Movie Maker from Windows Live Essentials 2012

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Movie Maker from Windows Live Essentials 2012

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Dec 2020 13:40

Windows Movie Maker

This is the program I normally use for making Videos from MP3s and photographs stored on my computer .. or pictures/video clips I have downloaded from the internet that are royalty free. Movie Maker was originally 'packaged' with Windows XP, but there was a newer version bundled with Windows Live Essentials which was much better, and easier to use, and this is the one I am using here. Unfortunately, this version of Movie Maker is no longer available for download with Windows 10. But if you have it, great! Go to Local Disc (C:), scroll down to Program Files (x86). Click on that and look for Windows Live. If that's not there, then you don't have it. If it is there, then click on Windows Live, scroll down to Photo Gallery and click on that. MovieMaker.exe is on the right. If you do a right-click on that you have the option to Create Shortcut to click on on your desktop.

When you first run Movie Maker this is what you see. This is the Home screen. The tabs over the top are all the options to make the video; the left hand black square is where you can 'play' the video; and the area on the right is where all your material is dropped as you put the video together.

You start by clicking on Add videos and photos, which you choose from a folder on your computer. So best to get all the photos, video clips and the MP3 you want to use all into a folder ready and waiting.

But before you start doing this, decide what type of video you want to do. There are two sizes, Widescreen (16:9) or Standard (4:3). If you're doing Widescreen then basically your pictures should be 1920 x 1080 pixels (1920 ÷ 16 = 120. 120 x 9 = 1080). To set which of Widescreen or Standard you want to do, click on the tab Project at the top. And as the objective is for people to listen to your music, you may as well click on Emphasise Music too.

You will have seen on that Home Screen that you can create a Title from here. You can choose a background colour, the font you want to use and the size of font.

This video below explains how to use Movie Maker. Bear with it, as once he gets into the nitty gritty of the program he explains everything very well.

How to use Windows Live Movie Maker - Easy Tutorial

This is what your working page looks like as you start putting your video together.

Having put all your photos & video clips into that area to the right, you can pick up and drag any one of them to left or right. And if you click the mouse on any one of them and press the Delete on your keypad it will remove that image.

You can also click on the Music symbol (Add music) at the top and add your MP3. The MP3 will 'stop playing' when you reach the end of the pictures you have added so far, but the MP3 is all there. As you add more pictures you get to hear more of your MP3.

Next, move across to Animations.

Click with your mouse on one of the images. The Transitions are at the top on the left, and the Pan and Zoom are on the right.

TRANSITIONS put interesting changes from one picture to the next. Hover your mouse over a transition and it will show you the effect you will get. Click on the one you want. To see all the TRANSITIONS available click the 'down-arrow' on the right hand side and you get this.

PAN and ZOOM are over on the right, and again click on the 'down-arrow' on the right to see all the options available. Hovering your mouse over the top of the Pan/Zoom will show you what happens with the picture. Click on the one you want.

At any time, you can SAVE your work as a wlmp file. It is definitely worth doing this, as if you haven't finished your project you can then get back to it later by double-clicking on the file and it will launch your project back up again so you can carry on with it and make more changes to your work. Please note that you must not move any pictures from one folder to another once you have saved one of these wlmp files, or when you want to get it up and running again it won't be able to find the pictures.

To do this, click on File at the top, then Save project as

When you have finally finished your project, you need to SAVE it as an MP4. There are various formats depending if you want to put your video on YouTube, or Facebook etc. Go back to the Home screen and click on the Save movie on the right.

This is the final video I put up on YouTube using Movie Maker.

Click the back-arrow after watching to get back to this page.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Movie Maker from Windows Live Essentials 2012

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 Dec 2020 10:53

Hi

I used WMM when I started doing videos - can't beat the price, and I was surprised at how many facilities there were - especially on a free programme.

I upgraded to a couple of paid-for programmes, and I'm currently using Adobe Premiere Elements & have downloaded the free starter version of Media Composer (the basic version of a fully pro. video editor). Not tried it yet - I haven't had time to cope with the learning curve of a new programme, certainly not this side of Christmas!

I perhaps should add that I worked in audio & radio in the past as well as a bit of AV. Before computer video editing came along, the last job (of just a handful) was done on U-Matic video recorders (in the day the next step up from domestic machines). Things are so much easier these days!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Dec 2020 13:22

Just to show you what a brilliant programme Movie Maker is, here is a video done by Brian007. In this one Brian has used some video clips rather than 'stills' and has put comments into his video about the piece he is playing. He has got these to scroll up the screen. Notice that he also has 'smooth' transitions between one video clip and another. I can't imagine why Microsoft decided that TRANSITIONS were not important enough to include in the Video edit program they gave us in Photos in Windows 10. Even the 'Picture Viewer' we have in our hallway that rotates the family photographs has transitions between each photograph.

