Changing STYLES as you play through a song

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 May 2021 23:30

When you play a song, how do you go about changing the STYLE as you play through it? Or do you just stick to the same backing from beginning to end? The Yamaha AR Organ has what is known as the 'D' button. Press that and the STYLE will remain the same whatever buttons you press. Maybe the FREEZE button will do the same on Yamaha keyboards? Most people, once they have made their minds up which Style they are going to use just stick to the same one, and switch between MAIN VARIATION A, B, C, and D (on the AR Organ there are only two variations .. A and B). Yamaha have programmed these so that as you move along up the letters the STYLE gets busier and busier.

Here's an example of using the same STYLE right through a piece and changing the STYLE VARIATION as you go along.

Aber Dich gibt's nur einmal für mich • Tyros4

This video has had over 4 million views, and over 10,000 'likes'. Yes. a lovely piece of music to listen to.

But sticking to the same STYLE from the beginning of the song to the end is not always the best way to play something. In the above, if you listen to what the bass player is doing you will not hear much of a change between one variation and another. And listen to what the drummer is doing. He plays a heavy 'off beat' right through the piece from beginning to end. If our drummer in the band had done that he would have been given the push! The backing you use should form part of the 'arrangement' of the song, and sometimes this can mean changing the backing completely. You will then get a different bass part, and a different drum beat.

So how do you go about finding other STYLES that may fit parts of your song better? Or even decide which STYLE to use in the first place.

**Note**: The whole idea of doing what I am suggesting below is to check through several STYLES quickly, keeping the TEMPO the same. How else would you know if a STYLE would suit the song you are playing? If your keyboard reverts to the 'default' TEMPO even when the keyboard is playing, see the next post below.

Set your keyboard up so it is playing a STYLE (you have to have the ACMP ON) and set the TEMPO to what you want. Don't have a LEFT HAND VOICE, don't have the OTS LINK on, and don't play a melody. Just play some chords and listen to what the drummer, the bass player and the backing PARTS are doing. While you are playing some chords, switch the MAIN VARIATION from A, to B, to C, to D and make a mental note of what these are doing.

Don't stop the STYLE from playing. Next, press a CATEGORY button in the STYLE section, and press the button next to a STYLE you want to try. The STYLE will start playing, not at the 'default' TEMPO showing by the Style Name, but at the TEMPO you have the keyboard set at. At this point you can try out the A, B, C and D VARIATIONS to see what they sound like. Then choose another STYLE in that category and see what that sounds like. Check the A, B, C and D VARIATIONS. Maybe then try a completely different CATEGORY and try a STYLE from that.

Note that I am not 'saving' anything to a Registration Memory at the moment. I am just listening to what these various STYLES sound like, and if any of them would suit the song I am going to play. I know this is the age of technology, but a piece of paper and a pencil wouldn't go amiss to jot down any STYLES that catch your eye (or maybe I should say, catch your ear as listening is the important bit).

I will repeat here, the essence of all this is to keep the keyboard playing while you are changing STYLES and listening. If you stop the style playing then any new styles you choose will revert back to their 'default' TEMPO.

You may think that by pressing the FREEZE button you would 'freeze' the TEMPO for any subsequent choices of Style. No. it doesn't. The FREEZE is over in the REGISTRATION MEMORY section and we're not using that.

Below is a DEMO of doing this. I have set up the keyboard with Danzon from the Category LATIN, at a TEMPO of 128. Then switched to Bossa Nova in the same Category. Next, Country Blues from COUNTRY, followed by Pickin' Swing from the same Category. Then 60's Guitar Pop from POP & ROCK, followed by Bubblegum Pop from the same Category. Then Swingfox from BALLROOM .. and finally Jive from the same Category. Note that by not 'stopping' the STYLE from playing, all these are at the TEMPO of 128 that I chose at the start. For this recording I have kept the MAIN VARIATION on C for all of them.

