleted my sub-title and started again. If you are correct then press Apply.

Den .. the Start Time is in RED and the End Time is in BLUE. You can SET the Start and End Times manually .. or drag the square brackets along the Timeline and position them where you want them. When you hover your mouse over the BLUE or RED square brackets it momentarily tells you this. Do the BLUE one first to set the End Time. As Den said, you can't set the Start Time after the End Time .. Hugh

Image Image

7. Now in the middle box on the left you will see your sub-title text and the timings, start and end.

8. Press the green cross again for the next sub-title. It will probably put it at the start again so watch out for that.

9. Type in your next sub-title and ensure that the END time is set and then the start time. Just check where the cursor is at that time.

10. After each entry check that the sub-title and your clip is where YOU want it. The program has a tendency to shift things around. However, in the sub-title box you can step the sub-titles up and down and also adjust the times. The program's favourite is to make some of the start and end times the same. That is why you don’t see your subtitle.

11. After adding each sub-title press the Apply button.
For me, after much frustration, I wrote the clip name title, the start of where I wanted the sub-title and end time of the title.
Like all programmers, they know what they want the program to do but forget that we have to run it. Then the program runs wild and we have to sort it. Just have fun.

Here is the result of doing the above.

Den

PS. Hugh and I have been collaborating on this, but with me in Australia and Hugh in UK there has been an inevitable time-lapse in updating this Topic.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Adding Sub-Titles to your Movies using VideoPad

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 19 Aug 2021 08:34

Hi

I couldn't find any free or budget video edit software that allowed subtitles when I was looking to upgrade last year when I needed to add lyrics for the recordings I was making for church.

I got round in (Premiere Elements) by taking one of the standard title layouts and modifying it (size of text & position) and saving that to change and reuse each time. It's cumbersome but it worked, and positioning is a doddle, just go the point where you want the screen to appear & drop it in on the top timeline - black background in titles is really transparent, so no need to do more unless the underlying picture is too bright. Length is set by simply dragging the bar in the timeline to where you want it.

I've recently written an article about how I produced my hymn recordings during lockdown, published in the last 2 editions of the Electronic Organ Constructors' Society magazine. I'll consider making it available on line at some point.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Aug 2021 22:16

I have now carried out Den's instructions and done my own DEMO for Adding Sub-Titles. I positioned my Start and End Times by dragging the BLUE and RED square brackets, hence the strange timings for the Start and End points. However, having done that I decided that rather than moving the square brackets it would have been easier to type the times I wanted the subtitles to appear directly into those Start & End boxes each time. When I clicked on Apply it went back to the original screen showing my movie clips, so I had to click on the SUB (Subtitles) icon again.

Then, before clicking on the GREEN PLUS ..

.. I moved the red cursor to the start of the next photo (approx.).

These are the timings I ended up with for my Subtitles to appear.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Adding Sub-Titles to your Movies

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 20 Aug 2021 08:43

Thanks Hugh

Maybe I'll take a look at the software when I find time.

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 20 Aug 2021 11:30

Hugh. Putting in subtitles, scrolling the text over the picture and "Follow Me" are some of the many things that create frustration until you get to use them. Once or twice through the program and it gets to be second nature. I just hope that we are helping people. To start, some people don't know that you can do these things. Then when they do discover something that can be done and it does not work for them they give up. It is just a matter that we are inquisitive enough to try and sort these things. My motto is; if it is in the program then learn how to use it. Discovering just what can be done is all the fun of the fair.
Thanks for your post. Dennis.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Creating Videos