Click the back arrow after watching to get back to this page.

All this has been done using Movie Maker. But then what you have watched above is not just the Movie Maker programme, it is the creativity of the person using the program that has put together something that is rather special to watch. And it was Brian who had put this video together. It's a bit like saying a particular keyboard is brilliant when you are listening to something, when in fact it's the person playing the keyboard who is brilliant!
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Dec 2020 21:05

I said at the start of this Topic that Microsoft no longer offer Windows Live as a download.
This is what they say about it.

Windows Essentials
Windows 7 Windows 8.1 Windows 10

We're no longer offering the Windows Essentials 2012 suite for download, but if you already have it installed, it will continue to work as it does today. It reached end of support on January 10, 2017, and it isn't available in Windows 10.

Note: Any websites offering free downloads of Windows Movie Maker are not offering sanctioned Microsoft products. Be cautious as these products may contain viruses or hidden costs.

Windows Essentials 2012 included:
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Photo Gallery
Windows Live Writer
Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Family Safety
OneDrive desktop app for Windows
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 10 Dec 2020 22:02

I have just acquired a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. No Movie Maker on this one. But I have done a Google search for Windows Live Essentials 2012, and have come across this.

This is offered as a free download by CNET. Who are CNET? An American company who believe that Microsoft have too much control over the internet and offer downloads for FREE from their website. They have downloads from their site for a host of Apps from other providers.

This is their LINK to Windows Live Essentials 2012:

https://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-Essentials-2012/3000-20418_4-10805747.html

This is what you see when you get there.

Click on the DOWNLOAD NOW in the green area as shown. Don't click on any other 'download' buttons as they will be adverts for something else, which you would not want.

This is what they say about this program:

Key Details of Windows Live Essentials 2012
Do more with Windows on your PC with programs from Microsoft
Last updated on 09/16/17
There have been 0 updates within the past 6 months
The current version has 0 flags on VirusTotal

Editors' Review - shelbybrown Jan 9, 2009

Windows Live Essentials is a free Microsoft-developed suite that bundles instant messaging, email, blogging, and photo management. We're big fans of software suites that auto-update without getting in the way, and that let you weed out unwanted applications from its roster without having to get sneaky. Windows Live Essentials does both. The software suite of seven Windows Live applications doesn't shy away from the marketing vehicle it is, and it also detects and updates Microsoft-related items that aren't installed as part of the pack, such as Outlook and Silverlight. Our biggest complaint is its size, which weighs in at 134MB. However, if you've got space to spare and use Windows Live applications such as Messenger, Outlook, and Windows Live Family Safety, this all-in-one bundle will help you keep things current.

So I have downloaded this, successfully, and have looked for Movie Maker in Local Disc (C:), Program Files (x86), found Movie Maker and put the icon on my desktop. It runs just fine, and now I have Movie Maker back.

Den
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Dec 2020 22:20

Den,

I have spoken to Les (lesh) who has tried this and it got 'stuck' at one point and he had to abort the download. He tried this three times, without success.

I have looked again at your CNET site (as you obviously trust it) and put in a search for Movie Maker. I had read on the internet that although Movie Maker is part of Windows Live Essentials 2012 you don't have to download all of it. You can pick and choose which parts of it you want. So I reckon that the below is just the Movie Maker part of this.

This is the LINK when you click on the above:

https://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-Movie-Maker/3000-13631_4-10965753.html

But on looking into this further, I haven't found a button to download it (all the Download buttons on that page are for something else!), and they say this:

Windows Live Movie Maker
By Microsoft FREE Editors' Rating
Download.com has removed the direct-download link and offers this page for informational purposes only.

So I think we are scuppered on this one!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 10 Dec 2020 23:17

Hi Den,

As Hugh has said I failed to get Movie Maker on my Laptop, it started the download but failed half way though, I had some error message but I forgot to make a note of it.

The link and Download page you show in your post looks the same as the one I visited so Well done for the successful download.

Les
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Dec 2020 11:35

Hi Hugh,

I wish I had read this page yesterday ( just found it today ) Made a short video for my Christmas song first one in ages ans I really struggled to remember how to do it and had to keep referring back to google to find out, If I had seen this page all the answers to my problems are here, good tutorial Hugh

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Creating Videos