So you want/have a YouTube Channel ...

Record something on your keyboard, create a video to go with it .. and post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

So you want/have a YouTube Channel ...

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jul 2021 10:11

If you've done (or have) an MP4 for Music with Movies then the place to put it for others to listen to is on YouTube (or there are other places like Vimeo).

To create a YouTube Channel you need to be logged in to your Google Account. You will have an Email Address associated with this so always use the same one for YouTube. You don't want several YouTube Channels!

Getting started | How and why to sign in to YouTube and create a YouTube channel

When you create a YouTube Channel don't use a pseudonym! Use your actual name. Why wouldn't you? Friends and family know you by your name so if they do a YouTube Search to see if you have a Channel they will put in your name .. not a pseudonym. An example of this. When on the YouTube site (not Google) put in a Search for Hugh Wallington, scroll down a bit and you will see my Channel listed.

If my Channel was called Hugh-AR (my pseudonym for TDP) how would my friends find me? They don't know me by that name!

To Upload a Video

Look in the top right hand corner of your Channel Page and you will see CREATE. Click on that and you get a drop-down box:

Choose Upload videos and you get this:

Click SELECT FILES and you will be confronted with the Folders on your computer to find the MP4 you want to upload.
Find the MP4 file and then click on Open.

That 'upload' arrow in the picture above will jump, showing that your video is being uploaded.

While it is uploading, take the opportunity to fill out all the boxes and make all the choices you need to do for your video.

The first box is Title (required); and the second is Description.

What you type in the Title (required) box will (a) show underneath the video on YouTube, and (b) be the words showing across the top of an Embedded video.

(a)

(b)

The WORDS you type in the Description box are used by YouTube to give results of YouTube Searches. So as a very minimum should be the same as the Title. Then eg. If someone searches for La Playa - Jacky Cordier - Tyros 4 the video will be found as these words are in the Description. It may be on Page 4, but it will be there!

What you type in the Description appears under the video, further down. You can have up to 5,000 words in your description, so put a bit more information up, particularly if someone may do a Search with those words. Eg. If your song is something sung by Pat Boone, you could put "Originally sung by Pat Boone", which gives credit to the Artiste as well as giving another Search option.

YouTube will automatically select a Thumbnail to 'front' your video. They give you three, and use the one they think is best .. which you can change. Just click one of the other ones.

If you don't like any of them you can upload a picture of your own. Clicking on that first Upload thumbnail box you will be directed to Folders on your computer to find one. Clicking on the question mark it says:

.. or in other words, don't use a Copyright picture, or one of someone without their permission.

You then have the option of creating Playlists. This helps keep 'like minded videos' in the same place. I have my AR80 Organ videos together; and my Tyros 4 ones together. These are the Playlists I have created.

Your next option is Made for kids. The 'default' is Not made for kids. It may not be obvious here what they are after. This has nothing to do with if kids are in the video; or if it's suitable for kids to watch. It has to have been specifically 'made for kids' to change this default. My keyboard music has not been specifically 'made for kids'. How many kids would want to watch one of my videos? But if I had done a video about how to play Hopscotch .. then that would be 'made for kids'.

Next .. COPYRIGHT. Just what you've been waiting for! Let's face it, everything we play on our keyboards is Copyright ie. they are songs that have been written by somebody else (unless it's your own composition .. and that may be difficult to prove anyway!). YouTube have computer programs (Algorithms) that scan every bit of audio going up to check if any of it is Copyright material. We are talking about 'melodies' here, not the backing track. If it is, you get a Copyright claim put on your video. This is nothing that should concern you. It just means that YouTube may put Adverts on your video, and the Copyright holders get the revenue from them doing this. If you don't get a Copyright Claim it means you haven't played the song closely enough to the original for it to be picked up! Or, your song is an old one and 'out of Copyright'.

Also, you are not allowed to Monetize your video (ie. make money out of it). Yes, there are people who make a living out of doing videos, but it involves a lot of work getting people to 'follow' your Channel.

Lastly, for it to go LIVE you have to Publish your video.

The options are:
1. Private. Private means only those you invite to view the video can view it (they must have their own YouTube accounts and the maximum number is 50 usernames).
2. Unlisted. Unlisted means your video will not show in any search results or your channel page. Only those who know the link can watch the video.
3. Public. Public means that anyone with the link can watch it; and it will be listed on your YouTube Channel page; and will be picked up in YouTube Searches.

One last thing to mention. You can change any of the above at any time. When you are watching your own videos on your own Channel you will see EDIT VIDEO underneath the video. Click on that.

The sections you can Edit are all there, and after making changes you have to click on SAVE, top right, for the changes to take effect.

Any questions or comments, please click on POSTREPLY.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: So you want/have a YouTube Channel ...

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Feb 2023 23:03

Further comments on PLAYLISTS.

What is a PLAYLIST? It is like a FOLDER in an office filing system (or on a computer) ie. in the folder you would expect to find items with a common thread.

When I go to my YouTube Channel page I see these 'tabs' at the top. The VIDEOS one lists all my uploads, including the ones that are UNLISTED (but only I can see those. It is my channel!).

The next one along is PLAYLISTS,

When you are uploading your videos, you can create PLAYLISTS of your own to pop them into. But only do this if you have a purpose for doing it. For example, you may want to have all your Instrumental uploads in a playlist, and Vocals in another.

In my case, I have an AR80 organ; and a Tyros 4 keyboard .. so those are playlists to have for starters. I then have DEMOS I put up in the Forum for explaining something .. so that is another one.

These are my PLAYLISTS.

It is then easy for someone to check out the video uploads I have and only watch the ones that interest them. Eg. an AR80 owner may not be interested in listening to my Tyros 4 recordings; and probably no one would want to look at my Demos, as they would be meaningless when watched out of context.

Note: You 'tick the box' for the PLAYLIST you want your video to appear in .. and can pop it into more than one if that is relevant.

You can change a PLAYLIST entry at any time.

How?

'Play' the video you want to change .. and STOP it playing. Underneath you will see Edit video.
(Or, on the page that lists all your uploads, click the 'pencil' icon just to the right of the video you want to select.)

Click on that and you will get all the details you put in when uploading your video to YouTube.
Scroll down a bit until you see Playlists.

Clicking on the down-arrow you will see listed all your PLAYLISTS and the current playlist for the video you have selected will have a tick in it. If you want to create a new Category, click on NEW PLAYLIST at the bottom.

To remove a video from a PLAYLIST just untick the box. To include it in another one, just tick that box.
If you leave all the boxes blank, then the video won't be put into any PLAYLIST.

Click DONE.

Finally, in order to save any changes you have made to the details you entered when you uploaded your video (and that includes eg. the Title, or the words in your Description) you must click the SAVE, top right.

You will have gathered from what I have been saying that you can make changes at any time to anything you entered when you uploaded your video. ie. Any of the TEXT can be changed .. but not the video itself. If you decide you no longer want your video up there you can DELETE it (forever). The option for doing this is on the page where all your uploads are listed. You have to hover your mouse over the video you want for the options to show. Look for the three little dots, one above the other, and click on that.

The options then appear in a drop-down box.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Music with Movies