STYLES from various CATEGORIES, all at a TEMPO of 128

Now you may very well say, "Why bother doing all this? I can just press a button and play my keyboard". That's true. But you have bought a keyboard that's full of technology to enable you to do things other than just 'press a button and play'. If you want to be creative with your music and make full use of your 'Arranger Keyboard' this is just one thing you can do to make your music 'your own' and not sound like everybody else.

In my next post I'll give some examples of using different STYLES in a piece. They never seem to do this in DEMOS on YouTube, and most recordings by keyboard players use the same STYLE for the whole piece. Here's one that uses the same STYLE right through. Nothing wrong with this as a piece to listen to. I love the changes in voicing, and the way he 'stops' the STYLE at certain points .. and comes in again with a bang. Knocks me off my stool! But he is using the same STYLE with all the PARTS right through from beginning to end.

Oh ! Carol cover Tyros 4

When the advert appears, click the X in the top right corner of the rectangle to remove it.

Glad to see that he was using his keyboard to record what he was playing. No doubt attached it to the video afterwards. The best way to get such a superb Audio Recording.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Changing STYLES as you play through a song

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Jun 2021 17:11

**Note**: Den tried carrying out the above on his Tyros 4 .. and every time he chose a new STYLE it reverted back to the 'default' TEMPO. He has looked into it, and here's why .. and what to do about it.

I keep saying that these keyboards we have are very complicated bits of kit. At the end of the day Yamaha want their keyboards to be used by professional musicians needing all this technology. We amateurs have to make sure the keyboard is set up for what we want it to do.

What we want is for the TEMPO to remain the same (HOLD) for whatever STYLE we choose 'on the fly'. JonD suggested maybe turn the FREEZE on and tick the TEMPO HOLD. Well, we do need a TEMPO HOLD .. but not that one.

Press the FUNCTION button in MENU.

In the next screen, choose STYLE SETTING / SPLIT POINT / CHORD FINGERING.

This is the screen you get .. and there you have it. In STYLE SETTING, STYLE CHANGE BEHAVIOUR set the TEMPO to HOLD.

Now it will HOLD the TEMPO when you change the STYLE 'on the fly' .. but only when the keyboard is 'playing'. If you STOP the Style playing and then choose another STYLE it will revert back to the 'default' TEMPO.

If you wanted the keyboard to revert back to the 'default' TEMPO every time you chose a different STYLE 'on the fly' then you would have to have that setting on RESET.

Thanks Den!
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 01 Jun 2021 17:12

Hi Hugh Lots to take on board. Will give it a try. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Jun 2021 17:13

Thanks John for commenting. Thing is, these keyboards of ours are very sophisticated pieces of kit. And so they should be, the amount they cost to buy when new. Yes, you can just switch them on and play them, but they do have the technology to do so much more besides. I think it all comes down to if you are just a 'player', or a musician wanting to get your keyboard to specifically do what you want to hear from your music. Most people say to me they'd rather just sit down and play their keyboards than spend time trying to do other things with them. To make an 'arrangement' that is specific to one particular song you have to know in your head what it is you are trying to do, and it takes a great deal of time and effort to set everything up. Sufficient to know that the keyboard you have has all the technology to create your own music should you wish to do that.

Here is an example of using different STYLES to 'Arrange' a piece rather than just play the piece through with one STYLE and switching between VARIATIONS A, B, C and D.

The Young Ones.

This starts with the STYLE 60's Pop Guitar from POP & ROCK. Then it switches to Bubblegum Pop from the same Category for just two bars (that's with the emphasis on the piano on beats 1 & 3) and then back to 60's Pop Guitar. Next, it goes on to 60's Vintage Pop, also from POP & ROCK before going back to the original 60's Pop Guitar STYLE. All three are on MAIN VARIATION C.

An 'Arrangement' of 'The Young Ones' using different STYLES - DEMO

If you want to listen to this piece right through from start to finish, it's here:

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 07 Mar 2024 05:36

What a brilliant post this is. Hugh, you must have spent a fair bit of time producing this . Much food for thought. Thank you J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Return to How to do things with Keyboards